Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 13 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaw already talking about the next 4 games, in the next two weeks.
which takes us to 4th November. Significant date? Or coincidence?

Not necessarily regarding it being the end of the Irish season. The club did say they will undertake a thorough process before appointing, and that usually takes two weeks with interviews, applications etc.

It does appear rather than having a replacement already lined up to approach, the club are going to see who contacts them about the job as well. They may of course already have strong candidates in mind, but want to go through the full process to ensure they have not missed out on someone who might be a better fit.

This doesn't rule out the Cowleys or Bradley. It just means the board want to do a thorough job before appointing.

I just hope they do not get too swayed by an applicant's interview this time, as that must have been a big factor in MK getting the job!

I don't think so Mike.
I think I'd rather have our team bus in temporary charge.
Reckon it's the best coach we've got at the club at the minute.

Not quite sure he is that bad Clan. There are some quite decent buses around now, especially compared to the ones I used to travel on years ago!

However I do agree. I really don't think Shaw is the right person to take us where we want to go, even with someone experienced alongside him.

I can't say I'm looking forward to the next two games to be honest I do hope the team surprise me.

I just hope they do not get too swayed by an applicant's interview this time, as that must have been a big factor in MK getting the job!

Knowing his verbal prowess as we do, it is probable that he was able to say what the board wanted to hear. I suppose that is the prerogative of any candidate in any interview situation. Living up to it can be more difficult.

Shaw already talking about the next 4 games, in the next two weeks.
which takes us to 4th November. Significant date? Or coincidence?
Think he said one or three games, and the Irish season looks like it will drift on due to postponements. I think we need someone sooner than that with such a run of difficult games coming up.

Not necessarily regarding it being the end of the Irish season. The club did say they will undertake a thorough process before appointing, and that usually takes two weeks with interviews, applications etc.

It does appear rather than having a replacement already lined up to approach, the club are going to see who contacts them about the job as well. They may of course already have strong candidates in mind, but want to go through the full process to ensure they have not missed out on someone who might be a better fit.

This doesn't rule out the Cowleys or Bradley. It just means the board want to do a thorough job before appointing.

I think they will be wary of appointing a rookie manager with little experience in the hot seat.
By his own admission, MK found his first season to br a massive learning curve in lots of ways. Even learning what L1 is like took time. Hence the sea changes that he made.
I'm not sure we've got time for someone to do that again.

Think he said one or three games, and the Irish season looks like it will drift on due to postponements. I think we need someone sooner than that with such a run of difficult games coming up.
Agree, he did say that later in the interview. But before that, at 2mins30 he said ‘we’ve got 4 brilliant challenges coming up in the next two weeks.’ And then repeated it.

certainly will be an interesting two weeks.

Have the Cowleys surfaced anywhere distances themselves from the job ? Silence would suggest they are interested.

It is very likely the Cowleys have applied for the Bradford City job and quite possibly the Gillingham job. If they fail to land either of them I'm sure they'd be very interested in returning to Sincil Bank.
But I think it would be better for all concerned if they could land one of those League Two positions, preferably the Bradford City one. They struggled in their last job in League One so stepping back to a division they have been successful in makes sense.
I still believe the brothers are capable of managing in League One and even The Championship. But taking a team up from League Two and building from there would seem the sensible route.
And I really don't think the Cowleys or Lincoln City should be going back.

Ha ha ha. Love this. We must be from the same era. Born in the 70s. Coz I feel the same. What goes on within pro football these days is bonkers. Brian Clough will be turning in his grave.
Try watching a Premier League game even from the 90s and you'll see how rapidly football has come on. It's incredibly slow, ponderous and lacking much skill or flair. Harling back to the glory days of the 80s, 70s etc is absurd. Sepia-tinted guff. Football has moved on a million miles since then.

The Cowleys were rightly ambitious during their first spell here. They wanted to manage at the highest level, just as players want to play at the highest level.

At the start of the season they left, Clive would have known offers for their services would happen at any time. And if the Cowleys felt it was good for ther career, they would most likely accept.

How anyone can criticise the Cowleys for that is beyond me.

If they return now, the club's ambitions have changed since they left because of the new investment and theirs will have lowered a little, making it a good match for me.
Mike, I have absolutely no problem with ambition, they did want to manage at the highest level, and their services were in demand due to their successful period at the Bank. I would guess at one stage Clive's phone would have been ringing off the wall.....and their ambition accordingly saw them move up a division and a much increased salary. That's what success looks like, and well done to them, albeit I didn't like the way the move unfolded.
Fast forward three years. The Huddersfield chairman sacked them because of their demands, and without being unkind, keeping them in the Championship will be without doubt their only notable achievement since Lincoln. They were without a club for a while, and then Portsmouth took a chance, and look how that ended.
Frankly, I feel the clamour to get them back is based on sentiment rather than their great tactical nous, to get the feelgood factor back. Their achievements at Lincoln are legendary, they will always be a brilliant part of the club's history, but their ambition found them out, they're not the messiahs people think they are, they're very average managers and my guess is they're no longer the first names on anyone's wish list.......except ours, unfortunately. UTI

Yeah I'd agree with this. I think there's been a lot of focus on development as taking youth players and turning them into first teamers, which is fair enough but is always a long shot. There's also picking up younger first team players and selling them on a couple of years down the line though - and if you have a winning team then other clubs will come for your better players guaranteed.
This - the best way to develop and sell on players is to have a winning team. We sold no end of players when the Cowleys were here.

I think a lot of that is unfair. A significantly higher salary from a championship club to former P.E teachers with no professional football career behind them would be genuinely life changing - if you begrudge them for being tempted by the money you would have to begrudge everyone.

I'm sure they have had a reality check after their experiences at Huddersfield and Portsmouth. Their whole matra is about being willing to adapt and learn - and there is no reason to think they wouldn't.

Hmm... i think they were a bit more than that!
Don't think it's unfair at all, and going forward in a club that is now excellently run (thank you Clive, Liam, etc) I want a man with a footballing pedigree at the helm, not (to quote you) 'former P.E teachers with no professional football career behind them'.

Mike, I have absolutely no problem with ambition, they did want to manage at the highest level, and their services were in demand due to their successful period at the Bank. I would guess at one stage Clive's phone would have been ringing off the wall.....and their ambition accordingly saw them move up a division and a much increased salary. That's what success looks like, and well done to them, albeit I didn't like the way the move unfolded.
Fast forward three years. The Huddersfield chairman sacked them because of their demands, and without being unkind, keeping them in the Championship will be without doubt their only notable achievement since Lincoln. They were without a club for a while, and then Portsmouth took a chance, and look how that ended.
Frankly, I feel the clamour to get them back is based on sentiment rather than their great tactical nous, to get the feelgood factor back. Their achievements at Lincoln are legendary, they will always be a brilliant part of the club's history, but their ambition found them out, they're not the messiahs people think they are, they're very average managers and my guess is they're no longer the first names on anyone's wish list.......except ours, unfortunately. UTI

Very average!? Give over.

Try watching a Premier League game even from the 90s and you'll see how rapidly football has come on. It's incredibly slow, ponderous and lacking much skill or flair. Harling back to the glory days of the 80smoved etc is absurd. Sepia-tinted guff. Football has moved on a million miles since then.
I'll agree football has moved on. Of course. But lacking skill and flair. Cantona. Bergkamp. Zola. Beckham. Le Tissier. Ginola. Bit harsh to suggest absurd and guff. It's what I grew up with and loved. Now add Puttnam. Huckerby. Ainsworth. D Johnson. Gain. My faves from the 90s. Yes I've named individuals
And teams maybe had different styles back then. But it was not without skill or flair. It is now different due to advances in coaching and science. But I would suggest sometimes not for the better. To analyse to the nth degree becomes tedious and can lead to the kind of football Kennedy delivered. I'm just not interested in stats like xg. I'm interested in a team that's shows the will and want to win. Be it with skill, flair, teamwork, attitude or determination. Good players are good players. They can be coached to show this positively or negatively. It's a simple game complicated by fools.

Edit. And it was said a little tongue in cheek and I enjoy football nostalgia.

Last edited:
Ok, average.......

3 promotions at Concord.
Took part time Braintree to playoffs with over 80 points.
Two promotions with us plus our first cup win at Wembley and an incredible FA cup run.
Took a Huddersfield team who had won 1 in 36 and had one point from first 9 games and kept them up (and your ‘demands’ stuff here is pure gossip, although not sure I’d call it even that as never seen anyone else say it so not really gossiping, weird speculation more like)

Then one team not done incredibly well at - Portsmouth. But even there the win rate was 40% and only full season got a return of 72 points (which has been enough for play offs some years) all after bringing wage budget down.

But yeah. Average…

In a previous post i mentioned guff spoken about Cowleys. Wish I’d added this nonsense that they’ve failed since Lincoln and ‘proven not to be good beyond league 2’. What they did at Huddersfield was pretty bloody remarkable for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.