Most potential? | Vital Football

Most potential?

imp73

Vital Squad Member
Just for a bit of speculative imps banter... which current members of our squad do you think will end up playing at the highest level? (Including the loan players)

My guess is Eyoma looks equipped to have the best career.. maybe not spurs but certainly in the prem. 2 or 3 others too, but i think he is the clear stand out considering age, consistency, athleticism etc.

Agree with both.

I don't think I've seen an Imps squad with so much potential, playing at the highest level I've ever seen a Lincoln team playing at and mainly comprising young players who clearly are being very well coached.

It's the obvious one, so I'll say it - has to be Montsma. I think the most optimistic of us would have described the signing of a young Dutch centre back from a struggling, part time Eredivisie 2 club as 'intriguing'. Because of injuries, he may have had his first team chance earlier than initially intended, but to say he adapted from the off is an understatement.

Confident, possibly borderline arrogant, and improving continually, adding better judgement to a skill set which frankly, for a centre back, is outrageous and has been the source of much of the delight this team has generated already this season. The ball juggling goals, that passing, that shot on Tuesday...

I think players we could get offers for in January are:

Grant, Anderson, Montsma and Roughan.

Just for a bit of speculative imps banter... which current members of our squad do you think will end up playing at the highest level? (Including the loan players)

My guess is Eyoma looks equipped to have the best career.. maybe not spurs but certainly in the prem. 2 or 3 others too, but i think he is the clear stand out considering age, consistency, athleticism etc.
Eyoma wont play higher as a fullback, he may welling the middle. I dont know why, but he just looks a little awkward with ball at feet.
Montsma will likely end up bottom end PL or top end Championship.
Roughan could be anything, as they say of young racehorses. He might well hold a Derby entry as a 1 year old.
The likes of HA, Grant and Palmer are probably solid Championship level at some stage.

Pace and technique will be the two big factors. Eyoma has more of the former and Montsma is ahead on the latter but both are reasonable.

Montsma is a little older but both have head room to learn and may play at PL level.

Far too early to say with Roughan. Physicality and ok technique have been apparent so far. It remains to be seen how much pace he has but at 17 he has the most time on his side to bloom. To coin a former manager 'he can be anything he wants to be'.

Jorge Grant possibly lacks a yard of pace and physical strength to make it to PL but certainly there's a Championship player in there.

Harry Anderson has come on leaps and bounds under the tutelage of MA but it remains to be seen how much more rapid progression he can maintain. As an all round package now though, I'm sure he could hold his own in The Championship.

Most potential for the top is MA for me. So long as we keep him and Jez George happy we will continue to rise. Of the players Palmer most likely to play at the highest level. Of our players the 1st £1m sale is not far away maybe even as soon as January take your pick from Grant, Anderson, Roughan or Monstma. Ideally no one will be going anywhere in January if we stay up at the top end.

Eyoma wont play higher as a fullback, he may welling the middle. I dont know why, but he just looks a little awkward with ball at feet.
Montsma will likely end up bottom end PL or top end Championship.
Roughan could be anything, as they say of young racehorses. He might well hold a Derby entry as a 1 year old.
The likes of HA, Grant and Palmer are probably solid Championship level at some stage.

Montsma will end up captaining Holland in the World Cup Final.

Maybe Ajax , Feyenoord and PSV have been alerted about Montsmas progress. I wonder if there are other gems in the Dutch second division we could find ?

We should be in a better position than most post-pandemic. We have 3 or 4 players capable of making us £1 million plus (Montsma should be at least £2 mil if he continues this form). Add to this that we probably have a sell on for Harry Toffolo who is one of Huddersfield's best players. If we're still towards the top in January I can't see us selling unless it's big money. Championship football would be worth more than a million for a Montsma or Grant.

It's a different world from that which saw the likes of Trevor Peake, Mick Harford, Tony Cunningham, Glenn Cockerill etc.....play at the highest level in the 80's. Montsma, Roughan, Eyoma, Palmer, Grant, Anderson have that potential from how this seasons started, but the chances of them doing so will probably rest with getting promoted out of the Championship with a team............who know that might even be us

Eyoma is one who I wish we could claim as our own player, think he would make us a lot of money

With the scouting networks at most Dutch sides it is amazing he slipped through the net.

I think they concentrate on South American imports more than their own lower divisions. They expect anyone Dutch who has potential is already at one of the top clubs academies.