New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions) | Page 8 | Vital Football

New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions)

Has Lindsey actually done a good job? I don't follow Crawley.

Has he transformed average players to play incredibly well?
Crawley's squad was decimated in the summer, a lot of fans were very unhappy about it. He's got them in the play offs, against a lot of predictions. Players like Orsi he's transformed. They score plenty of goals as well. With better defenders Lindsey could hit the ground running here.

Crawley's squad was decimated in the summer, a lot of fans were very unhappy about it. He's got them in the play offs, against a lot of predictions. Players like Orsi he's transformed. They score plenty of goals as well. With better defenders Lindsey could hit the ground running here.
I'm sold!

Interesting. That was a Cheltenham side that also failed to score in their first 11 league games iirc?

They make our attack look like Real Madrid!

I'm sold!
Given he appears to have lost his way when we approached Crawley last Autumn it is a incredibly good effort to make the playoffs.On that basis I think Lindsey would probably top my list.
If we do chase a established league two or above boss I do wonder if Jackett's days might be numbered?

Rumour from a fairly good source that Brad and Scally are at Chatham town tonight.Bar talk of Chatham town manager Gary Hake in the frame . Personally I doubt it. Could be something totally different?
i would not be surprised if we had a deal with Chats for loaning our youth products might need to be done before contracts are considered.

Given he appears to have lost his way when we approached Crawley last Autumn it is a incredibly good effort to make the playoffs.On that basis I think Lindsey would probably top my list.
If we do chase a established league two or above boss I do wonder if Jackett's days might be numbered?
I feel KJ needs to apologise or explain how the scouting system at GFC works.

I think he's too tarnished to carry on as DOF.

Rumour from a fairly good source that Brad and Scally are at Chatham town tonight.Bar talk of Chatham town manager Gary Hake in the frame . Personally I doubt it. Could be something totally different?
i would not be surprised if we had a deal with Chats for loaning our youth products might need to be done before contracts are considered.
The Chatham manager (and chairman, and possibly owner) is Kevin Hake, who took the reins as a stopgap when Scott Lindsey left and is still in charge, now trying for a third promotion in successive years.

They could simply be supporting a local club (with four ex Gills players) in a big match. Or talking about the ladies' team. Or as you say researching the standard with one eye on a loan agreement - potentially useful if the Chats reach the NLS. Or asking for feedback on Lindsey. I reckon there's zero chance we're considering poaching their manager.

Scally, Brad Galinson and Stuart O’Keefe are all there tonight, seen photos of them on Twitter.
Scally is not with Brad though.

If it's not something different then we deserve to get relegated next season.

There is really no need for any recruitment process in my opinion.
Simply identify the first choice candidate and make them the best offer we can and give them a fixed period of time to accept or decline. Two or three days maximum.
If declined, move straight on to the next on the list.
We don’t need interviews or short lists.
My first choice would be Ainsworth
Second Duff
Both available immediately
Yes Shotshy, agree with that line of thinking with those two, another who's been mentioned but not much on this thread is Paul Heckingbottom. He's managed at Leeds, Barnsley and Sheffield United with quite a degree of success, although he may not want to move down south or at league two level. But if we dangle a big enough carrot with Brad's money who knows.

Scally, Brad Galinson and Stuart O’Keefe are all there tonight, seen photos of them on Twitter.
Scally is not with Brad though.
Based on the photos on twitter tonight Scally will finally get his chance in the dugout, with assistant manger Michael Anderson and coach Stuart O'Keefe:eek:

Last edited:
The Chatham manager (and chairman, and possibly owner) is Kevin Hake, who took the reins as a stopgap when Scott Lindsey left and is still in charge, now trying for a third promotion in successive years.

They could simply be supporting a local club (with four ex Gills players) in a big match. Or talking about the ladies' team. Or as you say researching the standard with one eye on a loan agreement - potentially useful if the Chats reach the NLS. Or asking for feedback on Lindsey. I reckon there's zero chance we're considering poaching their manager.
I think you could be spot on Scally there might be something like youth player deal .I can imagine Brad giving him that sort of task .
Meanwhile Brad talking to Chats chairman about Scott Lindsey would make sense.

All plausible, but nice if they just went along to give a local team a shout, too.

I think this is the more likely reason rather than the 20 conspiracy theories put forward, especially on the forums.

They are all football people, and there’s a big game on for our most local side, a club we have ties with through players, locality, sponsors, loans etc. I reckon it would be rude if no Gills hierarchy were there.

What I am finding bizarre is that the supposed targets that have had relatively short (Lindsey) or no (Maher) experience of managing in the lower reaches of the EPL are currently in jobs and will therefore cost a lot to appoint whereas those that have a better and longer proven pedigree (Ainsworth, Duff) can be approached or even appointed immediately for nothing.

Clemence had no managerial experience but was not in a job so at least could be seen as a punt we could afford to get wrong but I would hope that BG will now think long and hard about what we need and where he will get value for money.