Nathan Baker Sold | Page 3 | Vital Football

Nathan Baker Sold

Silhillvilla - 28/7/2017 20:57

Indeed , it's a decision that will come back to haunt us once the geriatrics start getting injuries etc

I think young Bree will move to Centre back eventually , slotted in alongside Samba last weekend no problem at all sturdy lad for 19 and then there's Easah Suliman also 19 plus a £1m Jacob Bedeau at just 17 . .

SherlockGT - 28/7/2017 20:33

ultimately not good enough for where we want to be.

You're probably right about that, but the trouble is, we are not there yet.

I'm surprised Bruce has such faith in Terry, Samba and Chester, but with all his promotion-winning experience, I'm sure he know what he's doing.

Hopefully.

Not seen Suliman or Bedeau , probably never will , no doubt we are cultivating them for Preston / Bolton / insert name to cherry pick off us .

Should of got rid of Richards instead. Mind, you, even though he's on more money than Baker was, we wouldn't be able to get @£4m for him.....

Sad state of affairs really. Good luck Nathan, we'll miss you my friend, you always put everything into it for us. :21:

Hmmm he's that good bristol city have snatched him from us. I never cease to be amazed at the over reaction to a transfer that 20 years ago wouldn't have raised an eye brow , 26 years old and descent in the Championship , big deal , no better than Carl tiler.

I know how he must feel forced out by some has beens but that is football . rather than hang around he's moved on.
Shame Richards and Gabby etc don't do the same, no they'll hang around and milk the club for millions whilst disrupting the rest of the squad with their lazy lump attitudes .

I'm not as convinced as some that Chester will be first choice over Samba either , Bruce is now getting his men in .

Bottom line is we finished 13th and a million miles away from promotion , to me the defence only looked good because of Jedi and the fact we never actually tried to get forwards .

Throw men forward and we go ripped to bits like at Brentford . If we'd scored and extra 40 goals the defence would be fine but we don't even create 40 chances

A shame but no great loss

Nathan Baker was the player virtually everyone wanted to succeed. A localish lad who wpre his heart on his sleeve and put his head where it hurts. At the age of 21 he really looked like he could be the next Mellberg.

But as the years passed, he just didn't progress at the required rate, the same mistakes were being made, the positional sense was not improving and the leadership wasn't materialising.

Last year he was slightly better but again, mistakes were made week after week, whether they lead to a goal or not, we conceded so many free headers from free kicks as Baker had got drawn to the ball.

I really liked him, I really wanted him to succeed, but in all honesty, Bristol City is his level. If you want to build a team that can possibly keep you up in the Championship, he is a good signing, If you want to get promoted and stay in the Premier League - he'slight years off good enough.

Good luck Nathan - my daughter will miss you loads, and to be fair, so will I

He did progress. When he came back from Bristol City he was a far better player than when he went. A few mistakes still there but it was just a few. Not an accident that he kept Elphick out of the side. Remember he was playing in a team with an ineffective defensive midfield except when Jedi was playing.

McParlandTheGreat - 29/7/2017 11:27

He did progress. When he came back from Bristol City he was a far better player than when he went. A few mistakes still there but it was just a few. Not an accident that he kept Elphick out of the side. Remember he was playing in a team with an ineffective defensive midfield except when Jedi was playing.

Totally agree. And he could have learned so much off JT whose only here a year contract wise (I think anyway!)

Maybe he wanted game time instead of learning of JT and you can't blame him at his age.

£4 million is a very reasonable price as well in my humble.

Melon Donkey - 28/7/2017 19:57

Very very surprised at this.
But
It is Nathan Baker we have sold not Paul McGrath. And if it's 4 million then that is great business. 4 year contract is fair play to him aswell.

Let's be honest if all goes to... ahem...plan is Baker a premier league standard. In my humble, no. Therefore would we need to replace him if we go up?
Yes.
Similar to Clark for me. I bet he will struggle for Toon this year despite a good championship season.

To be clear, thought he did ok last year. No nonsense row Z defender. But head in hands defender as he tried to curl a long pass down the inside left channel only for it to go into the Trinity.

Surprised but not crying. Samba, Terry, Chester, Jedinak will do for me. Whether he stayed or went we would need to look at him for next season in the...ahem... prem any way.

From Brucies comments he never wanted to sell him or expected to , but like a proper man Baker wanted to play so went to Bristol . He could have cause have sat on the bench and played second fiddle to the other 3 plus Jedi . At 26 with 122 games behind him a 4 year contract at Bristol is a better option . He's a Worcester Lad and it's a quick blast down the M5 to Bristol . well perhaps not quick but 60 miles it's an hour or so .

The question I am asking myself is , Will we miss him this season ?

My answer is I don't think we will , as much as I like him.

sirdennis - 30/7/2017 08:16

The question I am asking myself is , Will we miss him this season ?

My answer is I don't think we will , as much as I like him.

You're right , this time last season we had just sold Clarke , and let Toner out on loan .
I remember the moaning on here about that . Now Toner doesn't even get a mention and never set the world alight at walsall ? Everyone was moaning we only had Elphfick and Baker , Chester signed and was better than either of them . Toner and Clarky were soon forgotten about.
I like Nathan and wish him well accept against us of cause but we are hardly going to miss him are we .

Do not understand this sale at all Baker was one of the very few who always gave 100% to my mind the only time Chester looked solid was alongside Baker so we sign a 33 y.o. on a free and make a present of a 26 y.o. to another championship club. Chester may have impressed some on here but for me Baker was a far better player. Wish you every success Nathan and hope we dont end up with egg on face come the end of the season. So we keep stalwarts like Richards and sell a player who was useful bloody daft Bruce.