New owners and recruitment | Page 2 | Vital Football

New owners and recruitment

We’d have to wrap Hooper in cotton wool, but at this point I’d take the risk as I don’t see who else we can get that’s proven at this level like he is.

I also don’t think our apparent pursuit of Hugill is over yet either. Whatever happens with him will probably happen late in the window as it’ll no doubt come down to what team is willing to pay the most of the ridiculous wages that he’ll no doubt be on at West Ham. Another example of a Premier League club with more money than sense panic buying in January. PNE must be laughing themselves silly at the money they got for him in the same way we did with Yanic.
They were and still are because he is crap.

Now we need to be looking at strikers who could fit the lone striker roll well and be effective in that roll. How about offering Sunderland a cheeky Million pounds for Will and bring him home. Next would have to be his support to make him effective so the biggest need is in attacking mid and or decent wing backs. ....My God Cooks got a job on so come on dumb and dumber (in an commmunication manner) sort this out for the manager quickly. Hooper, Hugill and Clarke excempt though.

I don't rate many of the players we've been linked with in the press. Semedo had potential, but it was only potential; I'm over the moon Gallagher is out of the picture. Hugill is another donkey I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Eaves is absolutely chronic, another absolute no no.

I'm not worried we've not brought players in, because if those are the sort of players we're being linked to, then I'd rather give Lang, Gelhardt and co a go than spunk a load of money on crap just for the sake of spending money.

I'd much rather have no signings than crap signings. I just hope that as usual, we're playing our cards close to our chest and the players we do get will be a cut above the shite we've been linked to by the press. Marshall was a very pleasant surprise, and I heard nothing about it until it was all but done. A couple more like that will do me fine.

Hardly a surprise, he called Marshall before anyone else heard a scooby. One thing that properly embarrassed me last week was Wigan Evening Post claiming Semedo was a done deal. They didn’t have a clue it was a done deal, they ripped off what had been reported from Nixon and Portuguese media. As they are supposed to be the local press they should have known before anyone else that the deal was dead. I knew there was a good reason I don’t buy that rag anymore

Don't come on here any more but was alerted to this by a friend...

I/we NEVER claimed Semedo was a 'done deal'. That's just completely untrue. Here was my last story on the matter...written minutes after speaking to the someone high up at the club for an update...and at that point they were still under the impression he was on a flight over to England to sign for Latics... Clearly events took a turn, perhaps agents getting involved, and he went elsewhere, which we also reported.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-transfer-trail-hots-up-1-9854549

If you have a gripe/agenda with the paper for whatever reason, that's up to you, free world. But that also gives me the right to clear up/correct absolute nonsense.

And I/we don't rip off anyone for info. Anything I/we write is verified with sources at the club before publication. That means we're not always first with the info, but readers can be assured everything we publish is absolutely correct as of time of writing.

Yep not a clue. That's why I spent Tuesday night at Fylde and Wednesday at Euxton speaking to players and management...
To be fair some people on this board spent Tuesday night(and there own money) at Fylde so can't really see your point! On Wednesday you were doing the job you are paid for, again can't see your point

To be fair some people on this board spent Tuesday night(and there own money) at Fylde so can't really see your point! On Wednesday you were doing the job you are paid for, again can't see your point
I think Paul's point Exiled was in answer to the accusation that he/the paper merely reads and prints (plagiarises/copies) other stuff.

He was at the game & training ground. He spoke directly to staff. Quite right, he was merely doing his job .......... but I guess he was peeved at the accusation that he wasn't doing it !

Bio
I think Paul's point Exiled was in answer to the accusation that he/the paper merely reads and prints (plagiarises/copies) other stuff.

He was at the game & training ground. He spoke directly to staff. Quite right, he was merely doing his job .......... but I guess he was peeved at the accusation that he wasn't doing it !

Bingo. I'm glad someone gets it. But why take ownership of being called out for making false comments and do the decent thing...when you can steer this down a different path and keep digging...? Think we're done here anyway.

Fair enough Moonay/Coddenchips, see your points but still find the paper poor for breaking stories.

Like I said before, there's too much emphasis these days on being first rather than right in all sections of the media...leads to more problems than solutions...our readers know anything we publish is right and can be trusted. Means sometimes we know stuff that can't be published, but we have relationships to protect as well.

I think we are all getting very frustrated with the lack of signings but getting at Paul Kendrick is not solution. Paul is a dedicated Latics man and I'm sure he would love to give us all the gossip but is restricted with his job and to protect his sources

Like I said before, there's too much emphasis these days on being first rather than right in all sections of the media...leads to more problems than solutions...our readers know anything we publish is right and can be trusted. Means sometimes we know stuff that can't be published, but we have relationships to protect as well.
Hang on, the job of the Wigan Post football desk is solely to report on Wigan Athletic to serve Wigan Athletic fans, not to serve the club itself. To supply the supporters with important information regarding aspects of the club which includes the development of transfers before any other media outlet no matter who it upsets. So why are national journalists such as Alan Nixon or anyone else for that matter, breaking transfer stories regarding Wigan before you are? I grew up in the era where the local paper was the only place you could find breaking news regarding the club, and now the local media is the very last to report on breaking news, hence why folk like me don’t buy it anymore.

You can do your job just fine without getting into bed with the football club, as long as your contacts book is big enough..

I wasn’t accusing you of plagiarism by the way. I’m not a journalist but I understand plagiarism is a serious offence and that wasn’t my intention so I apologise if you took it that way.

Last edited:
Sorry but that's tripe. How many clubs have barred their local paper because they've fallen out. If the club ask for something to be kept quiet for a few days and the paper goes ahead and publishes, then any trust is gone and there'll be nothing getting out al all. Nixon's scattergun approach will get something right eventually, but last summer especially, our transfer dealings were done in secret and never reported till they were completed.

Hang on, the job of the Wigan Post football desk is solely to report on Wigan Athletic to serve Wigan Athletic fans, not to serve the club itself. To supply the supporters with important information regarding aspects of the club which includes the development of transfers before any other media outlet no matter who it upsets. So why are national journalists such as Alan Nixon or anyone else for that matter, breaking transfer stories regarding Wigan before you are? I grew up in the era where the local paper was the only place you could find breaking news regarding the club, and now the local media is the very last to report on breaking news, hence why folk like me don’t buy it anymore.................

Presumably though C_Latics, you grew up when Latics were first in the league, in the old Divs 3 & 4 ................. no-one outside a very small radius of the town cared about the club, never mind reported on it.

.................You can do your job just fine without getting into bed with the football club, as long as your contacts book is big enough.........

Why would a local sports journalist have a contacts book that covers the whole of the UK, plus Europe, plus wherever else our fans think we should be sourcing players from?

I think local journalists should be first in the queue with stories for many things ........ but I can understand when transfers isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Sorry but that's tripe. How many clubs have barred their local paper because they've fallen out. If the club ask for something to be kept quiet for a few days and the paper goes ahead and publishes, then any trust is gone and there'll be nothing getting out al all. Nixon's scattergun approach will get something right eventually, but last summer especially, our transfer dealings were done in secret and never reported till they were completed.
Call it scattergun all you like, he gets clicks, he gets exclusives and therefore does his job very well. He also manages to do so without kissing the arses of the football clubs in question. Like I said, it’s all about having good contacts, not about being in bed with the management of the football club you cover. And if you get banned, so what? It’s 2019, you can watch every match online, you don’t need a free press pass to cover a game.