Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights

I'll never have a go at a Villa fan for supporting one of our players but come on... You said it yourself halfway through that he offers nothing creatively or in front of goal. Matt Targett has a creative threat, he's got a great eye for a pass or a cross and he can defend. Neil Taylor can defend and he seems like a good lad so it's nice to have him in the squad, but he is not a premier league starting left back. He's actually the worst left back starting in the league that i can think of right now.
He's a left back, not a left winger.
Your evidence of Matt Targett, in a Villa shirt, doing all the things you say he does comes from where exactly? Pre-season or 60 minutes at Crewe?

Taylor not offering anything in attack? He's a very neat passer and when those around him are prepared to play their part in attack then he does as well. If he ever gets to an actual shot or a cross he's not very good, but his passes on the ground are fine.

A problem in recent games is that our left wingers (El Ghazi or Trezeguet) haven't been linking well with Taylor and others, so our attacks down the left have fizzled. Also, they don't do defensive very well. But things can improve.

I'll never have a go at a Villa fan for supporting one of our players but come on... You said it yourself halfway through that he offers nothing creatively or in front of goal. Matt Targett has a creative threat, he's got a great eye for a pass or a cross and he can defend. Neil Taylor can defend and he seems like a good lad so it's nice to have him in the squad, but he is not a premier league starting left back. He's actually the worst left back starting in the league that i can think of right now.
Yet we have found no one better than him...and spent an awful lot of money in the process. Talking of which I see on bbc midlands today that the premier league are looking into the sale of VP to our owners. ..FFP rules etc. Just what we need at the moment....

Yet we have found no one better than him...and spent an awful lot of money in the process. Talking of which I see on bbc midlands today that the premier league are looking into the sale of VP to our owners. ..FFP rules etc. Just what we need at the moment....

I refer you to our FFP expert in the other clubs news thread.

Think we should ask Man City for the name of their solicitor. They got away with everything. Or do we have to grease a few palms. :censored::oops:

He's a left back, not a left winger.
Your evidence of Matt Targett, in a Villa shirt, doing all the things you say he does comes from where exactly? Pre-season or 60 minutes at Crewe?
Watching him for Southampton actually. Very decent player. Taylor isn't a scapegoat, he's just not good enough. Neither is Hourihane, he's just not a defensive midfielder.

Neither is Hourihane, he's just not a defensive midfielder.

No he isn't a defensive midfielder. Steve Bruce thought he was, but he was mistaken. And since then, Hourihane has been pigeon-holed as such.

But he is good enough in forward areas, creating and assisting, best set-piece delivery at the club.

Douglas and Nakamba are here to shield the back four, which will allow CH to be deployed where he operates best. But I'm not saying he should be in the side ahead of SJM or Jack, as things stand. But why not in the future if others don't perform?

Watching him for Southampton actually. Very decent player. Taylor isn't a scapegoat, he's just not good enough. Neither is Hourihane, he's just not a defensive midfielder.
My question/post wasn't about what he'd done at Southampton (or Hourihane). Obviously he's decent player - that's why we bought him. But he's done nothing, yet, in Villa shirt, to warrant starting over Taylor. Once he gets up to speed/shows the form necessary, then I'm sure Dean Smith will bring him in. He played throughout pre-season and for an hour at Crewe, and I happen to believe that the manager has made the correct decision to give Taylor the nod until such time that Targett proves otherwise. Targett doesn't just waltz into the team because we bought him because he showed promise at Southampton. If he was a world beater he'd have been playing instead of Bertrand. He's a young player that needs to develop, learn his new surroundings etc.
You seem to be taking this discussion very literally, maybe even personally, but my rant was aimed at numerous posters on here that have just decided Taylor isn't good enough and it's their go-to solution every time the team selection is discussed. He's an easy target because he had a poor run of form for 12-18 months and I was one of many, if not all, that agreed we needed an upgrade in that position. However I prefer objective judgement of how a player is currently performing rather than he was shit, therefore he is shit.

No he isn't a defensive midfielder. Steve Bruce thought he was, but he was mistaken. And since then, Hourihane has been pigeon-holed as such.

But he is good enough in forward areas, creating and assisting, best set-piece delivery at the club.

Douglas and Nakamba are here to shield the back four, which will allow CH to be deployed where he operates best. But I'm not saying he should be in the side ahead of SJM or Jack, as things stand. But why not in the future if others don't perform?

Well I've just watched Connor play quite deep for ROI and I thought he was very ordinary in this part of the game. Knocked off the ball, weak in the tackle, trotting around in no man's land, actually turning his back to a challenge at one point.
But his delivery and long range passing was excellent.

You are dead right. He is not a DM so quite rightly isn't playing there ahead of Luiz and probably won't ahead of Marvellous . So he needs to be in the side further forward. And that's why he is not playing because he will not get in ahead of SJM or SJ. This is why he is benched at the moment.

Knock Hourihane all you want but without him we'd still be on Quest at the weekends

True, but different league different standard , different squad with other options in the role he played last year. So ultimately it's now irrelevant what he did last season . This is the here and now.

Well I've just watched Connor play quite deep for ROI and I thought he was very ordinary in this part of the game. Knocked off the ball, weak in the tackle, trotting around in no man's land, actually turning his back to a challenge at one point.
But his delivery and long range passing was excellent.

You are dead right. He is not a DM so quite rightly isn't playing there ahead of Luiz and probably won't ahead of Marvellous . So he needs to be in the side further forward. And that's why he is not playing because he will not get in ahead of SJM or SJ. This is why he is benched at the moment.

Agree with that.

He's not a DM or never will be, but against Switzerland he did well in other areas, passing, a few nice flicks and some very dangerous set-pieces.

I think we can all agree he's a very good option to have on the bench.

Given the issues all over the park its fair to say no one player is a problem. 99% of us would love Targett to show his quality and oust Taylor but the lad is clearly still adapting and I believe just got injured.

As a fullback you'd love him to be a bit more dynamic but ultimately he hasnt set one foot wrong. He has been solid and dependable at the back and retains possession fairly well. The issue for Taylor is really whats happening infront of him. Trez was a major problem against Palace switched off so many times and didnt track back and help Taylor out.

That started a chain of problems for all the flack and inabilities of El Ghazi at least he isnt a liability. These problems caused Douglas to be all over the shop trying to help out both Fred and Taylor. Eventually this dragged McGinn and Grealish back and isolated Wesley because both Jota and Trez are not supporting the fullbacks. Jota doesnt quiet have the athleticism and Trez I hope just needs to learn his role.

For now I dont think Trez and Jota can play in the same team with only one man holding. Hause and Marv might have to step in for a while if those two are our first choices. Switching Grealish to a wider position and bringing in Marv beside McGinn to try and run teams into the ground is something else that could work. 3 lads in the middle with decent engines, good on the ball and like tackling. Not ideal but might be necessary if we continue to misfire and struggle to get out the pitch.

Ah so picking out the weakest players is scapegoating? I always thought it was picking on a mistake like Jack our best player getting robbed on the edge of the box against Spurs or Douglas dummying a ball against Bournemouth?

So point out a player's consistent weaknesses is scapegoating, I must remember all Villa players are Messi and we should never comment on anything but their strengths even if those strengths as overwhelmed by their weaknesses.

So the route forwards is fingers in the ears and la la la