Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 32 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Cowley links are very interesting, particularly as they were definitely at the Charlton v Reading game last Saturday. If they were at Oxford today, that would be an extraordinary coincidence. It seems unlikely that they already have the job - if so, why not simply announce it now? It could well be an interview scenario - we know that Lincoln's manager recruitment process is detailed and consists of four interviews - so perhaps they are in the middle of that?
I make no bones about it. The Cowleys were wonderful for Lincoln City but I'll be disappointed if they return to you.
I want them to be the next Bradford City management team. But if Bradford City wanted them they should have appointed them within days of sacking Hughes.
As you remarked in another thread October is the new November as far as sackings are concerned. Hesitate in getting your man over the line and there'll be other options cropping up for him.

As you remarked in another thread October is the new November as far as sackings are concerned. Hesitate in getting your man over the line and there'll be other options cropping up for him.
Which is why Lincoln are not offering any information regarding what is happening behind the scenes - the last thing they want to do is alert other clubs to their target(s). An incredible 14% of clubs in the EFL have sacked their manager this month, and there are three days remaining for more.

Maybe the cowleys just like watching l1 football matches.
Or, maybe they have put themselves forward for 2 jobs, we’ve all done it.

These Cowley links are very interesting, particularly as they were definitely at the Charlton v Reading game last Saturday. If they were at Oxford today, that would be an extraordinary coincidence. It seems unlikely that they already have the job - if so, why not simply announce it now? It could well be an interview scenario - we know that Lincoln's manager recruitment process is detailed and consists of four interviews - so perhaps they are in the middle of that?
I’m guessing Wed 1 November announcement.

I’m guessing Wed 1 November announcement.
Agree. I don't think we'll want to leave it any longer. 4 games in quick succession for an interim manager. Sensible not to rush it. But next week seems the right time. And a new manager in place with two winnable home games to come. With a Trophy game in the middle to look at certain players. Ideal

Shaw joined us the season Cowley left, maybe he's offering some help and doing some opposition scouting for him?

My initial preference was for the Cowleys, but I am not sure now whether the Cowleys can play the style of football we saw from Tom Shaw's team on Tuesday.

Depending on today and Tuesday and how we perform, I'm leaning more and more towards Tom Shaw. His interviews are informative tactically and give us an insight to what the board and JG will see from inside the club - that he is already an excellent coach. The players clearly want to play for him too.

I know people will refer to his time at Gainsborough, but do people really think a side at that level can play the way we did on Tuesday?

Lots of short sharp passing to feet, a 23 pass movement leading to a goal, and running stats that part time players couldn't hope to achieve. I would guess that the players Tom had at Gainsborough did not have the technical skills needed to play the way he wanted - something I am sure he has learned from.
Mike I think today’s performance may have helped you some way towards your decision. The passing today was abysmal

I wonder if Grimsby might look down the A46 and think if Lincoln don't want Tom Shaw for the main job, we'll have him.

Mike I think today’s performance may have helped you some way towards your decision. The passing today was abysmal
I agree about the passing today. I honestly think we were trying hard to play in a similar manner to Tuesday but unfortunately fatigue had a big influence on that. I think Sorensons performance highlighted ithat more than anything else. It was still better to watch than the MK tactics IMO.

I've said the same as Mike. It's not just about the two victories but also about the tactical changes that have brought about those victories. And it's just not about Shaw, Cohen will have had a big part to play in this and its no coincidence that he came through the door as Kennedy went the other way.

I accept that there are bigger names out there with more experience but whoever we appoint is going to be a calculated gamble as it always is.

Avoiding defeat today and Tuesday and with maybe a win in one of those games and I can't see us looking any further than Shaw/Cohen....short term.

Let them carry on until new year or the end of the season when we can review the league table, performances and tactics and make a much more informed decision then aswell as having a much bigger pool of candidates to choose from.

I get that we may be set on someone now but if we appoint them while these two are doing a good job and we have a down turn in results then I think Banter would probably eat itself!

Difficult and I can see all sides but I suppose at the moment it's a game at a time, as they say.
The problem with the ‘watch and wait’ method is that candidates that we might be looking at today, might not be available tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.