Max Power Mural Defacing | Page 2 | Vital Football

Max Power Mural Defacing

Wasn't there threats to vandalise the Billy Boston statue by some Neanderthals masquerading as Latics fans?

Jealous bunch of bitter *****.

Without question, this (wigan) towns greatest ever sporting achievement was the FA Cup victory. All made possible by Dave Whelan. In the process he also saved their poxy little club from extinction and allowed them to play in his stadium. They can't handle it. It's a minority sport and always will be. Nothing they achieve, NOTHING, will ever eclipse what our football club achieved under his ownership and the global exposure we received. The only retort they have is to vandalise statues and murals of our success. Utterly pathetic and shameful.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, they are a classless, jealous, bitter, stain of a sports club who should be kicked out onto the dirty streets where they belong. No other tenant would ever get away with this in any form of rental arrangement. But of course we’re Wigan Athletic, a club still run in a Non League fashion behind the scenes by spineless, rugby apologists who as usual will do absolutely nothing about it and bend over backwards to Pollard and co while this defacing and vandalism of OUR stadium continues (and it will continue I’m sure). I hoped that the departure of Uncle Dave and Sharpey would see the end of this arse kissing brigade, but sadly I was mistaken and there are still weeds to be uprooted out of the garden. They know exactly who they are!

Last edited:
Can't get over this UKIP way of thinking about the warriors lot, 'if 1-4 of them are a terrorist, then they all are! Kick em out!'. It's childish and tiring at this point. I doubt little 10 year old Timmy had anything to do with it, but should have to witness his favourite rugby club get kicked out because some prick defaced a mural and people cant get over a feud that occured 2 generations ago. I'm not defending them defacing it, but let's face it, that mural wasn't going to last for over a decade and, as mentioned, is vandalism itself. As for the Whelan statue, a legal tribute to a great man that did great things for the club, I get the outrage, but still blaming thousands because of half a dozen prats is pathetic and petty.

Last edited:
Strange that it should happen yesterday. How long has the statue been up? A couple of years? Whoever did it has probably not been to the DW in all that time, but are first in the queue to buy Wembley and Old Trafford tickets along with this fixture.

Strange that it should happen yesterday. How long has the statue been up? A couple of years? Whoever did it has probably not been to the DW in all that time, but are first in the queue to buy Wembley and Old Trafford tickets along with this fixture.

It's strange to me too, at first I expected it to be another paint job. But it was just the ribbons as far as I'm aware of. I'm grateful it's just that to be honest, expected it to be a lot worse

If it was a fan coming out of the game they'd have done it with thousands of other fans seeing them and i suspect vandals don't like a large audience of witnesses and many of the passer bys would've told them to behave if they were daft enough to do it with a crowd around. So i am suspicious that the damage was done by fans on the way out of the game.

Also how have they managed to bend the ribbons? isnt it solid mental - wouldn't you need tools to do that? So that makes it less likely to be fans spontaniously doing it on the way out of the game.

Chances are that this is someone coming out in the dead of night way after all the rugby fans had gone home - out to make trouble and probaby get a reaction from as many people as possible.

Whelan has made plenty of enemies over the years i'm sure - former employees, people who took offence at his politics, people upset at some of his controversial comments, Orell Rugby Union believe he damaged their club, etc - even some Latics fans don't like Whealn. So we know there are plenty of people who could want to disrespect the Whelans statue - unless we have some evidence it's a Warriors fan we can't blame the Rugby side. And if we do produce evidence it was a Warriors fan then that is on the individual rather than the whole 10k or so fan base who watch the game but haven't damaged private property.

There is even the chance that this is a pure random act of vandalism with not real motive - other than someone wanting to damage a notable landmark of note in the town for the sake of it.

Individuals are responsibile for their own actions, hopefully they'll catch who did it and if they do they'll get punished. But i'm not up for blaming all the Warriors club and fans for it, especially with no evidence. If the shoe was on the other foot and a Latics fan was vandalising something the Warriors held dear I'd condemn that idiot and be very unhappy to be tared with the same brush just because we happen to support the same club.

I think it unlikely that this damage wasn’t caused by someone at last nights game, nonetheless I’m with you on the general sentiment in terms of not castigating thousands because of two or three imbeciles.

I'm at a loss to understand what rivalry there is between the two clubs. Two different sports for goodness sake. Morons on both side but happily well in the minority.

I'm at a loss to understand what rivalry there is between the two clubs. Two different sports for goodness sake. Morons on both side but happily well in the minority.
It’s not well in the minority and it’s growing by the year as kids in the town are growing up and being taught early to support one or the other. My mates young lad (Latics mad thanks to his dad) doesn’t know much about rugby but had asked about Wigan Warriors, going to see a game and getting into it. After Max’s mural got defaced he now hates them and wants to go and watch St Helens instead. Looks like it did some good after all.

As a kid going to High School in the 80s and supporting Latics the rugby fans used to be brutal in there dislike for Latics,(it was almost as if they was insecure). This in itself didnt bother me one bit, I supported a team not because they was best or had the most fans but for different reasons.

It was this reasoning that displayed that all us latics fans at Whitley High (i could probably name them all) was individual thinkers, and least i knew all the players names.

Even then the fans i was exposed to tended to be arrogant and aggressive in the manner they supported their team.

Thats why i have a generalised dislike for their fans, and then therer is Maurice Lyndsey.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a kid going to High School in the 80s and supporting Latics the rugby fans used to be brutal in there dislike for Latics,(it was almost as if they was insecure). This in itself didnt bother me one bit, I supported a team not because they was best or had the most fans but for different reasons.

It was this reasoning that displayed that all us latics fans at Whitley High (i could probably name them all) was individual thinkers, and least i knew all the players names.

Even then the fans i was exposed to tended to be arrogant and aggressive in the manner they supported their team.

Thats why i have a generalised dislike for their fans, and then their is Maurice Lyndsey.
I agree with Craig - who'd have thought it ?

No the wasn't . Just light arted banter

The difference is, Dave Whelan is a nationally known sporting legend and is holding aloft the FA Cup, the single most famous and important Cup in world sport.
He is outside the home of Wigan Athletic, the winners of that Cup in 2013.
It is the biggest sporting achievement this town has ever witnessed and is something a minority regionalised sport like RL could never get anywhere near.
This has caused so much hatred and jealousy in the chubby ranks and they are struggling to come to terms with it, and some will go to extreme lengths to show their jealousy and hatred of Dave Whelan, Wigan Athletic and our miraculous achievements.
Apart from Latics fans being of a better class than the chubsters the main reason that no damage has been caused to the BB statue is because, if truth were told, no-one knows who is his and what the staue depicts.
Lets be be honest, do you think anyone outside Wigan and the M61 corridor has even heard of him. I wouldn't know him if I tripped over him in the street.
Is he a player for WW or their manager? I ain't got a clue.

............ Lets be be honest, do you think anyone outside Wigan and the M61 corridor has even heard of him. I wouldn't know him if I tripped over him in the street.
Is he a player for WW or their manager? I ain't got a clue.

Behave.
Maybe he isn't particularly well known outside the areas you mention........ but you know exactly who he is, otherwise, you wouldn't be so vociferous about it. ?

A legend in Wigan
A legend in rugby
Attends most Tics games (or he used to)
A gentlemen.

Behave.
Maybe he isn't particularly well known outside the areas you mention........ but you know exactly who he is, otherwise, you wouldn't be so vociferous about it. ?

A legend in Wigan
A legend in rugby
Attends most Tics games (or he used to)
A gentlemen.

I grew up in Poolstock and Billy Boston was a neighbour,Always a gentleman who loved all sports and when i bumped into him after the Cup Final he was genuinely ecstatic!A gent and a legend,And thats from a none rugby follower!