Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City

NottyImp - 19/10/2017 10:20

SIMJON - 19/10/2017 10:11

I agree that he works hard, possibly a bit too hard, but i'm struggling to work out if that achieves anything or whether he'd be better as an old fashioned number 9. It's obviously what he's been told to do though, so you certainly can't blame him for it.

The Cowleys are pretty "scientific" in their approach. What Green does get us is regular possession in the opponents half down the channels. from which we can potentially win corners and throw-ins. And while we have the ball, our oppos don't

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowleys have done their sums and decided that, in and of itself, is a good thing.

I can't believe that's the plan. It's all very well running about a lot, but his main function on the pitch is to put the ball in the back of the net. You know -what strikers do. If he doesn't put the ball in the back of the net, I suppose at least you can say he puts in effort, i'll grant you. Better than standing about with hands on hips waiting for the ball. I don't mean to be unkind, and i hope he can start getting some goals, to boost his morale. He can't be tired as he rarely finishes a full 90 minutes. I'm just saying that for all his best efforts he's not seeing enough of the ball, like hardly any, he's not getting in the right places. It's not like he's missing chances, he's not getting any. When Ollie Palmer came on, on Tuesday night, he was very effective.

"It's not like he's missing chances"
Not sure about that?

"When Ollie Palmer came on, on Tuesday night, he was very effective."
They scored the same amount of goals on Tuesday night though?

If you emphasise that many of your goals come from set pieces and you are going to continue with that then your striker winning set pieces seems to fit that strategy?

Croozey - 19/10/2017 15:46

I agree that he works hard, possibly a bit too hard, but i'm struggling to work out if that achieves anything or whether he'd be better as an old fashioned number 9. It's obviously what he's been told to do though, so you certainly can't blame him for it.

The Cowleys are pretty "scientific" in their approach. What Green does get us is regular possession in the opponents half down the channels. from which we can potentially win corners and throw-ins. And while we have the ball, our oppos don't

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowleys have done their sums and decided that, in and of itself, is a good thing.

I can't believe that's the plan. It's all very well running about a lot, but his main function on the pitch is to put the ball in the back of the net. You know -what strikers do. If he doesn't put the ball in the back of the net, I suppose at least you can say he puts in effort, i'll grant you. Better than standing about with hands on hips waiting for the ball. I don't mean to be unkind, and i hope he can start getting some goals, to boost his morale. He can't be tired as he rarely finishes a full 90 minutes. I'm just saying that for all his best efforts he's not seeing enough of the ball, like hardly any, he's not getting in the right places. It's not like he's missing chances, he's not getting any. When Ollie Palmer came on, on Tuesday night, he was very effective.

Modern football is machine football. Strikers aren't necessarily there to score goals.

Roy of the rovers is dead, hadn't you heard? :pointy:

Croozey your original post on this subject was matt green not good enough , that was your opionion of which your fully entitled but your in a minority of 1 . :thumb:

NottyImp - 19/10/2017 16:18

Modern football is machine football. Strikers aren't necessarily there to score goals.

Roy Race dead? No i didn't know that. Is that really true? :no way:

Croozey - 19/10/2017 17:04

NottyImp - 19/10/2017 16:18

Roy Race dead? No i didn't know that. Is that really true? :no way:

You watch Melchester sink like a stone now. National League South awaits (or is it North?).

Croozey - 19/10/2017 07:46

his main function on the pitch is to put the ball in the back of the net. You know -what strikers do.

I think that's a slightly old-fashioned view. The main function is for the team to score more goals than the opposition, something we have become quite good at. While he is contributing to that main function (which I think he is) he is worth his place in the side.