MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home . | Page 14 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home .

Richarlison has played 22 games, scored 9, 3 assists in all competitions.
On target for 15 or so for the season. With others significantly contributing to our scoring, throughout the team, we look well placed. Is there such a desperate urgency to get in a ‘recognised’ striker at big money who may not perform in the PL. My goodness we’ve seen a few of them over the years none of which have lived up to hype and expectation. We also don’t know how the likes of Scarlett, Veliz or Lankshear will turn out given our thrust towards developing strong young talent. We have a real good future ahead. COYS.

On target for 15 or so for the season. With others significantly contributing to our scoring, throughout the team, we look well placed. Is there such a desperate urgency to get in a ‘recognised’ striker at big money who may not perform in the PL. My goodness we’ve seen a few of them over the years none of which have lived up to hype and expectation. We also don’t know how the likes of Scarlett, Veliz or Lankshear will turn out given our thrust towards developing strong young talent. We have a real good future ahead. COYS.
There are not many top strikers around these days. I doubt we could get better than Son, playing off the shoulder with Maddison threading them through balls.

Tony, Vlahovic aside I don't see who else we could get that would improve us.

Now wingers, IMO we can upgrade every winger we have in the summer. Plenty of them around as well.

It will be interesting to see how he performs at Goodison. inhibited or inspired?
I'm sure he'll be 100%. He had no qualms about scoring or celebrating his goal against them a few weeks back. It's how he plays.

Richarlison still has a really good relationship with the Everton fans. Did you see the clip a few weeks ago at the end of the Everton game? He went over to them and they all applauded him even though they had just lost and he scored against them.

The thing is they never wanted him to leave and Everton wouldn't have sold him if they didn't have such dire financial problems.

Playing the way we do we will always concede goals. We could have the best defenders in the world, we would still concede.

It's entertaining for sure, just don't see this approach as a long term solution.

When everyone is fit we should keep possession better though, which will help.

Poch was like this for his first few seasons, he then finally adapted when we finished 2nd.
That's the key though: keeping possession.

I think Ange would bridle at the notion that his system is based on 'we'll score more than you' and defence isn't important.

What his system does do though is put a premium on retaining possession. It's a very high risk approach and as, we've seen, when players lose possession cheaply it leaves us horribly exposed.

You need all eleven players to have good passing and ball control skills. The problem for us right now is that he has never had those eleven players and he's continued playing that way irrespective. Going forward I expect that to change.

In the meantime we're 4th in the table. Most of the other teams have issues of one sort or another. At least we can say we're just starting out on our journey with Ange.

Playing the way we do we will always concede goals. We could have the best defenders in the world, we would still concede.

It's entertaining for sure, just don't see this approach as a long term solution.

When everyone is fit we should keep possession better though, which will help.

Poch was like this for his first few seasons, he then finally adapted when we finished 2nd.
Ange comes across more stubborn than mopo, not sure he will change.

I haven’t checked but I’m sure I heard or read somewhere that he has scored 7 goals in his last 7 games. If so I’m not sure we can expect more, as his work rate for the team’s benefit is phenomenal.
Your right there s54, it is 7 in 7, at that rate maybe 20 gls by him, note also no pens in that total.

It has/was suggested Romero playing in front, DM, of Dragon n Van, this has been said/suggested ever since Dragon signed, that system would/could result in 3 CBS at the back, thus for me a bloody good idea, over to you Ange, ave a think about it. COYS

I think that to win titles you need a prolific goal scorer or a watertight defence, preferably both but that is the compromise we all strive for. Angeball needs the goals so we must find or develop an elite striker to reach the next level. Unfortunately they are thin on the ground or have limited longevity. We wasted that potential when we had it, mores the pity.

I think that to win titles you need a prolific goal scorer or a watertight defence, preferably both but that is the compromise we all strive for. Angeball needs the goals so we must find or develop an elite striker to reach the next level. Unfortunately they are thin on the ground or have limited longevity. We wasted that potential when we had it, mores the pity.
You have been clear in your views LT and I fully understand and respect them! Whilst a prolific goal scorer is the ideal, provided it is not all about him, the different approach of sharing the goals around seems to have worked for Man City pre Harland and Liverpool, notwithstanding Salah who this season is running at a similar rate to Son.
So I agree re the defence but am accepting of the policy to share the goals around. This is in the hope that we may be developing our own elite striker again. Here hoping. 🙏

Richarlison has played 22 games, scored 9, 3 assists in all competitions.

and that's a harsh way of looking at his stats.

He's actually played 1173 mins and got 9 goals and 3 assists. That's the equivalent of about 13 full games with 12 goal contributions.

Because of the pre-op injury I think his stats were way skewed. He was either late sub or subbed early.

I'm wondering whether there is a case to move either Sonny or Werner over to the right at some stage. Play all 3 of them.

He's actually played 1173 mins and got 9 goals and 3 assists. That's the equivalent of about 13 full games with 12 goal contributions.

Because of the pre-op injury I think his stats were way skewed. He was either late sub or subbed early.

I'm wondering whether there is a case to move either Sonny or Werner over to the right at some stage. Play all 3 of them.
Exactly when you go deeper the stats are actually better as you have said.

Can we win a title with Richarlison as our main CF? Will be interesting finding out when everyone is fit.

Fingers crossed we have another 10 games unbeaten. If we can, you never know what might happen.

I was wondering just that when Sonny returns.

Being genuinely two-footed there's no reason why Son shouldn't be equally as effective starting on the right as the left but on the rare occasions he has started on the right he's been fairly ineffective. From my memory anyway.

The same should apply to Werner although hasn't he nearly always started on the left or centrally in his career?

On form alone a combination of those three looks our best forward line right now.

With regards to Richi i just see a player who is finally getting a chance. I really dont think he has had anything remotely resembling a chance until now. When HK was at the club it was insulting to Richi to even mention his scoring record when all he was getting was 5 mins here and there. Sitting on the bench waiting to be gifted the odd crumb. When he did get on he was playing with the 'extras' who were brought on to eat up time and either unable or unwilling to bust a gut to help him.

Then we find out he had a long term injury which reduced his capacity to play at 100%. Even a 5% limiting factor is enough to reduce his performance levels. When we also find that he is having mental issues too we start to wonder what the fcuk was the club doing not pulling him away and getting him right.

The lad is a warrior. He is unpopular because he is so fcking annoying to play against. He doesnt go on the pitch to make friends, he goes on the pitch to win and his team mates are starting to wake up to that. Harry Kane went on the pitch to score goals for himself. Richi goes on the pitch to help the team win. Whatever it takes.

He isnt world class but he improves our team and if he can give us 15-20 goals a season with all the other stuff i am happy with that. We can win titles with that as long as the rest of the team are contributing.

Keep building this lads confidence up because he has not gotten anywhere near his ceiling imo.

Wow - a little harsh to relegate Richi to the same donkey status as Sissoko !!!

There is one massive difference between them. Richi "enables" our team with his head and his heart. Sissoko used to "disable" the team as he only had a heart. He was the scarecrow in the cast, if you know what I mean. He would leave massive holes behind him as he recklessly run where he felt like. Most of our opposition knew that would mostly getting in the way on our right wing. That left Eriksen and Winksy doing Sissoko's water carrying. Crazy when you think about it.

I do agree about Bents though. It's a little worrying. When do we start to think that he may not recover that pace and stamina he had to burn? What he needs is Biss and Bents back. He can then go back to rebuilding himself at the right pace.
LOL. Maybe I was a wee bit harsh on the lad with the Sissoko comparison, but as Richi cost an arm and a leg, I will stand by asking you if you found the vibe around him similar. Genuinely curious. I am all for giving him a chance because, as RD said in an earlier post, there seems to be a dearth of decent strikers on the market right now and who doesn't love an underdog story, right!.

As for Bents, you are scaring me, dude! I know whenever I came back from injury, adrenaline and that feel good factor of returning can initial get you through, but you are always gonna have a wall or two to navigate on your comeback trail.
I'm hopeful that's all it is, but so many times we've seen the loss of half a yard when a competitor comes back from a serious lay off. I hope you are wrong about this, Mutters, because I still believe we are yet to see the best of him in a Spurs shirt.

The most important thing until we get our squad back is the 3 points. Once again we had just enough quality to beat a very much inferior team. Every player had good and bad moments which makes us unpredictable but allows optimism that improvements can be made. I would give Kulu a wellington boot to wear on his left to force him to use his right for one thing. Much as I covet an x factor striker, it is pleasing to see the real Richarlison start to emerge and realistically we aren't going to find a better replacement anytime soon. He just needs to add some spectacular goals to the six yarders he's getting but easier said than done. Pity he was just off target with one great shot.
Just what the doctor ordered, take a bow Richie.

7months in charge, Aussie Angie (y)

Slowly but surely we are getting there! (y)

We/some can gripe about this that, he/they are ?, but this young team is growing and learning just as much as AA is, simples! COYS