Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 31 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial preference was for the Cowleys, but I am not sure now whether the Cowleys can play the style of football we saw from Tom Shaw's team on Tuesday.

Depending on today and Tuesday and how we perform, I'm leaning more and more towards Tom Shaw. His interviews are informative tactically and give us an insight to what the board and JG will see from inside the club - that he is already an excellent coach. The players clearly want to play for him too.

I know people will refer to his time at Gainsborough, but do people really think a side at that level can play the way we did on Tuesday?

Lots of short sharp passing to feet, a 23 pass movement leading to a goal, and running stats that part time players couldn't hope to achieve. I would guess that the players Tom had at Gainsborough did not have the technical skills needed to play the way he wanted - something I am sure he has learned from.
It's taken a long time, Mike, but we got there in the end. They were a fabulous fit for us first time around, nobody can or will deny that, but Lincoln City 2023 is a totally different entity from when the Cowleys arrived here. Gone but never forgotten. My vote is for Shaw at the moment, he's doing a good job, and all we can ask. Do we want someone in who is going to change everything around?

Beware the new manager bounce... just a thought for all those who think Tom Shaw has earned the job after two wins against poor opposition. We might have done something like that in our National League days for want of anything cheaper but Lincoln have the ability to fish in bigger ponds nowadays.

I would agree Scot - if we had not seen some sign of tactical changes in the way we play in the two games he has been in charge..

Most new managers get a bounce just because of players wanting to impress a new manager (although MA didn't as I recall). This to me was a bit different because of big changes in our playing style and a tactical selection in a new position for Lasse on Tuesday. Both ere decisions made by Tom and his team that were not really connected to a new manager bounce.

Let's see where we stand after the next three games - they can't all be "poor opposition" - and we will hopefully see how Tom Shaw copes with perhaps a first half where things don't go our way.

All anyone can say - and I hope even you must admit this - is that after two games he has been impressive.

I appreciate the support for Tom Shaw, and I would love him to come in and take us to promotion as much as anyone else. However, we cannot afford to devalue the most important job in the club by making snap judgements after two games that Kennedy may also have won. I have absolutely no objection to giving him a spell to see how he manages against the better sides and after the new bounce has subsided - sometimes a very different picture emerges at that point - but to say he should be given the job right now is crazy. One plonker even said he should get the job because the players know him and like him. Bonkers.

I've said the same as Mike. It's not just about the two victories but also about the tactical changes that have brought about those victories. And it's just not about Shaw, Cohen will have had a big part to play in this and its no coincidence that he came through the door as Kennedy went the other way.

I accept that there are bigger names out there with more experience but whoever we appoint is going to be a calculated gamble as it always is.

Avoiding defeat today and Tuesday and with maybe a win in one of those games and I can't see us looking any further than Shaw/Cohen....short term.

Let them carry on until new year or the end of the season when we can review the league table, performances and tactics and make a much more informed decision then aswell as having a much bigger pool of candidates to choose from.

I get that we may be set on someone now but if we appoint them while these two are doing a good job and we have a down turn in results then I think Banter would probably eat itself!

Difficult and I can see all sides but I suppose at the moment it's a game at a time, as they say.

I presume everyone knows that Lincoln have a well-established high-level succession strategy that comes straight from the wider business world?

On that basis, how likely is it that Tom Shaw is very high on that list?

And does anyone really - really - believe that Lincoln would abandon that strategy after three matches?

As I said in an earlier post, we are no longer in the National League.

If we were to lose today , how could that possibly happen ! the TS enthusiasm will calm down a bit, and look at the long term more experienced appointment. If we win of course........

I presume everyone knows that Lincoln have a well-established high-level succession strategy that comes straight from the wider business world?

And does anyone really - really - believe that Lincoln would abandon that strategy after three matches?

If it’s like the succession lists we used to love at work, used to have levels like immediately ready, ready in 2-3 years, long shots etc.
Tom would conceivably be in the middle one but never say never

Big test for Tom Shaw on Tuesday now. After two excellent results and performances sounded like a poor one today but still a point.
He has Mandriou available again and Vale possibly ready for a start.
So he has options to change things around a bit if he wants be interesting to see who starts and how we set uP.
Unless of course we have someone else on board by then but I think that is doubtful.

"a well-established high-level succession strategy that comes straight from the wider business world?"

...which is why many high level businesses promote from within.

Read on another forum that Danny Cowley was at the Oxford - Wycombe game today, now who do we play next? (maybe just a coincidence or made up)

Apparently the Cowleys were at the Oxford v Wycombe match today.
You play Oxford on Tuesday and Bradford City play Wycombe on Saturday.
Interesting.

Apparently the Cowleys were at the Oxford v Wycombe match today.
You play Oxford on Tuesday and Bradford City play Wycombe on Saturday.
Interesting.
These Cowley links are very interesting, particularly as they were definitely at the Charlton v Reading game last Saturday. If they were at Oxford today, that would be an extraordinary coincidence. It seems unlikely that they already have the job - if so, why not simply announce it now? It could well be an interview scenario - we know that Lincoln's manager recruitment process is detailed and consists of four interviews - so perhaps they are in the middle of that?

I put this down to the demise of the “Echo”. Years gone by they would have been publishing articles regarding potential candidates and probably ringing them up for quotes.
I remember a big feature on was it Billy Heath when it seemed to be between him and DC? What ever happened to him?
Manager of Alfreton does a remarkable job keeping them in nationaL league north on very low budget. However football is route one and fills the team with honey monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.