Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 12 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we think Shaw might be in the running?

He is clearly highly thought of at the club, having survived the MA and MK eras. Plus there is talk (not sure how solid) of bringing in an experienced person temporarily to work alongside him.

I'm not a huge fan of promotion from within, but if he wins on Saturday and on Tuesday, might he be in the running?
Hope that doesn’t turn into another John Deehan type of appointment?

I can't imagine he would be anywhere near the running for the job. His likely audition to see if could handle a head coach job went pretty poorly at Gainsborough 2-3 years back.
Obviously people become more skilled over time, but I doubt our board would make an even bigger gamble than the one they took with Mark Kennedy.

I can't imagine he would be anywhere near the running for the job. His likely audition to see if could handle a head coach job went pretty poorly at Gainsborough 2-3 years back.
Obviously people become more skilled over time, but I doubt our board would make an even bigger gamble than the one they took with Mark Kennedy.
Agreed... he did just give an impressive interview to radio lincs though. Also he says Jack Vale is available...maybe.

No one seems to have considered whether or not the Cowleys would wish to return.

They left Lincoln intending to take on the world and rise to the top. Returning little more than four years later may be anathema to them, tantamount to an acceptance that they have failed in that ambition.

Or they may see it as an opportunity to rebuild a reputation tarnished by two sackings and some genuine supporter vitriol.

Is it a case of how realistic they can be?
I don't see their reputation tarnished. They did what was asked of them at Huddersfield and had a mediocre time at Portsmouth, where their win ratio was actually pretty decent. But neither position was a disaster or showed them to be out of their depth.
Maybe they will not want to return and see it as failed ambition. Maybe they would like to return to oversee some unfinished business. Who knows?
They are free agents. Danny is only 44, Nicky 42, so I don't believe they have failed in their ambition yet. It is just taking a different path. I'm sure since being out of football this year they have been immersing themselves in how other clubs and coaches operate and will have expanded their coaching abilities.
It is worth a consideration and a conversation.

It does disturb me that somebody appointed has coach has so many others working as coaches beneath him. Next we will have somebody coaching them in how to tie there boot laces up! But hey I am old fashioned and a lot of the way football is coached these days is bullshit to me .

I personally think Bradley would be a good appointment but have no qualms if Danny and Nicky come back. I know the club won't rush into an appointment, but the sooner the better for me.

You can never have too many coaches.

A top up-and-coming coach brought in because he has a track record of developing players may not have the man-management and organisation ability to get us promotion, but may add value to our younger players.

So which provides the best financial return for the club? I would suggest promotion - and to me the Cowleys are the safest bet in that direction.

The last two managers have been brought in more with development in mind. With the new investors, now is the time for a manager who's main purpose is to get us into the championship. If he/they can do that, player value will take care of itself.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I think there's been a lot of focus on development as taking youth players and turning them into first teamers, which is fair enough but is always a long shot. There's also picking up younger first team players and selling them on a couple of years down the line though - and if you have a winning team then other clubs will come for your better players guaranteed.

Having watched/listened to Tom Shaw and Paudie O'Connor's interviews.
IMO we have a Mngr in the making with TS. Well respected by PO and players, and his knowledge of the game, has been amongst them for 15 months, and at the club longer with the academy as a coach. Think he should have as equal chance of interview as anyone else for the Head coach position.
Can't wait to see how we do tomorrow, 2-0 city.
Sincere top Imps men.
Come on Boys.

He is clearly highly thought of at the club, having survived the MA and MK eras. Plus there is talk (not sure how solid) of bringing in an experienced person temporarily to work alongside him.

I'm not a huge fan of promotion from within, but if he wins on Saturday and on Tuesday, might he be in the running?
I would say if they are bringing in someone experienced to help him it shows the Board probably have him down as a short-term stop-gap and doubt his ability to coach the team fully and therefore he probably wouldn’t be in the running.

I would say if they are bringing in someone experienced to help him it shows the Board probably have him down as a short-term stop-gap and doubt his ability to coach the team fully and therefore he probably wouldn’t be in the running.
Maybe the coach they are bringing in to help Tom Shaw is in the running?

Imp 73- what about Alexander/Simpson, Murphy/Pickering,Moyes/Brown pairings, the last of which put the team together Cowley's inherited to get City's Conference promotion. they brought 2 players with them did'nt they?

I love the Cowleys but if they couldn’t get Portsmouth to the play offs what makes people think they could do it for us?

The Cowleys is a difficult one. There are many reasons they would be welcomed back by a fair contingent of supporters. Bear in mind the structure of the club when they came in. There was very little in the way of structure at the time in the NL (which had been stripped back after relegation out of the league) and that was one of the reasons they had so much autonomy. However, part of their ambition (if that’s the right word) was to take the club back where it belonged, into the league. A major part of that process was to make the club more ’professional’ from the ground up. The amazing FA Cup run helped them achieve that massively by funding the EPC, which in turn made us a much more attractive sell to potential new players. Going through L2, winning the Checkatrade Trophy and promotion to L1 was their clear goal and was the icing on the cake. It was at that point things started to break down. They had clearly wanted to buy players who could help them achieve the next step but the club struggled to provide their needs, probably because the rise was too quick in some ways and the club wasn’t ready in many ways for the Championship, certainly not with the players they had left us with (probably more short-term achievers than longer-term assets). From that viewpoint I can’t say I blame them for wanting to test themselves at a higher level, although the manner of their leaving did leave a slightly sour taste in the mouth.
As far as them coming back I think we need to recognise that they will be different people now compared to when they left. They have managed a Championship club and a top-end L1 club and as such will have learnt that they need a different, more patient, tactically aware and disciplined, approach to the one they adopted to get the Imps into L1. Plus they are now used to the whole structure of a higher level club (and after all it was them that helped to build the structure at the Imps). There is little doubt they would generate huge interest in the fan-base and the community again. The question is are they the right fit now with their increased experience, and would the Board be willing to take that step? That’s assuming they would be interested 🤔

Imp 73- what about Alexander/Simpson, Murphy/Pickering,Moyes/Brown pairings, the last of which put the team together Cowley's inherited to get City's Conference promotion. they brought 2 players with them did'nt they?
Yes, they brought Woodyard and Habergham from Braintree, plus they managed to prise Raggett away from Dover. All three (together with Arnold, Rhead and a couple of other players) were key to the team that won the NL.

Excellent observation, cdh. Not enough experience for me although two or three games in charge of the first team will help him in the long run.

He is clearly highly thought of at the club, having survived the MA and MK eras.
As part of the coaching staff that has overseen some of the most boring, turgid and uninspiring football we have seen for many years, I would argue that he himself is very lucky to have survived this. I'd have got rid and gone for a total clean slate.

Seems the board have total faith and confidence in him. That's fine...... but what happens if the new Head Coach wants to bring his own team in and sees no place for him?

Or will we insist to any new coach that he remains on the coaching staff and might that even put some potential candidates off?

Status
Not open for further replies.