NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER | Page 328 | Vital Football

NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER

exiled tic

Vital Squad Member
MiW
I would be very interested to know whether Jay's latest podcast with the Spanish based journalist allays any of you concerns. Very interesting listen.

very interesting and positive that Arthur,always good to hear views from elsewhere!Although some latics fans will say they know more than this Madrid based journalist!

Last edited:

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
I’ll try and find time to have a listen over the weekend Arthur.
I've only just finished the full interview, I'm going to suggest that whilst you may find a few positives, you'll also consider there are some massive red flags as well. I think it could be a very interesting ride if Moreno gets in, and I also think potentially down the line that a fairly large section of our fans could become very frustrated and out-spoken about him.

exiled tic

Vital Squad Member
I've only just finished the full interview, I'm going to suggest that whilst you may find a few positives, you'll also consider there are some massive red flags as well. I think it could be a very interesting ride if Moreno gets in, and I also think potentially down the line that a fairly large section of our fans could become very frustrated and out-spoken about him.
Can't really see any red flags in there Arthur,seemed surprisingly positive to me

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
Can't really see any red flags in there Arthur,seemed surprisingly positive to me
I can see how some things may be interpreted by MiW or some of the other "Spanish sceptics" as less than positive, personally I felt there was a mix of positive and less positive (I won't say negative) opinion and the positive outweighed the rest, but I'm one of those in favour of the Spanish ownership and so could easily be biased in my overall outlook.

As I said earlier, I'll be very interested in Miw's take on the interview.

TRUE BELIEVER

Vital 1st Team Regular
Totally agree with what you say Exiled, I would actually have said that Moreno's publicity officers could not have given him a more glowing reference.

One thing that did strike me is the similarities between the two clubs, both facing bankruptcy and going out of business, bought by a local man who plied his trade as a lower league footballer before being forced into retirement with injury, making it good in business and returning to rescue his hometown club and taking them from the realms of obscurity into the top league in the country.

Could that be a good omen.

Totally agree with what you say Exiled, I would actually have said that Moreno's publicity officers could not have given him a more glowing reference.

One thing that did strike me is the similarities between the two clubs, both facing bankruptcy and going out of business, bought by a local man who plied his trade as a lower league footballer before being forced into retirement with injury, making it good in business and returning to rescue his hometown club and taking them from the realms of obscurity into the top league in the country.

Is the Spanish version also hated by a large chunk of his current or former employees ?

Hampton

Vital 1st Team Regular

Did Moreno break his leg in the Copa del Ray final though ? 🤣

jeffs right

Vital 1st Team Regular
To me this feels something like both clubs will double their players and resources overnight. Short term and long term loans etc. Warm weather training. Who knows five decent loan players in desperate need of match time may be there ready and waiting just as soon as some pen pusher in an office in Preston pulls their finger out of their arse.

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Football Hero
Really good thinking from Jay Whittle getting someone outside of the Wigan bubble who is familiar with Moreno to give a perspective.

It isn't a sexy or exciting way to run a club but it sounds pragmatic and sensible and probably the type of model most new owners would be looking to use due to lack of money and salary cap in L1. I think Ganaye probably would've ran the club like that based on what he's been doing elsewhere. I had read about Leganes back at the start and they sounded like a well run club but better to hear that reaffirmed.

I don't think any of that would've put Nandy and the SC off - and the fact Nandy said they were going to be 'unsustainable' doesn't sound like she was given the same pitch.

My issue has never been what Moreno did at Leganes or him repeating that here as I think that is fine. But there has been something off about this throughout, there seems like something we don't know that no one is willing to say and admins response makes me more suspicious.

I think the SC, Nandy, council or anyone else could really do with shooting straight with us if they have an issue. I'm not asking for all of the details but surely we are at the part of the process where we say 'if anyone has any reason why they should not be joined together in ownership speak now'. We've not had word from any of them since they pretty much said they wanted to move onto the next bidder - since that doesn't appear to be happening it's probably worth saying something.

I'm frustrated feeling like there is an elephant in the room. Moreno should be on paper a good owner but it feels like those in the know don't believe so for some reason. I think we've been very patient as a whole and given everyone time and space but we really could do with some info. If they geuinely think the Spanish are not right there won't be much point saying 'we knew that was going to happen' if something goes wrong 6 months down the line they need to say something now. I understand it might be tricky to say too much with NDAs but I'm certain they could carefully say something that isn't that specific but reflects any overall concerns.

Made in Wigan

Vital Football Hero
I’ve just had a listen Arthur.

I’m still none the wiser why he wants to buy us or what he hopes to gain out of it. Says Moreno is a Leganes fan, so his priorities will lay with them, understandably. Mine would be with us if I owned both clubs. Given that I fail to see why he would invest money in us when he could use it on them. Is his plan to make us their feeder club? Can there be some shared costs owning two clubs in sepetate countries, particularly in light of the fact we’ve left the EU? Maybe, but I’m not entirely sure how much.

Seems the fans have an issue with him flogging all their strikers and not replacing them. Something I’m sure we can all have empathise with.

I really don’t get the repeated comments he made about surrounding himself with the right people. He’s just got into bed with three individuals who had to drop out of the group as they weren’t fit. I got the impression he won’t be hands on so begs the question who will be. I suspect this christo chap will raise his ugly head again in some capacity.

If you want some positives then his marketing initiatives encourage me. Undoubtedly we don’t get the commercial revenue we can, so this should be an easy win for him.

That said we are Wigan not Leganes so it difficult to say he’ll replicate the success here. From what I understand about the points I’ve previously raised then I’ve still major concerns and have more questions than answers. I haven’t changed my mind and personally hope they don’t get the club, but accept it’s highly likely they will sadly.

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Football Hero
It may have been discussed earlier but I just heard this clip

What Stanley said about Cristo being a minor player, only an advisor, not set to be an owner or a director and only contributing a small part of the money does not reflect what we know. He was the figure head so not minor, he was registered as being on the board, he was contributing about a third of the money so he clearly was going to be a major contributor and owner and if he wasnt why would he need to take the test? The fact that him being rejected has resulted in 3 directors being removed suggests strongly he was a significant part of it all. Why not be straight with us, why try and downplay what happened if we are ok now?

I don't trust admin from how they've handled this whole thing so far and this statement makes me more nervous rather than less as it sounds like pure spin when I was under the impression no spin would be needed.

Also worth noting they said 90% of the problems solved - so what is the remains 10% but I thought Cristo was the only issue.

It may have been discussed earlier but I just heard this clip

What Stanley said about Cristo being a minor player, only an advisor, not set to be an owner or a director and only contributing a small part of the money does not reflect what we know. He was the figure head so not minor, he was registered as being on the board, he was contributing about a third of the money so he clearly was going to be a major contributor and owner and if he wasnt why would he need to take the test? The fact that him being rejected has resulted in 3 directors being removed suggests strongly he was a significant part of it all. Why not be straight with us, why try and downplay what happened if we are ok now?

I don't trust admin from how they've handled this whole thing so far and this statement makes me more nervous rather than less as it sounds like pure spin when I was under the impression no spin would be needed.

Also worth noting they said 90% of the problems solved - so what is the remains 10% but I thought Cristo was the only issue.
I found them comments extremely strange myself, but I have become accustomed to these admins making stupid comments. Ever since both Stanley and Krasner end up saying contradictory things.