🚹 Micky Van de Ven - Player Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

🚹 Micky Van de Ven - Player Thread

The question becomes whether we just leave the partnership to blossom or whether we buy another centre half. Imagine if Tapsoba came in now. Does that enhance us or destabilise what we have? In reality, 3 centre halves means 3 partnerships to nurture. Having Davinson around could just give us the chance to get 18 year old Phillips readied to compete.

The question becomes whether we just leave the partnership to blossom or whether we buy another centre half. Imagine if Tapsoba came in now. Does that enhance us or destabilise what we have? In reality, 3 centre halves means 3 partnerships to nurture. Having Davinson around could just give us the chance to get 18 year old Phillips readied to compete.

We are prepping the team for Europe next season. It would be great to go into next season locked and loaded with afully indoctrinated squad.

We are prepping the team for Europe next season. It would be great to go into next season locked and loaded with afully indoctrinated squad.

I agree, but where does that bench strength come from? I watched the U21's yesterday. I was impressed with Phillips. He looks to have it all. He's having to go from 1st team Championship to Spurs U21, even though he's 18.

I would also say that if we had brought on Matthew Craig instead of Ben Davies yesterday, the outcome could have easily been the same. That guys always impresses me. There is also a lot of class about Devine and Donley when they're on the ball.

The riskier choice is Yago Santiago. He's lit up both games this season as we've smashed City and Newcastle. Such composure from the left channel when he took his goals.

I think the natural default is that we need to go into the transfer market. Is that because of our prior idiotic manager choices we're just not used to promoting the U21's when we had injuries and suspensions?

I agree, but where does that bench strength come from? I watched the U21's yesterday. I was impressed with Phillips. He looks to have it all. He's having to go from 1st team Championship to Spurs U21, even though he's 18.

I would also say that if we had brought on Matthew Craig instead of Ben Davies yesterday, the outcome could have easily been the same. That guys always impresses me. There is also a lot of class about Devine and Donley when they're on the ball.

The riskier choice is Yago Santiago. He's lit up both games this season as we've smashed City and Newcastle. Such composure from the left channel when he took his goals.

I think the natural default is that we need to go into the transfer market. Is that because of our prior idiotic manager choices we're just not used to promoting the U21's when we had injuries and suspensions?
I expect him to receive game time. He looks the full package. Early days still.

As a lot of the nippers are being noticed by most on here, I believe Angie is doing the same, he has a trust in them, think over time we will witness this.

In his interview yesterday he mentioned "we had a young team out today, they are learning" even mentioned em..Sarr 19 etc, of 6.

In Angie I believe.

Romero looks very settled next to him. I think this could be a very good partnership. Especially with Udogie and Porro (if he keeps playing like he did against United...)...the back line looks solid.

**plus helps having Biss going all 'Beast - Mode' and Sarr playing lights out!!

I'm sorry it's still early doors yet guys. There's been a vast improvement but against a better team we could easily have shipped 2 or 3 goals.
Yes, Steve, I agree it is early doors. I agree we improved greatly. We must remember that they were top four last season and one of the so called ‘big six’.

I know they missed one or two golden chances but that happens to all teams. I know Vicario pulled off some great saves, but that’s what he’s there for.

Maybe, just maybe we played in a manner and style that nullified them and made them look ordinary.

The added positive is that this the first win at home against them for 5 years. When 80 does his match points compared to last season this is a 3 point plus. Let’s enjoy it while we can. We all know there will be ups and downs without unnecessarily taking the gloss off a well earned victory by the view that they were an inferior team.

Yes, Steve, I agree it is early doors. I agree we improved greatly. We must remember that they were top four last season and one of the so called ‘big six’.

I know they missed one or two golden chances but that happens to all teams. I know Vicario pulled off some great saves, but that’s what he’s there for.

Maybe, just maybe we played in a manner and style that nullified them and made them look ordinary.

The added positive is that this the first win at home against them for 5 years. When 80 does his match points compared to last season this is a 3 point plus. Let’s enjoy it while we can. We all know there will be ups and downs without unnecessarily taking the gloss off a well earned victory by the view that they were an inferior team.
We battered them for six not too long ago & were top of the league for Christmas.

As you can imagine, i'm extremely hesitant to build my hopes up after one good result. The signs are good but let's not get carried away just yet.

We battered them for six not too long ago & were top of the league for Christmas.

As you can imagine, i'm extremely hesitant to build my hopes up after one good result. The signs are good but let's not get carried away just yet.
I remember it well Steve. I think you are right to be cautious and I’m sure that very few will be getting carried away. Big Ange has been consistent in telling us it will take time and it’s a bumpy road. It doesn’t stop us really enjoying the win and it’s style after the dross and drudgery of the past 3 years - notwithstanding the 6 goal stuffed past them in that period.

I don't think it's so much about results right now, more about changing the mindset of that section of the squad that was brainwashed into the negative tactics imposed by our two previous incumbents. I don't think even the most optimistic amongst us could have foreseen how quickly Ange is changing the mindset to bring confidence and positivity to our play.

I don't think it's so much about results right now, more about changing the mindset of that section of the squad that was brainwashed into the negative tactics imposed by our two previous incumbents. I don't think even the most optimistic amongst us could have foreseen how quickly Ange is changing the mindset to bring confidence and positivity to our play.
A glass half full is always gonna feel better than a glass half empty.

I remember it well Steve. I think you are right to be cautious and I’m sure that very few will be getting carried away. Big Ange has been consistent in telling us it will take time and it’s a bumpy road. It doesn’t stop us really enjoying the win and it’s style after the dross and drudgery of the past 3 years - notwithstanding the 6 goal stuffed past them in that period.
It was nice to have a win by playing skillful, fast, attacking football, as a team .... and thoroughly deserving the win. I'd almost forgotten what that was like.

Some are comparing VdV to Verts but what about Alders, below are some stats on him from yesterday.
Maybe more Verts but with pace lol

Touches of ball 85
Passes 72
Pass accurancy 94.4%
Clearances 7
Tackles 2

Not bad ah! for a newbie lol!

The kid will make some mistakes, my only hope is that he learns from them and doesn't let them snowball.

The partnership he is forming with Romero and the others around him are very important. We may be seeing the development of the best CB pairing in the league.
And when they get headhunted by Real/Barca in a year or two we will have Dorrington and Phillips ready to step in!

The kid will make some mistakes, my only hope is that he learns from them and doesn't let them snowball.

The partnership he is forming with Romero and the others around him are very important. We may be seeing the development of the best CB pairing in the league.
Nothing wrong with making mistakes as a youngster. That happens to any young player.

The best make few when they hit their peak. Hopefully he will be that guy when that happens.

Jan wasn't perfect in his early days. Only became consistent in 2015.