Nick's Vin du Jour | Page 3 | Vital Football

Nick's Vin du Jour

We do like some from New Zealand and Chile. (Chile has some outstanding Reds!)

For price points...we rarely spend above $30...we like to stay around $25-30 for casual drinking.

You see the wine chat is good....that's why I started a thread for it on the non football side. It's probably buried in the depths of inactivity somewhere.

You see the wine chat is good....that's why I started a thread for it on the non football side. It's probably buried in the depths of inactivity somewhere.
I remember your wine thread, that's why I mentioned wine in reply to your post earlier. It's a shame that there has been little or no activity on it since I've been a regular poster here. Sadly, I don't have the resources in retirement to follow up on many of 80's recommendations except for special occasions.

I remember your wine thread, that's why I mentioned wine in reply to your post earlier. It's a shame that there has been little or no activity on it since I've been a regular poster here. Sadly, I don't have the resources in retirement to follow up on many of 80's recommendations except for special occasions.

I titled it Vin du Jour. I wasn't happy because 80 changed it without asking by putting Nick's at the start. It wasn't meant to be specific to me. It was for everyone.

It's funny, I only occasionally buy expensive wine so I recommend anything under C$40. We have very few under C$20. The government has a monopoly on it so it's mostly tax here in Ontario. And because of that, Canadian wines are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. There is a small winery out west called Little Engine which has a terrific Pinot Noir almost every year. But it is C$65 at the lowest.

How much do you pay for a Louis Latour Pinot? Here it is C$35. It's decent.

It's funny, I only occasionally buy expensive wine so I recommend anything under C$40. We have very few under C$20. The government has a monopoly on it so it's mostly tax here in Ontario. And because of that, Canadian wines are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. There is a small winery out west called Little Engine which has a terrific Pinot Noir almost every year. But it is C$65 at the lowest.

How much do you pay for a Louis Latour Pinot? Here it is C$35. It's decent.
Averages out at around £14.50, what's that, around C$23-24?

[QUOxontriTE="80deg16minW, post: 3442004, member: 2798"]That was actually the intent. It was a good idea and Nick was contributing frequently.[/QUOTE]

I was contributing almost with Billy No Mates !!

I spend £ 8 to £ 12 usually.
That's around my mark but what I do is try the ones on offer with the aim of averaging £7 per bottle after discount. I try to use the 25% off 6 bottles when Sainsburys do it then if you purchase the individual wines on offer you can get for example a £10 bottle on offer at £8 with a further 25% off making it £6!

Thanks to Poch I have become a fan of Argentinian reds, particularly Malbec which seems to be a popular grape to grow there, must suit the climate.

Nice red available on offer at Sainsburys right now:

Old Vine Garnacha 2020, on offer at £8, really rich with intense plum and black cherry notes.

Be careful though, it's 15% ABV. lol

Chateauneuf-du-Pape La Pigna is a classic red. Coming in at around £27 a bottle it has a strong aroma with a dark spicy & plummy flavour. It's very rich & intense so no subtlety with this one whatsoever.