No News Now | Page 3 | Vital Football

No News Now

Will,
no need for you to apologise.
Dont be put off in asking questions or posting your thoughts as they are very constructive and refreshing to read.

Really appreciate this comment, man. I'm just quite interested in mental health, particularly in younger people. I see so many threads on social media sites, made by people who are genuinely suffering, and I do believe that mental health issues are becoming increasingly prevalent in people my age. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why this is. Increased exam pressure and expectation? The emergence of social media? It's probably a combination of a number of different factors, but all I know is that the abuse and vitriol on social media could easily make somebody view the world as a more hateful place than it really is. Either way, my mantra is to always try and be kind, and to go the extra mile for people whenever possible. I think that we should always give people the benefit of the doubt, especially those that we don't know that well, as we can never truly understand what's going on in a person's life. I guess the difficulty, though, comes in terms of finding a balance between being generous and cooperative, and being overly passive and thus taken advantage of in the dog-eat-dog, competitive society that we are living in.

Mental health is a complicated issue, which is sadly still stigmatised in our society, in my opinion. We've definitely got better, but I still don't think that people take mental health seriously enough, and until they do, change will be hard to come by. I do believe that we all have happiness within us, however. We just need to surround ourselves with the right people to unlock it (and the 'Tics preferably need to be winning) ;).

Last edited:
Sorry mate, probably my fault for changing the subject. I was just interested in whether the apparent consensus of people my age being less socially competent than previous generations of younger people, was true. Didn't expect it to open up all of this. :(

Your eloquent comments are very welcome on this forum - makes a change from some of the aggresive and hateful remarks that have unfortunately again been exhibited by the usual suspects in this thread!

Mental health is a complicated issue, which is sadly still stigmatised in our society, in my opinion. We've definitely got better, but I still don't think that people take mental health seriously enough, and until they do, change will be hard to come by.

Indeed, mental health is an incredibly complex and important topic that means an awful lot to so many people. As you say, unfortunately there is still an ugly stigma attached to it, with the current lack of support and funding for improved mental health treatment encapsulating the sheer ambivalence many people in authority show towards what is an increasingly serious national epidemic.

I believe - over time - things will improve once there is a much-needed injection of empathy and compassion into British society. Will be interesting to see how things progress over the next few years!

Really appreciate this comment, man. I'm just quite interested in mental health, particularly in younger people. I see so many threads on social media sites, made by people who are genuinely suffering, and I do believe that mental health issues are becoming increasingly prevalent in people my age. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why this is. Increased exam pressure and expectation? The emergence of social media? It's probably a combination of a number of different factors, but all I know is that the abuse and vitriol on social media could easily make somebody view the world as a more hateful place than it really is. Either way, my mantra is to always try and be kind, and to go the extra mile for people whenever possible. I think that we should always give people the benefit of the doubt, especially those that we don't know that well, as we can never truly understand what's going on in a person's life. I guess the difficulty, though, comes in terms of finding a balance between being generous and cooperative, and being overly passive and thus taken advantage of in the dog-eat-dog, competitive society that we are living in.

Mental health is a complicated issue, which is sadly still stigmatised in our society, in my opinion. We've definitely got better, but I still don't think that people take mental health seriously enough, and until they do, change will be hard to come by. I do believe that we all have happiness within us, however. We just need to surround ourselves with the right people to unlock it (and the 'Tics preferably need to be winning) ;).
Thankyou for that young un. What a great example to your generation. Nice words. Puts a few of old gits to shame that.

Indeed, mental health is an incredibly complex and important topic that means an awful lot to so many people. As you say, unfortunately there is still an ugly stigma attached to it, with the current lack of support and funding for improved mental health treatment encapsulating the sheer ambivalence many people in authority show towards what is an increasingly serious national epidemic.

I believe - over time - things will improve once there is a much-needed injection of empathy and compassion into British society. Will be interesting to see how things progress over the next few years!

I hope you're right, man. We're finding so many new ways of treating diseases, and life expectancies are rising, which is obviously incredible, but unfortunately, in neglecting mental health we are neglecting an issue that leads to more male deaths than any one form of cancer or other disease. However, I have seen signs of improvement, with a greater number of people speaking of their troubles and therefore raising awareness. My sixth form now has its own counsellor, which is obviously a step in the right direction. I agree with you that, in time, mental health problems will hopefully be seen on the same level as physical health problems, and eventually the funding for research will be provided.

I think the key is just to be kind, as not only do you make others feel better, but through doing so, you can also cheer yourself up, as well. It's easier said than done of course, but I think we should all make a conscious effort to do this.

I hope you're right, man. We're finding so many new ways of treating diseases, and life expectancies are rising, which is obviously incredible, but unfortunately, in neglecting mental health we are neglecting an issue that leads to more male deaths than any one form of cancer or other disease. However, I have seen signs of improvement, with a greater number of people speaking of their troubles and therefore raising awareness. My sixth form now has its own counsellor, which is obviously a step in the right direction. I agree with you that, in time, mental health problems will hopefully be seen on the same level as physical health problems, and eventually the funding for research will be provided.

I think the key is just to be kind, as not only do you make others feel better, but through doing so, you can also cheer yourself up, as well. It's easier said than done of course, but I think we should all make a conscious effort to do this.

Nice words Will and all I can say to you lad is what I said to my own over the years...there is no problem on this earth that can't be solved between a dad and his son...be it drugs , money , girls or anything else. So many times young lads take the horrible way out probably through desperation...talk to someone you trust , hopefully it's your dad but if not someone you trust. I believe drugs are the root of a lot of evil today and the authorities need to target the dealers and sweep this shit from our streets. We all know them so why the feck don't the police.

In conclusion Will...don't bottle anything up mate..a problem shared is halved immediately.

Nice words Will and all I can say to you lad is what I said to my own over the years...there is no problem on this earth that can't be solved between a dad and his son...be it drugs , money , girls or anything else. So many times young lads take the horrible way out probably through desperation...talk to someone you trust , hopefully it's your dad but if not someone you trust. I believe drugs are the root of a lot of evil today and the authorities need to target the dealers and sweep this shit from our streets. We all know them so why the feck don't the police.

In conclusion Will...don't bottle anything up mate..a problem shared is halved immediately.

Thanks a lot for the advice - I will certainly take it on board. The last part about a problem shared being a problem halved is so true.