MP for Lincoln | Page 2 | Vital Football

MP for Lincoln

De-selected from the Labour party and won the by-election which followed. Lost his seat at the next election the following year. Did he join the newly formed SDP?
Beaten by Margaret Beckett who was then beaten by Kenneth Carlisle.
Gillian Merron next

Yes, she served a term between McCartney's two gigs.

My wife had some dealings with her through a campaign group to keep NHS walk-in centres open in Lincoln. She wasn't impressed.

She used to like talking about her 'nursing' career, etc.. and play on that, but knowing people who worked with her, they mainly say she was an awful nurse!

Now aged 92, he's certainly has his money's worth from his Life Peerage, awarded in 1996. (Baron Taverne of Pimlico)

He's not dead???
Remember my dad voting for him
My grandad stuck with labour as he always did and even hilariously got the conservative to collect him and drive him to the polling station. Convinced the tory candidate he was an infirm pensioner who couldn't possibly make it to vote without a lift.
In fact he walked huge distances every day at a rapid pace that no one could keep up with!

Last edited:
He stood as Social Democrat I think?
So was actually SDP before the rest of them.

He formed the Lincoln Democratic Labour association and won the by-election caused by his resignation from parliament. He was re-elected in the first General Election of 1974 but in the second one later that year he was defeated.

Democratic Labour controlled Lincoln City Council from 1973 to 1979 but failed to win any seats in the 1979 General Election.

Details are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Labour_Party_(UK,_1972)

Beaten by Margaret Beckett who was then beaten by Kenneth Carlisle.
Gillian Merron next

My class visited the Houses of Parliament in '79 and we met Kenneth Carlisle. I think he was an acquaintance of our teacher. I presume the whole thing was organised as an invitation from him, but having moved away, I had quite forgotten him.

My only other contact with a Conservative MP is with Mr Mark Prickhead* who represents the constituency I live in. Most of the Shropshire MPs come across as loathsome and useless.

*he might be called Pritchard, but you get the jist

I met her two or three times at social things. Was not impressed...

I met her once as well and she seemed the archetypal politico of the era to me.

I still maintain she lost her seat in Lincoln in large part over the post-office closure vote debacle.

Mind you, you look back and think... different world...

My class visited the Houses of Parliament in '79 and we met Kenneth Carlisle. I think he was an acquaintance of our teacher. I presume the whole thing was organised as an invitation from him, but having moved away, I had quite forgotten him.

My only other contact with a Conservative MP is with Mr Mark Prickhead* who represents the constituency I live in. Most of the Shropshire MPs come across as loathsome and useless.

*he might be called Pritchard, but you get the jist

That wasn't Birchwood school was it?

I've been drawing a spunky cock on my ballot paper for the last 5 years as I cant bring myself to vote for any of them. Mrs Croozey nearly gave the game away last time, as she did her vote really quick and then called over "come on, hurray up" and everyone could clearly hear me 'shading in'.