Newcastle United v Man Utd League Cup Final Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Newcastle United v Man Utd League Cup Final Thread

Lots of people who were there saying our support was flat as a fart in the ground and i must admit, on TV the mancs sounded equally as loud as us.

Not surprising though, loads of our hardcore fans walked during the Ashley days and have been replaced by people who don't seem interested.

Waving flags before the game and when the game is lost is just for show.

Our songbook is crap aswell, not one rendition of Blaydon races during the game.

Now that the dust is settling we can look back at that and be proud of the effort.

For once you can go through things and make an argument that things could have been different but doing so may take away from what we are. We're a team in transition and a team of progress.

Our fans put on a display that put Manure to shame and it makes you think what their end would have looked like if their club hadn't given them all a free scarf.

Regardless of all that and for all our grumbles, we had more than enough half chances that could have been put away and on another day that raker from Jacob Murphy could have screamed in. There's also the fact that their first goal was offside and they can draw as many colours as they want on the screen. it was. The second goal a fluke that would most likely have been stopped by Nick Pope as his reflexes are sharper than Karius's.

Overall. Shit result but nowt but pride for us. If we get there again in the next couple of years then I reckon it'll be different.
I'm all with you about that. Nevertheless I'm still wondering if it wasn't foulish of Trippier to foul on that place. That and chances we should've finished would make it look very different. Scoring is a thing we lack not only in this match unfortunately.

Lots of people who were there saying our support was flat as a fart in the ground and i must admit, on TV the mancs sounded equally as loud as us.

Not surprising though, loads of our hardcore fans walked during the Ashley days and have been replaced by people who don't seem interested.

Waving flags before the game and when the game is lost is just for show.

Our songbook is crap aswell, not one rendition of Blaydon races during the game.

I also agree - there's a new generation of fans intent on capturing the atmosphere on their phones while providing very little of it themselves

I do think however that the over-riding feeling after the match was one of solidarity between the fans, team and ownership - after the past 14 years that can't be a bad thing

Watching the match back I found myself wondering if we sold the wrong striker to Forest. Wilson was so poor. Never won a header, can't hold the ball up, never looks like scoring. Surely his time is up?

I'm all with you about that. Nevertheless I'm still wondering if it wasn't foulish of Trippier to foul on that place

Probably a silly foul with the benefit of hindsight but 9 times out of 10 that free kick comes to nothing because it's not in a dangerous area. I would be more concerned at the defending of the actual free kick.

Watching the match back I found myself wondering if we sold the wrong striker to Forest. Wilson was so poor. Never won a header, can't hold the ball up, never looks like scoring. Surely his time is up?
I said in January we needed TWO strikers. We didn't even buy one. We were basically seeing out the season with 1 injury prone striker and 1 unproven striker. I wasn't biggest fan of Chris Wood but at the very least he should have been replaced. I think we'll struggle to make Europe now and Wilson needs dropped

I said in January we needed TWO strikers. We didn't even buy one. We were basically seeing out the season with 1 injury prone striker and 1 unproven striker. I wasn't biggest fan of Chris Wood but at the very least he should have been replaced. I think we'll struggle to make Europe now and Wilson needs dropped
Our luck will change in front of goal RZA and when it does we will get back to winning ways.

Pundits have described the performances of our last two opponents as 'game management' and clinical.

That's not what I saw and not what the stats show, we dominted both Liverpool and man ure.

We missed chances that would have buried the scouse reds and forced man ure into conceding posession and playing on the break.

Our problem is as you stated a lack of personel and that is down to decisions made by our owners, apparently based on FFP.

As a result we will need massive amounts of luck in terms of injuries and suspensions to qaulify for the CL, if that is what some are aiming for, but I struggle to understand how anyone cannot see we are a better team and better off than the other teams competing for the lesser European places.

Our luck will change in front of goal RZA and when it does we will get back to winning ways.

Pundits have described the performances of our last two opponents as 'game management' and clinical.

That's not what I saw and not what the stats show, we dominted both Liverpool and man ure.

We missed chances that would have buried the scouse reds and forced man ure into conceding posession and playing on the break.

Our problem is as you stated a lack of personel and that is down to decisions made by our owners, apparently based on FFP.

As a result we will need massive amounts of luck in terms of injuries and suspensions to qaulify for the CL, if that is what some are aiming for, but I struggle to understand how anyone cannot see we are a better team and better off than the other teams competing for the lesser European places.
Here's the thing. Liverpool have the firepower, the personnel, the referees and the luck to go above us. They'll more than likely go above Fulham with their games in hand. Can I see us catching the top 4 now? No. Can I see us playing for the remaining places? Of course but it's a lottery and you could probably argue teams like Fulham are in better form than us.

On the striker front I have said for ages we do not have reliable quality strikers. Wilson is on the down slope and needs to be replaced next season. Isak needs more time to see whether or not he is a good buy.
We have certainly done a lot better than most expected, which has raised hopes for this season and may end in disappointment for some. Whatever happens we are proud of the squad and can look forward to further progress next season. At least we are now a proper club from top to bottom, which we never were under Ashley. A lot of good being done behind the scenes, training facilities, coaching, scouts and a board of directors.

Reactions: Rza
Right, after reflecting on the journey home and then having a day with my feet up after all the miles I did on Saturday, Sunday and Monday I now feel ready to chuck in my ten penith.

First off the support was 1st class, from day one to three. I saw no bother, no nastiness and we even cleaned up Trafalgar square for them! Copper I spoke to said he couldn't believe it!

Day of the game we headed into Kilburn to visit some mag friendly bars but were moved on since Man U fans had planted themselves in those pubs so we headed towards Wembley with no hope of finding an easy pint. The fan zone was a disgrace, an hour long que for over priced warm p*ss and was so obviously designed to throttle our alcohol consumption. Just poor management full stop. We got in TGI Fridays though and had a canny sup with some nice people......even bumped into Dwight Gayle who brought his family along.....class act from the lad that
332824803_737978837815177_3293215094043827921_n.jpg.
Game was over all a good start I thought from us, and if we scored that maxi chance in first 5 mins we could have been looking at a different result as the crowd would have roared us on even more. The 2nd goal took the wind out of our sales and I felt the crowd go flat for us which was a shame. As for there 1st goal, free kick or not you have to defend it and we just didn't do it well enough. Looked off side, was off side, nowt you can do when VAR doesn't like you. Own goal, not much Karius could can do as it took a wicked dink to loop over him(Don't think Pope would have done any better tbh).....was going wide though so how Rashford has it I've no idea......I suppose Shearer's Wes Brown OG from 2001 will now be credited back to him following this? Thought not:(.

2nd Half, positive change with Isak coming on, playing deep to try and and drive the ball further up the pitch and by and large he did that.....but that final 3rd was just missing. Couple of half chances which we needed to take and we just did not. All in all you can see what we need to add. A partner for Bruno in midfield, some one who can be the creative force to unlock that final 3rd for our wingers or wide forwards to latch onto and then a capable/fit striker to bully the back four. Chuck a starting left back and more depth in our center back and wide areas and you have team that might compete a bit more in those situations we saw on Sunday.

Reality check is this time last year we just started winning games and pulling away from the bottom three......twelve month later we are competing for European spot and are at our first major final in over 20 year. Not bad for team that has been cobbled together in three transfer windows when teams don't want to sell to us and some hand me downs from Ashley and Bruce. Besides, that trip was a reconnaissance mission for next season when we go back. Then we'll show the f*ckers why they are right to be scared of us getting some ambition. And as for the Man U support at the end, don't get me started! Half of them beat me back to the Tube! Rant over......lets do this all again next season:).

Last edited:
Yes nice to get a realistic account of where we are and also let’s not forget where we were. I noticed last night the same player had his goal disallowed which was quite surprising considering the decision given on Sunday and who he plays for.