Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasenimp

Vital Football Legend
I know it's like jumping straight into it but it might make sense to have separation between who next and the reaction to MK's departure as the speculation already starting in that thread. Just to throw random names in to start:

Just me making names up - but Leam Richardson? Brutally sacked at Wigan despite getting them up and being a basket case. Fell apart after he left. With the right environment and L1 track record? This one seems appealing to me!

Would we go back for Stephen Bradley at Shamrock? Or burnt too much by what happened last time and the PR rejection? Edit - there does seem to be a lot more to that, and the timing fits with a forthcoming end to the LOI season.

And the elephant in the room of the Cowleys who loom large at each appointment. Personally I don't see it, think we won't go back and some bridges might have got burned, but they're going to get linked!

Stephen Kenny now also makes the list - with rumours from Ireland of our interest (9/11/23)

Also Des Buckingham (10/11/23) a favourite for the Oxford job who suddenly plummeted in our betting. Fresh off being coach of the year in India 22/23 won the league with Mumbai City. Part of Man City group.

And now Michael Skubala added to the list (13/11). Leeds u21 coach and briefly their men's team caretaker in February. Futsal background and England u18 manager 2020-22. Some rumours on here and social media but no concrete links.

What about John Eustace? Not much of a track record (which would put me off) but a surprise sacking at Birmingham (albeit with connotations of negative football)

Someone from Non League? I just saw MK Dons appointed the Gateshead boss.

And now we have to seriously add in Tom Shaw/Chris Cohen after two wins from two and that super win over Charlton - although this has maybe cooled after the last few weeks

Who else is out there? Also any American links..?

Edit -additional names - just throwing out as we go, thanks for people who've suggested them:

Dave Challinor - Stockport manager who'd worked at Hartlepool, Fylde and Colwyn Bay. Ex Bury player who apparently interviewed for Charlton job.
Lee Carsley (England U21) - could be a stretch, also linked with Ireland job
Lee Bell - highly rated Crewe manager
Ian Foster - linked before when England U19 boss, now seemingly assistant manager to Steven Gerrard in Saudi Arabia!
Luke Garrard - long term Boreham Wood boss who has had them punch above their weight for several years now
Nathan Jones - wildcard based on success at Luton.
Damien Duff - Shelbourne manager if we continue to look towards the League of Ireland
Gary Rowett - recently left Millwall and might want a quick return, but also seen as more negative style?

Last edited:
Of those names, Bradley or the Cowleys for me.

I liken the situation a little to when Murph returned a second time. OK, we are not out of the league (!), but don't underestimate what a returning successful manager can achieve.

Bradley I got quite into the first time around but didn't really like the media stuff around it and how much noise there was before he seemingly rejected, having already done that with someone else?

He sounded like a forward thinking coach even with employing a similar system on paper to what we play now, in terms of a 3-4-2-1. Score plenty of goals but have to play against teams sitting in.

Lee Carsley, the England u21 manager would be my choice.

However I doubt we’d be able to tempt him away

As mentioned in the other thread, this whole “don’t go back” thing is a little bit misguided.

People likening it to going back to an ex-partner are just comparing apples with oranges. It’s a nice analogy, but we’re on about football clubs, not personal relationships!

Sometimes, certain clubs click with certain managers. Even if there’s no rhyme nor reason.

If the Cowley’s are willing to accept that we don’t have a bottomless pit of money (which apparently they struggled to understand last time), and that their role is to be Head Coaches as opposed to Managers, then I think that would be great.

We’d be back to 9,000+ gates, especially in the short term.

But if not, John Eustace would be a good shout.

Also another name from looking at who was linked with other jobs - there was a rumour Bradford might try and poach the Crewe manager, Lee Bell?

He sounds up and coming. They're 4th in league Two and have had 13 different academy grads play this season (I know that's always a Crewe thing but sounds interesting on paper). Rumour cooled for Bradford, so could be one we looked at?

You would think there's somebody lined up , DC/NC for me right or wrong. The saying 'never go back' springs to mind but I think they will.

I have always been impressed with Luke Garrad. Comes across well when interviewed. I'm not sure just how adventourous we will be this time and feel we might go for someone who knows the league a bit more.

Would be elated with seeing DC back at their spiritual home even if I'm not sure how they fit the model. I think they'd do well with this squad.

Leam Richardson or Bradley would be seen as good options.

Going along the wildcard route (let's face it, who predicted MK?) Ashley Cole is the current England U21 assistant manager and has spoken about wanting to get into management.

As mentioned in the other thread, this whole “don’t go back” thing is a little bit misguided.

People likening it to going back to an ex-partner are just comparing apples with oranges. It’s a nice analogy, but we’re on about football clubs, not personal relationships!

Sometimes, certain clubs click with certain managers. Even if there’s no rhyme nor reason.

If the Cowley’s are willing to accept that we don’t have a bottomless pit of money (which apparently they struggled to understand last time), and that their role is to be Head Coaches as opposed to Managers, then I think that would be great.

We’d be back to 9,000+ gates, especially in the short term.

But if not, John Eustace would be a good shout.

My current vibe is (FWIW), that I'm interested to see what managers on the up are out there, with good recent track records and appetite for the next tep.

But if you'd asked me last week if I could have clicked my fingers and replaced MK with the Cowleys I would (personally) have done it in an instant too. I reckon it would feel like a fresh start from where we have been with a bit of the negativity and they seem to have accepted they didn't act in the right way when they left and made some mistakes. But I don't know how deep disagreements at the time before they left , and if it's a direction we'd be willing to go at board level.

Last edited:
Would be elated with seeing DC back at their spiritual home even if I'm not sure how they fit the model. I think they'd do well with this squad.

Leam Richardson or Bradley would be seen as good options.

Going along the wildcard route (let's face it, who predicted MK?) Ashley Cole is the current England U21 assistant manager and has spoken about wanting to get into management.
Ashley Cole has just joined Birmingham City as part of Rooney's management team, in addition to his England role.

Not sure about Eustace, did seem to have the same problems regarding defensive minded tactics we’ve just suffered from.
Bradley would be interesting but then he presumably doesn’t know the EFL first hand. I would guess nothing would happen with him until the end of their season? Maybe DC could hold the reins till then. Perhaps Nicky fancies striking out on his own, his family were in Lincoln recently and seem more attached to the place than his brother!

Leam Richardson got Wigan promoted on a tidal wave of cash that almost took the club to the wall little over twelve months after they had last been there. No thank you.

The Cowleys do not seem feasible for lots of reasons, I would be very surprised.

I can't help thinking Luke Garrard's ship has sailed.

An inexperienced manager/head coach from non-league football or an academy seems unlikely, considering we have a set of players many feel good enough to challenge for the play-offs. I think this is an attempt to maximise the investment on the playing side this season, therefore an experienced manager seems de rigeur.

Stephen Bradley appears a very logical move, given he was allegedly our first choice in May 2022. Bradley turned it down apparently because of family problems which may no longer exist. There is nothing more he can achieve at Shamrock, so he has to move away if he wants to progress as a manager.

Or will the board surprise us?

Status
Not open for further replies.