Meddling again FA cup now | Page 2 | Vital Football

Meddling again FA cup now

Nothing like a bit of xenophobic bullshit to get the idiots on their keyboards. And of course Sir Gary is the English knight riding to the rescue. The same Gary that believes it's a great model to sign players from higher leagues and pay them more than double what they were earning previously while his club makes enormous losses funded by foreign money.

Just remember that more than 80% of the money that has been injected into Lincoln City over the last 8 years has been through foreigners. Those of our bigoted fans just need to be careful their views don't have adverse consequences for their own club.

I personally was referring to the way the Premier league clubs ride rough shod over our game to benefit their own ends.

The point about Gary Neville and his rich investors at Salford is a point well made, and I can understand how it must be so frustrating losing very good players to much smaller clubs who just happen to have a lot more money.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that we have the best and most forward thinking owners the club has ever had.

My comments about foreign owners not liking it up em was purely aimed at the premier league ones.
Some of these new owner's seem struggle to understand the history of the English game.

I for one am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to our league and cup competition.

However I accept that I am just a fan and don't necessarily realise how much it costs to run a football club effectively and efficiently, and try to make a profit aswell.

What I would say is this.
The big clubs may always have the biggest say on matters, but they should never lose sight of where they have come from in the first place.
This club was able to reignite itself on the back of a successful cup run and for that we as fans will be forever grateful for the impact that had on the fans as much as the club itself.

I am truly, truly sorry if anything I have posted has offended you in any way. I consider you to be the best chairman has ever had, and cannot express how fortunate we are to have you.
The point of my post was to try and highlight the PL trying to make it all about them, the self serving arrogance that they have is beyond belief.
If they are so against replays how about this, all the EFL and Championship clubs in one pot for 3rd round draw, all PL clubs in another. The 1st pot is drawn then the PL pot. This Guarantees a home draw for a non PL club, against a PL club. Keeps the PL clubs from playing wach other, and makes it a lot more interesting. A Caveat to this is that the home drawn club can if they so wish choose to play at the PL ground. If the tie ends in a draw, straight to penalties.

Apologies Gratzimp, but there was nothing you said that was in any way xenophobic. It was not aimed at you at all.

Unfortunately the real twats who don't get it are those who believe that all the problems in English football are caused by foreign owners and Americans in particular. What they don't want to face up to is that the hypercapitalism of the EPL and beyond without protection for the pyramid and heritage of the game was created and encouraged by the English football authorities and successive UK governments. They have simply ended up with many owners that are absolutely appropriate for what they desired.

And unfortunately that is likely to continue.

Clive, I assume my comment is the one you had a problem with. No offence to anyone was intended. I simply don't want to see the "all star" stuff typical of American (maybe yank was a poor choice) sport, and imagine I'm not in the minority there.
I'm certainly not xenophobic. I happily work for a Japanese company and with 2 Japanese lads. We have facilities all over Europe. Right now I'm arranging moving a large chunk of our production facility to Romania and gladly working alongside those people.
Xenophobe, no. Twat, maybe.

I think it is time we all took out heads out of the sand. I am a traditionalist about football as much as any football fan but I am am not naive either.
Anyone who thinks that we would still have the 92 league clubs plus all the lower league clubs still in existence without foreign investment are kidding themselves.
Fans tend to look at the Premier League only without realising that foreign investment keeps the majority of the other clubs going as well.
Let's be perfectly honest without Clive and the rest of the clubs backers including our American Investors we would probably be a part time club playing in National League North or below now.
And I think I am right in thinking , I am sure somebody will correct me if I am not, but wasn't Bury run by British investors and isn't Scunthorpe? Be careful what you wish for.

I'm not sure the beef on this thread is anything to do with foreign investment. Clive stepped in and gave a timely reminder after a comment by one poster. As far as I can see, most everybody else is pretty cheesed off with the greed and constant erosion of the game by the self-centred Premier League as opposed to ownership issues.

Where ownership issues have cropped up previously it is usually linked to specific areas of concern such as sports washing, human rights (e.g. Man City/Newcastle) and financial models (e.g. Man Utd./Arsenal) in addition to general despair at things like the buyer's financial fitness test; all of which are different matters to what is being discussed on here.

Last edited:
Apologies Gratzimp, but there was nothing you said that was in any way xenophobic. It was not aimed at you at all.

Unfortunately the real twats who don't get it are those who believe that all the problems in English football are caused by foreign owners and Americans in particular. What they don't want to face up to is that the hypercapitalism of the EPL and beyond without protection for the pyramid and heritage of the game was created and encouraged by the English football authorities and successive UK governments. They have simply ended up with many owners that are absolutely appropriate for what they desired.

No apologies necessary Clive, I was just concerned it was me. But thank you for being so gracious.

I'm not sure the beef on this thread is anything to do with foreign investment. Clive stepped in and gave a timely reminder after a comment by one poster. As far as I can see, most everybody else is pretty cheesed off with the greed and constant erosion of the game by the self-centred Premier League as opposed to ownership issues.

Where ownership issues have cropped up previously it is usually linked to specific areas of concern such as sports washing, human rights (e.g. Man City/Newcastle) and financial models (e.g. Man Utd./Arsenal) in addition to general despair at things like the buyer's financial fitness test; all of which are different matters to what is being discussed on here.
No the main beef and whole clucks of the thread was to demonstrate how cheesed off I am with the PL trying to fix football to suit their own self interests.
The fact that they want to mess up the oldest cup contest in the world, was the straw that broke the camels back in my opinion. There are no details as yet (I haven't seen any anyway) on what "major overhaul" of the EFL cup they want - note both competitions entirely separate from the PL - but you can be sure it will be to their benefit, and the detriment of the EFL.
As some have eluded to it may mean them using U21 squads, but then I am sure as eggs are eggs they will want to play a full strength squad should they reach the semi or final.

Unfortunately, due to the vast sums of money involved in the PL, I can see them get their own way. As the FA don't want them to not enter their competition, so they will cave in.

I may be wrong, but the majority of fans that were against a European Super League, were fans of the clubs themselves, an AWFUL lot of us L1, L2 and lower end Championship club fans were saying "Go on then Fuck off and don't come back, oh and you can't enter the FA cup either".

Save this post because I reckon in 5 years time the PL will have 10 teams, the top 6 will have broken away for some kind of Super League, and more than 1/2 a dozen clubs will have gone to the wall.

:cry::cry:

I did try and warn you Clive, back in 2021..

I think it is time we all took out heads out of the sand. I am a traditionalist about football as much as any football fan but I am am not naive either.
Anyone who thinks that we would still have the 92 league clubs plus all the lower league clubs still in existence without foreign investment are kidding themselves.
Fans tend to look at the Premier League only without realising that foreign investment keeps the majority of the other clubs going as well.
Let's be perfectly honest without Clive and the rest of the clubs backers including our American Investors we would probably be a part time club playing in National League North or below now.
And I think I am right in thinking , I am sure somebody will correct me if I am not, but wasn't Bury run by British investors and isn't Scunthorpe? Be careful what you wish for.
Yep, there's been plenty of shitehawk conmen doing their level best to ruin our football clubs. George Reynolds, Dave Allen, the shower at Bury, Swann and a load more.

No the main beef and whole clucks of the thread was to demonstrate how cheesed off I am with the PL trying to fix football to suit their own self interests.
The fact that they want to mess up the oldest cup contest in the world, was the straw that broke the camels back in my opinion. There are no details as yet (I haven't seen any anyway) on what "major overhaul" of the EFL cup they want - note both competitions entirely separate from the PL - but you can be sure it will be to their benefit, and the detriment of the EFL.
As some have eluded to it may mean them using U21 squads, but then I am sure as eggs are eggs they will want to play a full strength squad should they reach the semi or final.

Unfortunately, due to the vast sums of money involved in the PL, I can see them get their own way. As the FA don't want them to not enter their competition, so they will cave in.

I may be wrong, but the majority of fans that were against a European Super League, were fans of the clubs themselves, an AWFUL lot of us L1, L2 and lower end Championship club fans were saying "Go on then Fuck off and don't come back, oh and you can't enter the FA cup either".

Save this post because I reckon in 5 years time the PL will have 10 teams, the top 6 will have broken away for some kind of Super League, and more than 1/2 a dozen clubs will have gone to the wall.

:cry::cry:

To be fair we should separate the PL itself and the clubs from their homegrown fans. After all the (majority) of fans of those clubs (here and in Italy, France etc.) were against the ESL as soon as it was announced and if they hadn't been then the rest of the PL/levels below would have had no effect at all on things and we would now be in a different place.

That the hypocritical nature of being against that but in favour of other things that destroy the pyramid in this country is a different issue. Same fans different outcome there.

Reality of the ESL was a big NO from the big clubs fans vs an emerging markets (US, Asia etc) non understanding of what the problem was. As a reddit and twitter reader there were a lot of threads from these regions not understanding why it was a problem at all. After all what could be wrong about a league with "the best" 18 clubs in Europe playing in it?

It will come eventually because money dictates. There will come a time when they decide the $$ of worldwide revenue is much more important that a few traditions or restless natives.

The league cup has been a joke for at least 20 years if not more with Wenger and Ferguson putting out their reserves even back then. Back then the PL was not as competitive as now and these 2 would regularly put out their reserve sides for a PL game prior to European games. So since the CL went to not being just Champions and a "celebration of the best teams from the top countries" our big clubs have not only demeaned the League Cup, that has extended to the FA Cup and were it not for the power of the PL brand that has meant the early PL 2 club dominance has (re)turned into 6-7 club dominance it would have continued to demean the "top" league itself. I say (returned) because it was always more competitive before the PL but the PL imade the rich clubs richer. Riches that seem to have attracted the wrong sort of people in some cases and ended up hampering those top clubs now with a new breed of owners ready to write huge sums off taking their place at the top of the tree.

One way to preserve the integrity of the FA cup would be to offer the winners a champions League place. They are champions after all, especially when compared to teams who get a cl place when finishing 3rd or 4th in the PL.

The "big" teams would take it seriously then, as would teams that are unlikely to trouble the top half of the pl table.

One way to preserve the integrity of the FA cup would be to offer the winners a champions League place. They are champions after all, especially when compared to teams who get a cl place when finishing 3rd or 4th in the PL.

The "big" teams would take it seriously then, as would teams that are unlikely to trouble the top half of the pl table.

Not sure they would Yarm, can you imagine a Crystal Palace or Brighton taking the place of a Manure or Arsenal? It’s pretty much a closed shop and remember how they turned their nose up at Leicester for daring to take a place off them. They’d never agree to it I’m afraid.

Not sure they would Yarm, can you imagine a Crystal Palace or Brighton taking the place of a Manure or Arsenal? It’s pretty much a closed shop and remember how they turned their nose up at Leicester for daring to take a place off them. They’d never agree to it I’m afraid.

It would also require the Premier League to give one of their CL slots to the FA, I can't ever see that happening.