Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Shots count suggests a dull 0-0 but it wasnt a bad game between two similar L1 sides currently at upper mid-table standard, well organised and with good defences, who cancelled each other out.

Nothing wrong with that, and a good point under difficult conditions, Skoobs unbeaten in 4 and not yet familiar with the layout of SB.

There's clearly some good coaching going on, attention to detail and a much more committed level of performance across the squad.

Just watched the highlights. Watched the disallowed goal a few times and my view hasn't changed. He fouled Jensen.

Let's just also remember they should have been down to ten. So, you know...

Just watched the highlights. Watched the disallowed goal a few times and my view hasn't changed. He fouled Jensen.

Their winger who ran the ball out then hit a cross after the whistle should have been booked for that under current rules. From the reaction of others, that would gave been his 2nd?

Clear foul on Jensen, the striker drags him back with an arm.

However, Jensen did fumble it - would he have got to it before Sze?

His positioning at corners also needs some attention.

Even their commentators saw that he had been fouled. There wasnt any need for it as I dont think Jensen was going to get to the ball but he might have been in a better position to save it. The ref definitely bottled giving the second yellow.

Even their commentators saw that he had been fouled. There wasnt any need for it as I dont think Jensen was going to get to the ball but he might have been in a better position to save it. The ref definitely bottled giving the second yellow.
I'm pretty sure I also heard them comment on what should have been a second yellow card for kicking the ball away? Can't remember for sure.

Either way, it should have been a second yellow...

Our corners look a bit more dangerous at last, rather than at the other end ! TJ was a bit unlucky. Def foul on our keeper for their 'goal'.

That was a gutsy performance in incredibly gusty conditions. Both sides overhit long diagonals with the ball zipping on. We created more chances, coped with their set pieces and thoroughly deserved the point whilst few Wigan fans would have argued if we had taken all three. Defo a foul on Jensen. Pressed well and moved the ball well in tight spaces, occasionally stretching Wigan, albeit I was willing us to open up more as it posed a real threat.
We’re clearly well organised and well coached. I think we’re in good hands playing Skuball.

Last edited:
I'll take that result. But, I think we are fortunate that goal wasn't given. I'd have been frustrated if that happened to us.

Good point. Excellent tactical performance.

Vale a big upgrade on Makama when he came on, and I’m tempted to say Duffy was better than Danny. If both had started I think we might have edged it.
I think Vale was lively buzzing around but I think Makama did alright. In the first half when we went long at him or into his feet it didn't always stick brilliantly but Hamilton and co were then getting on the second balls and we got the ball in their half to be able to play a bit.

I felt like we had a bit more of the ball and control particularly in the first half when we did that, than in the second when they came back at us a bit more and the game got a tiny bit more stretched especially at the end.

Vale wasnt so much an upgrade on Makama but a different challenge for the Wigan defence. They'd got comfortable against a tiring front 3 then Vale started running different angles and a different physicality, and they found him a handful.

Rasen makes the good point that while Makama didn't necessarily win and retain much directly, we were very good at picking up the resultant second balls, particularly in our best periods in the 1st half - one big change from the Kennedy era.

Not yet read any other posts, but after a s**t journey up, and getting in 3 mins late, saw two very evenly matched sides in a competitive game, and earning a very good point
Likewise but got in 5 minutes before KO. Torrential rain and gale winds over the top the hills there and back, minor accidents, diversions and road closures turned a straight forward away day into a long tough day, abandoned the car in a residential area and used the old home made ‘ Doctor on Call’ sign on the windscreen. Pleased to eventually make it home.
Tough conditions, good well earned point, fortunate with the disallowed goal. Teams negated each other so fair score line. Onto Accy on Tuesday, just hope for calmer, drier, not so frosty weather.

I think Vale was lively buzzing around but I think Makama did alright. In the first half when we went long at him or into his feet it didn't always stick brilliantly but Hamilton and co were then getting on the second balls and we got the ball in their half to be able to play a bit.

I felt like we had a bit more of the ball and control particularly in the first half when we did that, than in the second when they came back at us a bit more and the game got a tiny bit more stretched especially at the end.
I reckon Makama is doing alright too.

Didn't look out of place leading the line away at Wigan in L1 at 19...that's not too bad.

If House were fit, having a fresh Makama to come on with 25 minutes to go, would be a real threat, especially on the counter attack as the game opened up.

Also what part of the pitch do we have possession in. Pretty meaningless if all your possession is in your own half.
There's a name for that data, I want to say field tilt but I don't think that's correct. There's definitely one out there, though - probably one for Gary from SWB because it reads as though he as Wyscout to do some of his articles.

Good point on the road, certainly not to be sniffed at with Wigan winning 6 of their 9 home games prior to kick off.

Definite foul on Jenson.

Highest amount of away games in the league for us now (by four in some cases!) and second least home games.