NUFC accounts | Page 3 | Vital Football

NUFC accounts

I tend to err on the side of conservative, Toony, but the figures are in for TV revenues, £123m this season, 72.7m 2 seasons ago.

What did surprise me in the accounts was how commercial revenues held up in the Championship. We should expect a lot better this year.

The question the journos should be asking about these figures though is the cost of the club to Ashley.

Why hide his real intention instead of trying to play the violin with this new debt figure of £144m as well as paper losses and fiddled wage amounts? For me, these accounts are further proof, if needed, that Ashley will never EVER sell the club.

We're the next level above a cash cow.

You have hit on one of the things that has been on my mind. Looking back, seeing as Staveley had access to the books, her valuation was pretty much spot on.

That "wage" figure was a surprise but then I can see why. Players' agents did a good job for their clients when the club thought it was a good idea to tie players to long term contracts. If you get sold early, the loyalty bonus is based on a percentage of 5 years instead of a percentage of 3 years.

If Ashley were to do a deal now at £350-365m, that seems fair. On the other hand, Rafa has developed and added value to many in the squad. Ashley now has bigger assets to strip.

If Ashley were to do a deal now at £350-365m, that seems fair. On the other hand, Rafa has developed and added value to many in the squad. Ashley now has bigger assets to strip.

He does and if Ashley's dream model for us to be a yo-yo club bears fruit then the likes of a sale of Lascelles and Shelvey will be bringing in £60m+.

Only spanner in these plans is Rafa wont stay here to allow it.

Just a throwaway comment as I may not make much sense with what im about to post but from what ive gathered today, the accounts may show the future wages of some players or their contracts paid up in full.

Aside from clearing the decks ahead of a sale, is there any other reason to do this?

Great question.

In essence, it is a one off hit of £30m. I'll resist getting technical. The simple answer is there can be a lot of reasons, including looking ahead to FFP and EUFA qualification in 2 or 3 years. Bear in mind that the season just finished could show a profit of £80m, even more, depending on what happens with the earlier transfer window.

That new profit puts a higher price on the club next year. It also gives new owners more scope so yes, it does help a sale.

In terms of the "any other reason", yes it can help lower Ashley's tax bill. Forget the £91m loss, the loss "after tax" as it is described of £40m reduces his tax in this financial year by 40% of £41m, put another way, he has saved £16m.

Some good knowledge Rex. I guess the next batch of questions will refer to when certain things happened. For example, if these paid up contracts were only done when promotion was secured then it has a rather different smell in my eyes. If that makes sense as I guess a continued stay in the EFL wouldn't have seen the need.

Some good knowledge Rex. I guess the next batch of questions will refer to when certain things happened. For example, if these paid up contracts were only done when promotion was secured then it has a rather different smell in my eyes. If that makes sense as I guess a continued stay in the EFL wouldn't have seen the need.
When you look at the payouts, the biggest would have been Coloccini who was released to play in Argentina. There are also people like Sissoko who was on I think a 5 year contract and on good enough money to forego his previous loyalty bonus, so a few £m there. Moncur et al were chicken feed.

He has to plan ahead a little.

What he did do is make the profits when back in the Premier League look bigger, therefore a higher price for a sale.

Another point and one where the stupid law makes it hard for new clubs coming up to compete straight away is the wage rule and only being allowed to spend a certain amount.

With ours being inflated in these recent accounts then surely that means there's scope to pay more wages or has Ashley shot himself in the foot here?

What amazes me about their pathetic whining about losses, the wage bill et all is that it's their ignorance and incompetence that's caused the problem.
i wonder who's fault the 'avoidance' of tax will be.
They really are a pathetic bunch of tossers.

Just thinking, something I have been trying to work out. On the wage bill, we were still paying a chunk of the wages for the likes of Thauvin, Riviere, de Jong and maybe a few more I have overlooked.

I think I am getting close to the extra £30m or so.

They are also committed to a further maximum NET spend of £46m this transfer window. Make of that what you will but with player sales Rafa could have about 70/80m to spend.

I can see that I am going to have to invest in a copy of the accounts to read the notes.

From last week's announcements, there are no real further surprises there, apart maybe from how amortisaton increased. My guess is the timing of sales contributed to that.

I can see how that £46m net figure is arrived at. My own estimate was £60-65m. My reckoning is that transfer instalments are also coming in and commercial revenues should be on the increase. Just imagine if his retail arm paid for the advertising, especially with the bonus of being on TV 18 times.

However, since Ashley's loan to the club went up, maybe he is clawing some of that back.

According to The Mag and football finance expert Kieran Maguire :

After poring over the various numbers in the NUFC accounts he has declared:
“Have crunched more numbers…
“Newcastle United EBITDA loss, used by analysts and excludes non-cash and one off items, is £19.8m, much less than quoted in press release.
“EBITDA profits £116m in previous 4 yrs, so don’t expect MA to be seen selling the Big Issue just yet.”

So in terms of the real hit on the club, the £19.8m figure Kieran Maguire has come up with, is very similar to the £25m cash figure that supported the club through the season in the second tier.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/05/fo...ofits-last-4-years-newcastle-united-accounts/

Funnily enough, Keggy, there is a post on this thread put up at 3.27pm last Friday that puts the figure as £23.3m. Close enough to £25m though, he rounded up.

There is another ridiculous side to the accounts, if anyone thinks Ashley is losing money over this.

Just a quick look at the book value on some of the players shows how the piggy bank is pretty full.

Lascelles was bought for £3.5m. Assuming he was on a 5 year contract, his book value was £1.4m when the accounts were put together. Shelvey would be £3.6m, Ayoze £320k Dummett, being academy, is £0. The list goes on.

It seems fair to say that we would expect a couple of quid more in transfer fees if we sold them now.

Cheers, Toony.

The thing that staggers me there is commercial income. To be below Villa is perhaps vaguley understandable but to be below both Norwich and Leeds suggests a huge mismanagement somewhere in NUFC.