Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs West Bromwich Albion- PL | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs West Bromwich Albion- PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The sun came out when I saw the team selected. To all intents and purposes, with Bergwijn left out, we fielded two extra attackers today, and for the first hour we even saw some entertaining football. Not getting carried away, WBA are a Championship side playing in the Premiership, but if the same positive intent is carried into the Everton and City games it will be a big step in the right direction.

Nothing I have said is untrue. For 7.5 years he runs around a lot and shows the limited end of the spectrum in terms of quality. If you choose to be carried away by that against the mighty WBA, that is your prerogative.
Rich, no one is getting carried away. Firstly, the debate was about today's performance and Lamela stood out and you consider that to be 2%? Secondly, everyone acknowledged it was against a very poor WBA side, but relatively speaking, he is still close to MoTM. Surely you should also acknowledge the difference he made on Thurs off the bench. But of course it is also your prerogative to live in the past.

Last edited:
Nothing I have said is untrue. For 7.5 years he runs around a lot and shows the limited end of the spectrum in terms of quality. If you choose to be carried away by that against the mighty WBA, that is your prerogative.

I agree in principle about Lamella Rich, ,...in the past I alsways referred to him as lameduck but he was, when fit trying to break into a team with the likes of Ericksen (when he wanted to play for us) Dembele, a young keen and performing Dele etc,...i.e we had class creators. I give him credit in the last two games, not because of the past, but because our squad is bereft of gifted creators so when he has played and shows desire and drive to go forward when we have been playing so negatively, then he deserves praise for being the better of a bad bunch in terms of positivity. So well done the lad. He may be unable to complete a move but he at least kniows where the goal is and tries hard to set us up in that area.

I agree in principle about Lamella Rich, ,...in the past I alsways referred to him as lameduck but he was, when fit trying to break into a team with the likes of Ericksen (when he wanted to play for us) Dembele, a young keen and performing Dele etc,...i.e we had class creators. I give him credit in the last two games, not because of the past, but because our squad is bereft of gifted creators so when he has played and shows desire and drive to go forward when we have been playing so negatively, then he deserves praise for being the better of a bad bunch in terms of positivity. So well done the lad. He may be unable to complete a move but he at least kniows where the goal is and tries hard to set us up in that area.
Much better put Greavsie. Agree.

Having not seen them all season, I couldn't believe how bad Baggies were. At least we beat the 11 players was put in front of us for a change. That's more than we did against Fulham and Brighton and a lot of the other lower teams recently.

"I love the compromise of the players" - 3 times in the post match interview from our beloved manager.

No Jose. You were the one that compromised. You started your week with a very tough Tuesday meeting with the chairman. By Tuesday evening you had been made to reconcile with Dele and by the next day Aurier was back in the squad. By Thursday you compromised in the second half as you actually let your players do something different from "low block". You still lost. By the weekend you had to compromise further by playing a different system and allowing the players to express themselves.

So please don't patronise us with your BS. We all know that it is you that is "compromising" right now to save your job.

Its almost like Jose kind of learnt a new word. I don't understand what he means by compromise. I'm not sure he knows either. He can speak many languages and I forgive him if he has confused the word.

Does he mean the players compromised their defensive trait of late and threw caution to the wind and attacked ?

Sorry Rich,have to disagree, how many times has he come on as a sub and given us the energy and passion that we have been lacking,the lad can play but he's been blighted by injuries so I think your criticism,which you are totally entitled to,is a bit unfair.

Its almost like Jose kind of learnt a new word. I don't understand what he means by compromise. I'm not sure he knows either. He can speak many languages and I forgive him if he has confused the word.

Does he mean the players compromised their defensive trait of late and threw caution to the wind and attacked ?

Or did it mean that the players pushed back on him (in a nice way) and he asked them to compromise (in a nice way) their opinions and trust him to change it?

Also, what was the deal with Winks missing out? He wasn't reported as injured.

The best news that came out today was that PEH and Ndombele are starting to build a formidable 2 man pivot. N'dombele's improved mentatlity and physical conditioning has a lot to do with this, but you can clearly see that they are communicating extremely well.

This would have been great news for Dele/GLC as means to prove themselves in the 10 position, but unfortunately both are injured until god knows when.

Lamela could have slotted in the 10, but Moura can't be trusted to defend. Lamela gets all the credit for Aurier's display today. Moura on the other hand did poorly, even though his run on the counter was brilliant.

A healthy squad would have seen Reggie and Dele/GLC play ahead of Davies & Moura, which would have made us that much better, but would have exposed our 2 weak links in CB & RB.

Between Aurier and Dier/Sanchez we seem to be making goal leading mistakes for fun. We need to pray that they can finally have a run of games clear of mistakes to provide stability to the team, or it's all for naught.

Last edited:
Stop referring to (your opinion of) his performances over the last 7.5 years and answer the question right in front of you!
What did you see from Lamela today that doesn’t deserve the praise he is rightfully receiving?
You can’t because you are so blinkered.
I sniffed glue as a child. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Stop referring to (your opinion of) his performances over the last 7.5 years and answer the question right in front of you!
What did you see from Lamela today that doesn’t deserve the praise he is rightfully receiving?
You can’t because you are so blinkered.
Did you sniff glue as a child?
Oooh , you lot are all in line to join me as being “ not worthy “ if you are not careful .

Not going to get too excited by this performance although it was a welcome win.
One thing that is for sure is that PEH and Ndom have to be our central midfield in every game that they are fit. Stick a fit and motivated Dele in front of that and if he can play himself into form then that 3 can be as good as any in the league.

Lamela played very well today and deserves to keep his place.

Eriksen was the standout of 7 signings (inc Lamela), he showed that for several seasons until his last 18 months with us. He was on another level to Lamela, and cost considerably less. Lamela wasn't good enough to compete with the Dane and Alli, that was often evident when introduced. Dembele's job was to initiate into the creators and form an impregnable shield with Wanyama. Yes, Lamela has drive and enthusiasm, but my main point about him; which existed in 2013, & still does today is his lack of quality.

Rich, no one is getting carried away. Firstly, the debate was about today's performance and Lamela stood out and you consider that to be 2%? Secondly, everyone acknowledged it was against a very poor WBA side, but relatively speaking, he is still close to MoTM. Surely you should also acknowledge the difference he made on Thurs off the bench. But of course it is also your prerogative to live in the past.

Living in the past: the 7.5 years is to illustrate a pattern of mediocrity, which I first pointed out in 2013 and it continues to exist. I would describe that as foreseeing the future.

Couldn't agree more. Well said Greavsie.:clap: