NUFC accounts | Page 2 | Vital Football

NUFC accounts

On balance, as Rafa undergoes his contract negotiations, it is not unreasonable for him to hold out for a net summer spend of around £80-90m, having tried to be conservative, maybe through the 9 figure mark.

If Rafa got that figure and whatever he made from selling the likes of Mitro, Gayle and Mbemba, then we'd be in for a heck of a season next time out.

True, Toony.

Combined with another thread, he has a fair few quid in sales and wage savings. I reckon 3 strikers, 4 defenders with a gross spend of around £140m, including maybe an out of contract player or two, Rafa could assemble something very exciting.

I know it is paper talk but just think of the influence of a Torres and Iniesta as impact subs and what happens on the training field.

True, Toony.

Combined with another thread, he has a fair few quid in sales and wage savings. I reckon 3 strikers, 4 defenders with a gross spend of around £140m, including maybe an out of contract player or two, Rafa could assemble something very exciting.

I know it is paper talk but just think of the influence of a Torres and Iniesta as impact subs and what happens on the training field.

Aye definitely. Only issue being that aside from Ashley and his 'dodgy' dealings, he wont pay the wages that the better players want.

On one hand he welcomes the fact that you get too much money for nowt in the premier league but in the other, he begrudges cashing it out with a fair few lapping up the excuses.

That said, with 11 years experience here under his belt he must have learned something in the speculate to accumulate stakes and surely he'll allow a spend in the next few weeks. Mid May is now the opening time of the transfer window and the clock is ticking.

If Ashley has any sense, he will sacrifice some of his traits to get more value out of the club.

If Ashley has any sense, he will sacrifice some of his traits to get more value out of the club.

He'll have to as everyone has cottoned on to his idea of just bouncing between leagues without really spending owt.

It's getting too risky of a plan now with the championship getting stronger and no promotion guarantee without a decent, well paid manager to spearhead it. If Rafa leaves then his golden goose will lie in tatters.

He'll have to as everyone has cottoned on to his idea of just bouncing between leagues without really spending owt.

It's getting too risky of a plan now with the championship getting stronger and no promotion guarantee without a decent, well paid manager to spearhead it. If Rafa leaves then his golden goose will lie in tatters.

That's what you and many others said about Pardew.

That's what you and many others said about Pardew.

and it was proven right as things have changed. Whether by luck or chance, Ashley's ended up with Rafa.

I don't think Ashley has swayed from his real target of 17th or above in the premier league coupled with a relegation or 2 to keep the expectation levels down but this emergence of the feeling that Rafa has brought to the club has introduced just how much of a beast we can be for many of the younger supporters or newbies to Newcastle.

This forthcoming window is the first chance of something needing to be done without an excuse as there's been no relegation, no promotion to win or the turnover being threatened in any way. It's an increase that Rex says is a minimum of £80m per annum with greater scrutiny due to the increased support of the team or the bounce of the feel good factor that many have.

Now id hazard a guess that the delay of the accounts may be done in order to try and paint a false picture of the economy ahead of the window opening but the reality here is that it only covers stuff from the last 12 - 18 months ago, so hopefully everyone is switched on to this.

The next few weeks are the biggest test in Ashley's ownership because if he can't find a way to hide the fact that we can spend then it's goodbye Rafa and goodbye NUFC for most. That's guaranteed.

It's not that complicated toony.

The fans screamed for Pardew out and cited his presence as the overiding reason Ashley was getting away with his relentless raping of our club.

You and many others were adamant that once Pardew was ousted Ashley would not find someone as devious and morally bereft to carry out his dirty work.

He did,and now you attempt to pass it off as luck or chance !!

This burying of heads in the sand is the biggest threat to our club now,not Ashley.

Benitez will be replaced if he walks,I doubt he will though,unless the Gunners are looking to go back to the George Graham days.

The only other positive outcome would be a takeover but after the last fiasco (which I myself was suckered into) we should all doubt that one will happen.

The Rafture (sorry Christians) is a dream planted in your head by Mike Ashley.

The fact that supporters and fans are are willing to believe it further reinforces my assertion that it's not Ashley who's the biggest threat to our club.

Whilst going over a few things and trying to work out what cash there will be transparent this Summer, I reread the last account statement. It maybe contained a note to when the next accounts were coming out.

It said: The financial impact of relegation is difficult to overstate and this will become evident in our next set of financial results for the year ending June 2017.

If it's up until last June then surely next years accounts would be from then until the next set was posted and potentially, as things stand, less than a year's worth. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.

Whilst going over a few things and trying to work out what cash there will be transparent this Summer, I reread the last account statement. It maybe contained a note to when the next accounts were coming out.

It said: The financial impact of relegation is difficult to overstate and this will become evident in our next set of financial results for the year ending June 2017.

If it's up until last June then surely next years accounts would be from then until the next set was posted and potentially, as things stand, less than a year's worth. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.
I don't know if it helps but yes, accounts to June 2017 were due in March. Accounts for this season will be up to the end of June and due March 2019.

I don't know if it helps but yes, accounts to June 2017 were due in March. Accounts for this season will be up to the end of June and due March 2019.

Ok. Just thought id stumbled on to something. Seems we're no further forward in knowing aside from thinking that this is a 15 month thing.

The accounts are finally out and on the NUFC site. Compared with previous announcements, the information made available is abbreviated.

Expect more analysis over the next few days but for me, the biggest surprise is the wage bill at £112m which is significantly higher than anticipated. There might be a reason for that when you see the high waged players sold. If these were without transfer requests, then so called "loyalty" payments would be included. Note also that Coloccini's contract terminated early. It seems feasible that the pay offs account for the difference to expectations, along with what has now emerged as an almost 8 figure bonus scheme.

There has also been no mention in the (first) press release of the profits made on sales of players. Note that the £30m on Sissoko is almost pure profit.

Borrowings went up by £15m (longer term) and £8.3m negative cash, which could be overdraft or Ashley's pocket money. Note the difference in operating of just under £1m to the £91m loss. Note also the after tax figure, £4.6m profit to £43.1m loss. There is a £49.6m difference in those two levels of profit.

What does it mean?

There are implications for FFP. It also reduces projections of what can be spent in the transfer window which comes down to how much of his cash Ashley wants back.

The loss from last season will also be offset against this season's profit, thus reducing the tax bill for 2017-18.

We are probably looking at around £60-65m being a realistic net transfer budget.

Last edited:
Just to provide a different way of looking at it, Marky, the paper loss is an accounting figure which is put together with some quirks. It is always useful to separate paper profit and cash flow.

On cash/borrowings, the net figure is £23.3m worse off. That will be covered by Sissoko's instalments.

Costs include devaluaton of players' contracts which is a paper exercise.

The "increase" in wage bill is partly bonus, which they would not have got without promotion, and paying players off to transfer out. If it cost £5m to pay off Coloccini, and you save £10m on his wages in future years, you get the benefit later.

You don't want to pay too much attention to the £91m loss figure.

"If it cost £5m to pay off Coloccini, and you save £10m on his wages in future years, you get the benefit later."

Only if you stop buying decent players who command decent wages ?

Cheers Rexn.Dont really understand all this accounts.So will stick to my view that he is a thieving fat prick.Also if he had used the money he trousered from past transfers out when we were in the Premier League he wouldn't have had these so called losses when we went down.
Now we are going to get the Ashley lovers telling us he saved the club Again!!!

That's true, Piemag, or you trade down.

There is some rumour and guesswork but if you lose Coloccini on £120k per week and get in Clark on £30k, lose Steve Taylor on £40k per week and get Hanley on £20k, there is a short term hit and a longer term lower wage bill.

Marky, no suggestion from me that he saved the club. I take the view that he put in his pocket money for a winning lottery ticket but at much better odds.

Be interesting to know the actual state of play for Rafa this Summer then as this delay in announcing last year's figures is deliberately aimed at lowering the spend amount expectation. It's highly unlikely that there's anyone left that will fall for it though.

If the turnover is, as Rex says, around £180m then that's a £55m rise on our last premier league season so that may be the start off figure.