Next Season | Page 2 | Vital Football

Next Season

With the players we have I reckon we could survive relegation, with a few additions I would hope for mid table.

All of this is totally dependant on who we manage to get in and who decides to leave. If we lose the likes of Callum, Will Keane or Whatmough we will struggle.

With the players we have I reckon we could survive relegation, with a few additions I would hope for mid table.

All of this is totally dependant on who we manage to get in and who decides to leave. If we lose the likes of Callum, Will Keane or Whatmough we will struggle.

This might not be popular but I dont see Will Keane being very successful in the Championship. He is quite slow in midfield and gets the ball taken off him a lot and Championship players will snuff him out.
Personally I think we need 5-6 new players to go straight into the team.

Come the end of the season anywhere in the middle third of the table would make it a good campaign, then we should strengthen again and kick on in season two.
:cool:

This might not be popular but I dont see Will Keane being very successful in the Championship. He is quite slow in midfield and gets the ball taken off him a lot and Championship players will snuff him out.

I tend to disagree, I think he will be a better player in the championship as he will not be chasing long balls all day. We will evolve as a team and be playing a more controlled game which will give him more time on the ball as championship defences hold off a little. He is now an international player as well which will give him some better coaching from top coaches which I believe will help to improve his game. He always had the talent, which was seen in his days at Man Utd but his injuries have delayed his development, which I hope we will benefit from now.

I tend to disagree, I think he will be a better player in the championship as he will not be chasing long balls all day. We will evolve as a team and be playing a more controlled game which will give him more time on the ball as championship defences hold off a little. He is now an international player as well which will give him some better coaching from top coaches which I believe will help to improve his game. He always had the talent, which was seen in his days at Man Utd but his injuries have delayed his development, which I hope we will benefit from now.
You're in for a nasty shock.

Anything above the drop zone for a newly promoted side can be considered a success. Rotherham have repeatedly failed to do that after their last 3 promotions, and it wouldnt surprise me if they go back down.

For a benchmark in terms of infrastructure, support, wages etc look at Luton. They almost certainly were ahead of schedule when winning L1 in 2019, having come up from L2 in 2018, yet managed to beat the drop in 2020 and how they have kicked on two years' later to finish 6th.

Norwich will win the championship - and then swap places with Fulham again the season after.

Anything above the drop zone for a newly promoted side can be considered a success. Rotherham have repeatedly failed to do that after their last 3 promotions, and it wouldnt surprise me if they go back down.

For a benchmark in terms of infrastructure, support, wages etc look at Luton. They almost certainly were ahead of schedule when winning L1 in 2019, having come up from L2 in 2018, yet managed to beat the drop in 2020 and how they have kicked on two years' later to finish 6th.

Norwich will win the championship - and then swap places with Fulham again the season after.

Compare Luton with Barnsley.
Avoided relegation due to our points deduction.
Then got themselves into the play offs.
Following season relegated.

Some clubs you just can't predict.

I agree to a certain extent about Keane. I think with him being in the team it leads to us playing long ball. Which I think we'll struggle playing that way in the Championship.
Maybe Humphrys or McGrath would've had more game time if it wasn't for Keane. I believe Humphrys was signed as Leam didn't think Will would play as much as he did. So was meant to be back up.

On the other hand how can we ignore a player who seems to have found a home and had his best scoring season ever?

You cannot compare what Latics May or will do with any other club. We are Little Wigan and do things our way, always have done and always will. Against all the odds we will again surprise everyone. Champions, Runners up, Play Offs are all within our reach. We are not Believers for nothing. 🤨😀🥹😉🏆

Last Season i predicted we'd finish 10th,
i was wrong, we finished Champions.

So, i'll stick to finishing 10th next Season.

This thing with will Keane playing as a number ten I agree with what someone else said he had a cracking season last season but personally if we get a couple of million and get somebody like scott twine I would do it this was keanes best season in years I can't see him being effective in championship as he's to slow he could play as the centre forward which could work put personally I would cash in bit controversial but that's my opinion

I find it difficult to believe that people are writing off a player who was our leading goal scorer and scored 27 goals last season.
Agree with you Kenny. I hope he kicks on and get 30 this time. Give a goalscorer service and they will score. Good luck Will

I find it difficult to believe that people are writing off a player who was our leading goal scorer and scored 27 goals last season.

Totally agree Kenny, I think those writing him off in the championship may be shown to be wrong.

Those saying he is too slow need to take a look at the Championship style of play, most teams play a slower and more measured game than those in the lower leagues.

In my opinion speed is more of an asset in the lower leagues than it is in the Championship and PL, skill is the factor there. Keane certainly has the level of skill to succeed in the Championship, as he has shown in his early days at Man Utd, and skill combined with experience is a very potent weapon the higher you get in the leagues.

Again, in my opinion, he will get more time on the ball, without two big burly arsed centre backs throwing themselves at him every time he is in possession. I accept that he won't be as prolific on the goal scoring charts as this season, but I would expect him to return double figures and provide assists to those around him.

How many goals did Will Grigg score in L1? How well has he done in the Championship?

They are different sort of player Keane and Grigg, but I actually see a similarity in both. Grigg couldn't cut it a level up because he was too wasteful, so when it came to Championship level when you get only one big chance a game (two if you get lucky), he was found wanting. Keane is exactly the same this regard and his average of one missed sitter per game last season will get ruthlessly punished a division above.