Moore | Page 2 | Vital Football

Moore

Sorry Jeff, perhaps I'm being thick, but I fail to understand your post.

In my post I am advocating the use of Windass as a partner to Moore as I believe he has the necessary skills and touch to play off the big man. His movement takes him beyond defenders to make use of the knock downs and create opportunities. If we can get him and Moore singing off the same hymn sheet then we might have a chance to score some goals.

However this is dependant on the rest of the team doing their bit as well in providing the ammunition. We need the likes of Pilkington, Lowe, Massey and Jacobs to be getting around the full backs and crossing the ball into the box, not cutting in at every opportunity and closing the space down. They need to stay wide to give Moore and Windass room to work. Just pumping the ball forward from midfield to Moore means he has his back to goal, and although he may win the ball he then needs the likes of Windass to play off him and take the ball on. I am not saying this tactic doesn't work, but more that it shouldn't be used as our only tactic.

I would also like to see Evans used in a more advanced role as I think he is more effective there, and provides the link necessary between the defensive mids and the forwards. I think he is wasted as a defensive midfield player.

I am not saying that my opinions are right or that the players I have mentioned are the only ones in the squad that could play those roles, I am merely putting forward the views that I feel might benefit the team.
I was just saying Garner could play alongside Moore as a partnership or he could play off Moore but we could still use Windass as a midfielder with either Lowe or Massey on one wing and either Jacobs or Naismith on the other wing. Morsy or Evans could play alongside Windass in the centre of midfield. Pilkington could slot in somewhere off the bench if he's ever fit.
Not much hope of it though with Cook in charge.

I feel sorry for Moore, this lad was banging em in for Barnsley he can't get a bloody sniff here, how is it that recently any decent player that comes to Wigan Athletic immediately turns shite?

I put it down to the tactics deployed and not that we've bought a crock of crap or we've been had off by other clubs!

League one player payed way over the odds again load like him in the lower leagues sorry to say but looks like Barnsley saw us coming same with lowe

So you reckon Cook is getting the best from the likes of Moore and its just that Moore etc are crap?
Its the worst of all worlds for me.
Moore like Jacobs, Byrne and others in our squad is just not good enough for this level.
Cook is compounding this by not playing to the few strengths he has !

4 goals in 38 championship games

30 goals in 53 league one games for Barnsley suggests at this moment he ain't a championship striker
So you reckon Cook is getting the best from the likes of Moore and its just that Moore etc are crap?

Moore has scored 4 goals in 36ish championship games 1 in 9 games

Garner on other hand has scored 24 goals in 108

1 in five games

4 goals in 38 championship games

30 goals in 53 league one games for Barnsley suggests at this moment he ain't a championship striker

Moore has scored 4 goals in 36ish championship games 1 in 9 games

Garner on other hand has scored 24 goals in 108

1 in five games

So why is Cook starting Moore over Garner? As in your eyes Cook can not do wrong, why does he opt to start Moore over Garner? Why did Cook want to sign Moore? Not Cooks fault?

How much service has Moore had? He's isolated up front with no runners around him to play off and no sign of a decent cross or through ball for him to get a clear sight of goal.

If we had Van Nistelrooy, Drogba or Owen in their prime they'd be struggling to do any different than Moore under the circumstances.

Maybe Moore isn't up to it but it's impossible to say at the moment as he's constantly in the middle of the opposition half with his back to goal trying to battle for long balls - his job is not currently much different than Dunkleys just much higher up the pitch with the way we currently use him.

If we were playing good football until the final third and we were firing in crosses into dangerous areas and playing through balls and he was missing them up or not even getting there then fair enough but he's had nothing to work with. I'd say he's feeding of scraps but I think that would be exaggerating how much he's had.

You can play long ball very effectively if you have the right method to it, but ours unfortunately is hit and hope and I don't think any striker could do anything with that. He is 6'5 but that doesn't mean he can make our blind hoofs work by virtue of his height alone.

Hugill has 5 goals for QPR and is one of the leagues top scorers but I bet if he came here in the summer instead of Moore he'd have no goals and this thread would be questioning him being good enough.

How much service has Moore had? He's isolated up front with no runners around him to play off and no sign of a decent cross or through ball for him to get a clear sight of goal.

If we had Van Nistelrooy, Drogba or Owen in their prime they'd be struggling to do any different than Moore under the circumstances.

Maybe Moore isn't up to it but it's impossible to say at the moment as he's constantly in the middle of the opposition half with his back to goal trying to battle for long balls - his job is not currently much different than Dunkleys just much higher up the pitch with the way we currently use him.

If we were playing good football until the final third and we were firing in crosses into dangerous areas and playing through balls and he was missing them up or not even getting there then fair enough but he's had nothing to work with. I'd say he's feeding of scraps but I think that would be exaggerating how much he's had.

You can play long ball very effectively if you have the right method to it, but ours unfortunately is hit and hope and I don't think any striker could do anything with that. He is 6'5 but that doesn't mean he can make our blind hoofs work by virtue of his height alone.

Hugill has 5 goals for QPR and is one of the leagues top scorers but I bet if he came here in the summer instead of Moore he'd have no goals and this thread would be questioning him being good enough.
Hugill’s got a bit more about him though for me. Looks a lot more mobile, plus he’s tried and tested at this level. Moore still has a lot to prove.