New Manager | Page 17 | Vital Football

New Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there ever a time when Lincoln had the philosophy of selecting a big name manager?

I would also add Jacko and Tilson to the list - not necessarily big names in the total football world, but both had achieved promotions at our level (at the time) ie been there, done it, got the tee shirt. I still feel Jacko could have done a job. but was scuppered by his illness (like MA??), but Tilson was an absolute disaster

Last edited:
Shamrock have 3 matches in a week including the home fixture against table toppers Derry City, who have already beaten them at the Brandywell.

I’m sure all parties will want this sorting one way or another before those matches.

This is a big opportunity for Stephen and his managerial career. I’d guess our playing budget is 5 times Shamrock’s. I watch League of Ireland football when across in Ireland and there are some good players but it’s well behind L1. Also, no one plays in front of an atmosphere like a full Sincil Bank or crowd size like Sheff Wed or Sunderland. City have scouted extensively in Ireland we know that so are respectors of the talent pool both in players and managers. It should speak volumes to Stephen that he is rated the number 1 target above a long list of more established potential names quoted in the media.

Shamrock have a match on Friday night and for all concerned I think the decision needs to be made by then. If it drifts into next week then it may be sending the wrong signals to Clive and the board.

If this is handled correctly then we could forge strong links with Shamrock in terms of player loans to them etc.

Re This being sorted before Shamrocks busy week of games, this is only relevant if this guy is our man. If he’s the red herring, we won’t be in any rush to sort it before their next games as it’s not our problem!

I think whoever it turns out to be, we will be extremely keen to get it over the line as soon as possible, putting a restricted time box on accepting any offer before we look elsewhere - not long to get any additions in and the squad together before we kick off the new season.

David Herd was a huge name. He came from a managerial role in Ireland too, albeit a short-lived one.

David Herd was perhaps on a par with Chris Sutton, but he did have a good season with City, even if we didn't quite manage promotion at the end of it.

Allan Clarke had managed Leeds in the top flight.

Willie Bell managed Birmingham in the top flight before being sacked by them three months before he was appointed by City.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Colin Murphy had spent just under a year as manager of Derby County in the top division, but wasn't exactly high profile when he joined City a bit more than a year later.

Shamrock have 3 matches in a week including the home fixture against table toppers Derry City, who have already beaten them at the Brandywell.

I’m sure all parties will want this sorting one way or another before those matches.

This is a big opportunity for Stephen and his managerial career. I’d guess our playing budget is 5 times Shamrock’s. I watch League of Ireland football when across in Ireland and there are some good players but it’s well behind L1. Also, no one plays in front of an atmosphere like a full Sincil Bank or crowd size like Sheff Wed or Sunderland. City have scouted extensively in Ireland we know that so are respectors of the talent pool both in players and managers. It should speak volumes to Stephen that he is rated the number 1 target above a long list of more established potential names quoted in the media.

Shamrock have a match on Friday night and for all concerned I think the decision needs to be made by then. If it drifts into next week then it may be sending the wrong signals to Clive and the board.

If this is handled correctly then we could forge strong links with Shamrock in terms of player loans to them etc.

Does anyone think this level difference is concerning at all? I'm not saying either way and he might be the calibre of person that steps up easily - but I don't recall that many managers making the move from Ireland to the UK and the Irish managers I can think of who have been more successful worked in England as their first job.

If we were more in for say, Ian Foster, he'll have been working with a pool of players who comprise a lot of our transfer targets in the higher levels of English youth football. Whereas it sounds like based on wages and the quality etc, Shamrock are fishing where we would have been 5 or 6 years ago?

And the jury is out even on the Cowleys at our level, who were probably more like that standard of football but much more obviously successful relative to budgets with Braintree etc?

I think it's really interesting as a name and appointment, just feels a little bit more unknown? Appleton knew L1 really well and the Cowleys knew the NL inside out so they were at the right 'level' already, if that makes sense.

Does anyone think this level difference is concerning at all? I'm not saying either way and he might be the calibre of person that steps up easily - but I don't recall that many managers making the move from Ireland to the UK and the Irish managers I can think of who have been more successful worked in England as their first job.

If we were more in for say, Ian Foster, he'll have been working with a pool of players who comprise a lot of our transfer targets in the higher levels of English youth football. Whereas it sounds like based on wages and the quality etc, Shamrock are fishing where we would have been 5 or 6 years ago?

And the jury is out even on the Cowleys at our level, who were probably more like that standard of football but much more obviously successful relative to budgets with Braintree etc?

I think it's really interesting as a name and appointment, just feels a little bit more unknown? Appleton knew L1 really well and the Cowleys knew the NL inside out so they were at the right 'level' already, if that makes sense.
LOI does seem quite Conference Prem level (or even below) in terms of attendances and budgets.

If it happens, it does feel a more risky one than a Cowley or Appleton for the reasons you say above.

“Accomplishing something of note at another, English, club would leave him better placed to land a more attractive job down the line.”
What job could possibly be more attractive than here, I ask you. 🤣
Can you see the article? I can only view the first couple of lines!

Listened to the Radio Lincs special and he definitely ticks all the boxes, however I’m sure we will want to talk to him and he to us before anything decided. This also stated that Jez is very much still DOF so not sure about those links.
Referring back to your comment, on the podcast previous managers of Shamrock were Michael O’Neill & Stephen Kenny

Foster coaches England u19 team, who are in the European chamionship competition June til July. If we appoint him he will be away for some of the pre season!?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.