MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home . | Page 13 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home .

Well I made a rare visit last night with my son and daughter and thankfully we won as with tickets, train travel and food it’s pretty close to costing £450 to attend a match from up here in sunny Lincolnshire! Just for interest it was amazing when catching the 11.33pm train back to Leeds how many Spurs supporters were on board and the train itself was completely full with people standing. Whilst a great number of Spurs fans departed at Peterborough it’s pretty amazing how many fans were travelling from Yorkshire and other northern counties.

Anyway many others have summed up the match quite well so difficult to add something new but, after admiring Brentford’s achievements previously, I absolutely despised their tactics and approach to last nights game. Once they gained the lead things just got worse by the minute and the referee literally lost control. Now that bastard lives in a village about ten minutes from my house and I know where he goes for a beer and I’m sorely tempted to pop over and throttle him. The application of the “new rules” lasted how many weeks? Professional fouls and time wasting completely unpunished pathetic.

Back to the game and yes first half we were too narrow and too slow getting the ball forward and just allowed Brentford time to get 8 men back in the box and make it nigh on impossible to create a clear chance. Being there prevented seeing if Richi’s goal should have been allowed and his other effort, which looked in from my seat!, only attacking excitement we got as we continually overpassed around their box, didn’t have enough cracks at goal despite numerous half chances to do so and failed to get enough men in the box on those rare occasions a wide player did get a cross in.

Looked like being a miserable trip until that great 20 minute spell, why didn’t Kulu bury that pretty straightforward chance on his right peg to make it four? As for Udogie’s back pass I can only assume Toney had been down injured and got back up just as the pass went back hence he never saw him, who knows!!

Being there live I really appreciated the work rate of Richi which really is phenomenal and so pleased he scored but the way he scuffed it home probably shows why he’s not prolific in front of goal. Hoj, in my opinion played really well after coming on yes he makes mistakes but thought he added something that wasn’t evident first half. Romero had great second half and we at last moved the ball much more quickly and used the wings to great effect.

My concerns, like others, leaving these massive gaps behind both full backs which places such a workload on Romero and VDV and does leave us very vulnerable. I’m all for Ange ball but a couple of tweaks here and there wouldn’t go a miss with my heart rate!! Going forward was great for 20 minutes but for the remainder was just too slow and obvious balls to our wide players is too often ignored. Kulu had one of his shockers, demonstrated by his total inability to waste time effectively at the end of the game.

Apologies for going on at length but don’t get down too often so need to unload my excitement and ultimately we won so all ended well as I got into bed at 2.00am.
Brilliant post Skelly … glad you had a great day , if a tadge expensive !!!!! Thanks for your input , never worry about waffling on , ……….i never do … !!
Really enjoyed your views , ta mate .

Do you all remember after the final whistle? when Venom and Toney had to be separated.

Well apparently on being interviewed about it, Venom said "Toney was giving me the talk all through the game" and I just said him "I hope you didn't put a bet on the result"
Toney was not happy thus his reaction, if you cannot take it, don't dish it out, lol! :wahey:

Love the one liners, COYS

Anyway many others have summed up the match quite well so difficult to add something new but, after admiring Brentford’s achievements previously, I absolutely despised their tactics and approach to last nights game. Once they gained the lead things just got worse by the minute and the referee literally lost control. Now that bastard lives in a village about ten minutes from my house and I know where he goes for a beer and I’m sorely tempted to pop over and throttle him. The application of the “new rules” lasted how many weeks? Professional fouls and time wasting completely unpunished pathetic.
😂 Give him some for the rest of us too, Skelly!

I've said many times recently that we become a much better team when we upgrade the forward line. Richi fits into this category. He was pretty decent tonight, but lacked any x-factor. Kulu looked so wrong on the right side in the first half whereas Werner was our best attacking outlet. Madds was neat and tidy, but way too predictable. That quartet isn't winning any trophies.

Saying that, what was totally broken behind them was the Bents / Skipp partnership. No platform to build an attacking upon. Skipp isn't up to this level, whereas I can't believe Bents was anywhere near fully fit. Where has that lightning pace gone? He looked half fit and I was happy to hear he had been subbed.

Ironically, our best midfielder tonight was Hojbjerg.
I was wondering if Richi's reception was akin to the likes of Sissoko when he had a good run in the team, almost cult status that gets fans giddy when a poor player has a good spell.

I thought Bents looked off the pace too, and watched him twice react angrily to Brentford's physicality. It could be a mixture of trying to get back to full match status while being cautious of picking up another knock. I can't blame him on the latter after the year he has had.

Glad your unbeaten run at the New Lane continues!

Well I made a rare visit last night with my son and daughter and thankfully we won as with tickets, train travel and food it’s pretty close to costing £450 to attend a match from up here in sunny Lincolnshire! Just for interest it was amazing when catching the 11.33pm train back to Leeds how many Spurs supporters were on board and the train itself was completely full with people standing. Whilst a great number of Spurs fans departed at Peterborough it’s pretty amazing how many fans were travelling from Yorkshire and other northern counties.

Back to the game and yes first half we were too narrow and too slow getting the ball forward and just allowed Brentford time to get 8 men back in the box and make it nigh on impossible to create a clear chance. Being there prevented seeing if Richi’s goal should have been allowed and his other effort, which looked in from my seat!, only attacking excitement we got as we continually overpassed around their box, didn’t have enough cracks at goal despite numerous half chances to do so and failed to get enough men in the box on those rare occasions a wide player did get a cross in.

Looked like being a miserable trip until that great 20 minute spell, why didn’t Kulu bury that pretty straightforward chance on his right peg to make it four? As for Udogie’s back pass I can only assume Toney had been down injured and got back up just as the pass went back hence he never saw him, who knows!!

Being there live I really appreciated the work rate of Richi which really is phenomenal and so pleased he scored but the way he scuffed it home probably shows why he’s not prolific in front of goal. Hoj, in my opinion played really well after coming on yes he makes mistakes but thought he added something that wasn’t evident first half. Romero had great second half and we at last moved the ball much more quickly and used the wings to great effect.

My concerns, like others, leaving these massive gaps behind both full backs which places such a workload on Romero and VDV and does leave us very vulnerable. I’m all for Ange ball but a couple of tweaks here and there wouldn’t go a miss with my heart rate!! Going forward was great for 20 minutes but for the remainder was just too slow and obvious balls to our wide players is too often ignored. Kulu had one of his shockers, demonstrated by his total inability to waste time effectively at the end of the game.

Apologies for going on at length but don’t get down too often so need to unload my excitement and ultimately we won so all ended well as I got into bed at 2.00am.
Great write up. Well done for making the effort. I was forced to miss being there last night, and almost felt depressed at not being there!

I swear, I want to see Romero pushed forward and his place taken by Drago; I think it really could be the key to unlocking our huge potential; he could truly be the defensive 'screener' for the defence we are currently missing and also the one to springboard out attacks, plus he's great in transition.

And I second/third that sentiment of what you need to do to that ref. We await an update from you in due course!!

I was wondering if Richi's reception was akin to the likes of Sissoko when he had a good run in the team, almost cult status that gets fans giddy when a poor player has a good spell.

I thought Bents looked off the pace too, and watched him twice react angrily to Brentford's physicality. It could be a mixture of trying to get back to full match status while being cautious of picking up another knock. I can't blame him on the latter after the year he has had.

Glad your unbeaten run at the New Lane continues!

Wow - a little harsh to relegate Richi to the same donkey status as Sissoko !!!

There is one massive difference between them. Richi "enables" our team with his head and his heart. Sissoko used to "disable" the team as he only had a heart. He was the scarecrow in the cast, if you know what I mean. He would leave massive holes behind him as he recklessly run where he felt like. Most of our opposition knew that would mostly getting in the way on our right wing. That left Eriksen and Winksy doing Sissoko's water carrying. Crazy when you think about it.

I do agree about Bents though. It's a little worrying. When do we start to think that he may not recover that pace and stamina he had to burn? What he needs is Biss and Bents back. He can then go back to rebuilding himself at the right pace.

A naive disjointed performance here. Some good moments but Ange definitely needs to start upgrading his man management skills.

This we will just score more than you attitude will become very tiring at some point.

I was disappointed with the lack of leadership than anything else.

Udo was targeted for the first time this season by Frank. He knew his first touch is suspect, and timed the press on him superbly. Top coaching.

Kulu was shocking as well.

Plenty of work to do.

Agreed with this, there will be a point next season if he doesn't change approach slight and on a game by game basis we will be very easy to play against.

We've won the last few, but we have been outplayed by Brentford/Everton/Bournemouth for Large chunks of games in the league.

Brentford should have been out of sight by half time.

I couldn't believe what I was watching in the last 5-10 minutes, it's so dumb, the basics of defending are not there, Vicario saved our bacon again.

A naive disjointed performance here. Some good moments but Ange definitely needs to start upgrading his man management skills.

This we will just score more than you attitude will become very tiring at some point.

I was disappointed with the lack of leadership than anything else.

Udo was targeted for the first time this season by Frank. He knew his first touch is suspect, and timed the press on him superbly. Top coaching.

Kulu was shocking as well.

Plenty of work to do.
100%

The only thing that I’d add is that the two goals we conceded were individual errors. As the season goes on I hope this improves.

That said, there was a good few heart in mouth moments in the game aswell and we could have and maybe should have conceded 4 or 5.

Frank is a very good coach and set his team up superbly.

Do you all remember after the final whistle? when Venom and Toney had to be separated.

Well apparently on being interviewed about it, Venom said "Toney was giving me the talk all through the game" and I just said him "I hope you didn't put a bet on the result"
Toney was not happy thus his reaction, if you cannot take it, don't dish it out, lol! :wahey:

Love the one liners, COYS
I love this boy.

He leaves it all out there.

For the first time since he joined the club Richarlison is playing like he believes he belongs in a Spurs shirt.

There's a confidence about him now - almost maturity - and the players and fans seem to be warming to him.

Thankfully he's stopped all of that nonsense of falling to the floor in agony at the first contact (or imaginary contact) and instead is using his physique to bully defenders. Ange's influence?

I don't think anyone expects him to be a 20+ a season goalscorer. He doesn't really have technical skills or finishing ability of the best forwards (that we've seen so far) but he's not without his sublime moments either. He just lacks consistency in that area.

Right now though he's offsetting that side of his game with other attributes. He's playing for the team and he's actually playing like a leader.

There's a dearth of quality forwards in his position out there and I think Ange is on record as saying that he's not looking for a like-for-like replacement for Kane anyway. He wants the goals distributed throughout the team.

So, in the short term at least, Richarlison is playing an important role for the team.

For the first time since he joined the club Richarlison is playing like he believes he belongs in a Spurs shirt.

There's a confidence about him now - almost maturity - and the players and fans seem to be warming to him.

Thankfully he's stopped all of that nonsense of falling to the floor in agony at the first contact (or imaginary contact) and instead is using his physique to bully defenders. Ange's influence?

I don't think anyone expects him to be a 20+ a season goalscorer. He doesn't really have technical skills or finishing ability of the best forwards (that we've seen so far) but he's not without his sublime moments either. He just lacks consistency in that area.

Right now though he's offsetting that side of his game with other attributes. He's playing for the team and he's actually playing like a leader.

There's a dearth of quality forwards in his position out there and I think Ange is on record as saying that he's not looking for a like-for-like replacement for Kane anyway. He wants the goals distributed throughout the team.

So, in the short term at least, Richarlison is playing an important role for the team.
He's well on his way to be a cult hero under Ange, there's no reason why he can't provide 20 goal contributions this season.

Considering all of drama he's had, he's turning a corner and becoming a key player now. I'm glad to say that after writing him off, I'm being proven very wrong!

I’m not sure of the last time we had a proper defensive midfielder and a box to box midfielder in tandem .

This would eliminate a lot of the threats we get .

Great write up. Well done for making the effort. I was forced to miss being there last night, and almost felt depressed at not being there!

I swear, I want to see Romero pushed forward and his place taken by Drago; I think it really could be the key to unlocking our huge potential; he could truly be the defensive 'screener' for the defence we are currently missing and also the one to springboard out attacks, plus he's great in transition.

And I second/third that sentiment of what you need to do to that ref. We await an update from you in due course!!
Putting Romero in that defensive Midfield would be a master stroke I think .
VDV and Dragusin are both much better in the air at the back than him , as well.
Sarr , Bents Madds , Biss in any combination around him .

Any chance you could slip a note under Ange’s office door Ex .

100%

The only thing that I’d add is that the two goals we conceded were individual errors. As the season goes on I hope this improves.

That said, there was a good few heart in mouth moments in the game aswell and we could have and maybe should have conceded 4 or 5.

Frank is a very good coach and set his team up superbly.
Playing the way we do we will always concede goals. We could have the best defenders in the world, we would still concede.

It's entertaining for sure, just don't see this approach as a long term solution.

When everyone is fit we should keep possession better though, which will help.

Poch was like this for his first few seasons, he then finally adapted when we finished 2nd.

Putting Romero in that defensive Midfield would be a master stroke I think .
VDV and Dragusin are both much better in the air at the back than him , as well.
Sarr , Bents Madds , Biss in any combination around him .

Any chance you could slip a note under Ange’s office door Ex .
I said when we signed Romero he could be an excellent hybrid CB/DM.

Wouldn't mind him playing RB either.

His work rate is phenomenal. In this system though he must get 15 goals minimum. If he does I don't think we can ask for more, that will be his ceiling.

Thankfully he's stopped all of that nonsense of falling to the floor in agony at the first contact (or imaginary contact) and instead is using his physique to bully defenders. Ange's influence

He's well on his way to be a cult hero under Ange, there's no reason why he can't provide 20 goal contributions this season.

Considering all of drama he's had, he's turning a corner and becoming a key player now. I'm glad to say that after writing him off, I'm being proven very wrong!
It will be interesting to see how he performs at Goodison. inhibited or inspired?

I haven’t checked but I’m sure I heard or read somewhere that he has scored 7 goals in his last 7 games. If so I’m not sure we can expect more, as his work rate for the team’s benefit is phenomenal.