NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER | Page 131 | Vital Football

NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it very much whelan has ever spoken to these guys
Last time we heard from him was day of administration
He said I'll see if I can help or if there is anything I can do
Then vanished back to Barbados
If I had to guess I would say more martinez has been putting this club about in spain
Not whelan
How do you know that he "vanished back to Barbados" and the last time he was involved was on the day of administration?
These are only your biased assumptions based on zero facts.
He may not have been, but then again he may have been, there are phones and internet services in Barbados

How do you know that he "vanished back to Barbados" and the last time he was involved was on the day of administration?
He may not have been, but then again he may have been, there are phones and internet services in Barbados
How do you know he didn't that's your biased view

Doubt it very much whelan has ever spoken to these guys
Last time we heard from him was day of administration
He said I'll see if I can help or if there is anything I can do
Then vanished back to Barbados
If I had to guess I would say more martinez has been putting this club about in spain
Not whelan
To be fair to Whelan the Wigan SLO did state on Supporters Club thread that "I understand that the Whelan family have been in constant contact over developments, .."

There's a rent review in 2024. That's probably when we can put the worriers rent up.

I didn’t know that Yon Mon. It’s clear now why Pollard was so desperate to get his hands on our stadium. It doesn’t excuse his behaviour however.

Given this, timescale negotiations for a new contract to start before this date can start within a short space of time. It would be in the interest of both parties for this to happen - us because we’d get increased revenue before this date and Pollard because the longer it goes on the weaker his negotiating position is.

The town only needs one stadium for both clubs and it’s only really viable with both playing there. That said at the levels they currently pay it wouldn’t make a significant difference if they weren’t there. However they’ll know they’ve an excellent deal and i suspect know it will be changed dramatically. I wouldn’t rule out a deal where he gains a % share of it either which would offset ongoing costs for ourselves.

Not sure what’s happening with the Chippy but I’d imagine it would be a property that would interest pollard greatly for use as a club shop, egg chasing bar/away football bar on the footprint of the stadium.

With the current Wigan Athletic company being disolved once the takeover completed and the name and assets transfering into a brand new company we probably have a legitimate case to have the business rates reviewed again.

As the former review took place on a now defunct company with drastically different income.

I am certain the new owners will be looking at trying to get those rates reduced to standard L1 levels. If they can it still wont make the stadium profitable but it will be over half a million in loses reduced.

The time and money Mr Whelan put into the club I just find it incomprehensible that he would sit back and watch it die. I simply cannot believe he hasn't been trying to find a solution.
What whelan did for our club was fantastic and enjoyable but all things must come to a end
The whelan family sold up because eventually it would be a drain on his family wealth which was impossible to sustain
Yes he stated he would see if there was anything he could possibly do to help
But probably after seeing what was going on and what admins required
He found it impossible to get involved financially again and probably why in the end he went quiet about it in public
Its not that he sat back and watch club die he is old and his mindset is very differant these days

Exactly...people shouldn't comment without any substance to them. He hasn't a clue what DW has or hasn't done, or for that matter his whereabouts.

With the current Wigan Athletic company being disolved once the takeover completed and the name and assets transfering into a brand new company we probably have a legitimate case to have the business rates reviewed again.

As the former review took place on a now defunct company with drastically different income.

I am certain the new owners will be looking at trying to get those rates reduced to standard L1 levels. If they can it still wont make the stadium profitable but it will be over half a million in loses reduced.

This is exactly the point I made in my post on the "deal edging closer" thread early in September.

The Chairman of the valuation tribunal stated that the reason for denying the appeal was due to the lack of change in the business, that is that the club and its Directors were in effect no different from the PL days.

What surprises me is that IEC didn't follow up on this and try to get the rates reduced due to the change of circumstance when they took over.

This is exactly the point I made in my post on the "deal edging closer" thread early in September.

The Chairman of the valuation tribunal stated that the reason for denying the appeal was due to the lack of change in the business, that is that the club and its Directors were in effect no different from the PL days.

What surprises me is that IEC didn't follow up on this and try to get the rates reduced due to the change of circumstance when they took over.

I am sure they would've looked but realisticlly we appealed twice in the previous 2 years, one while we were looking at relegation to L1 and again while we were in L1. If the revenue was so different and they didn't feel that was a sufficient change of circumstance i don't think the name of owners changing would've mattered even if they previously used that as a reason. If we thought it would do they probably would've done it.

Hopefully the fact the previous company is dead means they will be more willing look at current revenue rather than the distant past. Also with what has gone on we'd likely get a bigger push from council, MPs, Covid, admin etc to help pressure for change. If they were fair minded they would've already reduced the fees, but the weight of evidence now of the fees being unfair may be so overwheming that they are forced to give in.

Even if we get the rates reduced it's still going to be very difficult to make the stadium profitable. The rate reduction along probably means we'd be losing closer to 400k rather than the 1m of the previous year.

I am sure they would've looked but realisticlly we appealed twice in the previous 2 years, one while we were looking at relegation to L1 and again while we were in L1. If the revenue was so different and they didn't feel that was a sufficient change of circumstance i don't think the name of owners changing would've mattered even if they previously used that as a reason. If we thought it would do they probably would've done it.

Hopefully the fact the previous company is dead means they will be more willing look at current revenue rather than the distant past. Also with what has gone on we'd likely get a bigger push from council, MPs, Covid, admin etc to help pressure for change. If they were fair minded they would've already reduced the fees, but the weight of evidence now of the fees being unfair may be so overwheming that they are forced to give in.

Even if we get the rates reduced it's still going to be very difficult to make the stadium profitable. The rate reduction along probably means we'd be losing closer to 400k rather than the 1m of the previous year.

The £1 million figure was a blip caused by the extension of the accounting year and losses from the ending of the stadium naming rights. The true figure is more like 700k and most of that is the rates.
If we manage to get a reduction to reflect the position we are now in that would bring the profitability of the stadium nearer.

As far as getting the reduction goes, the chairman of the tribunal was sympathetic but as he stated as a "material change in circumstances" had not taken place he had to deny the appeal. There is now a definite change of circumstances in that the business that appealed the decision will now be wound up and a new company will be in place and there is as you say the fact that Covid is denying the stadium company any income.

Hopefully this time it will be successful.

Nixon knows something saying " Intreaging "

It’s going through the process. With the proper authorities. But the back story to how this came up is interesting.

Last edited:
I didn’t know that Yon Mon. It’s clear now why Pollard was so desperate to get his hands on our stadium. It doesn't excuse his behaviour however.
Not sure what’s happening with the Chippy but I’d imagine it would be a property that would interest pollard greatly for use as a club shop, egg chasing bar/away football bar on the footprint of the stadium.

I'd be surprised if under the worriers rent agreement that they're allowed to open up the chippy as a supporters club selling refreshments.
Maybe the low amount they pay in rent is offset by them not having an outside facility near the ground and their fans spending more money in the stadium.
I know they tried to do summat at Robin Park earlier in their season but I think it got stopped for the above reason.

The rent review was mentioned by the Chinese or Darron Royle when they took over.

I'd be surprised if under the worriers rent agreement that they're allowed to open up the chippy as a supporters club selling refreshments.
Maybe the low amount they pay in rent is offset by them not having an outside facility near the ground and their fans spending more money in the stadium.
I know they tried to do summat at Robin Park earlier in their season but I think it got stopped for the above reason.

The rent review was mentioned by the Chinese or Darron Royle when they took over.

Good point, I guess it’ll depend on the contract wording. Stadium needs another tenant and pollard needs a stadium to play in so it should be a fair negotiation. Bottom line they have a golden deal at present and that will change. Increase the rent, reduce the rates, obtain new stadium sponsorship, be creative around additional use and the losses should be reduced significantly.

To safeguard its future and share costs it maybe that it’s ownership is looked at as suggested earlier in thread in regards part ownership with council and pollard.

Status
Not open for further replies.