Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City

Good to see JMD making a positive contribution, just hope it restores his confidence , there is a good player in there. UTI.

Some differing reactions to us from Swindon fans:

The good:
"We could really do with a Bostwick - was excellent last season against us and again today."

"I was quite impressed with Lincoln, in the context of Division 4 anyway. Organised, big, strong and did whatever they could to gain advantage."

"Lincoln looked well solid but got away with few scares…"

The bad:
"Lincoln were terrible and losing to them is pretty embarrassing."

"Another stunning display of abject mediocrity by 22 players paid to play for a living."

Despite the few having reservations about Bostwick, he always gets a mention on opposition forums after games.

I must say I thought it was a thoroughly decent away performance and the Swindon Town fans we were talking to walking away after the game were nothing but complimentary about us. They said we were extremely disciplined, hard to break down and could and should have scored more than 1.

Only downside for me was the floodlights! Really need to get them sorted Swindon, great all around the pitch apart from the far end where it appeared there was a shadow across the entire six yard box and the far corner was positively gloomy, we all commented on it!! Really should be better in this day and age, especially when the rest of the pitch was so good.

Luke Imp - 19/10/2017 01:03

Despite the few having reservations about Bostwick, he always gets a mention on opposition forums after games.

I think he's very noticeable on the pitch with the way he looks and the way he puts himself about. I don't think anyone should be questioning if he's any good to be honest, he's clearly a good player. Would just be nice to see one of the central pair getting on the end of things which has happened infrequently but once or twice!

Lincoln a big team, we had Eardley, Woodyard, Arnold, Ginnelly, JMD and Knott playing last night!
Giants!

Was worried about going to this one as it was a late minute decision but so happy I did now what a nice 3 points to get
Also gotta say yes their was a few finger biting chances for them but did they really make vickers into a save.. and I swear that one went in! They didn’t look like they was a playoff contending team tbh but owell 3 points brought home from a long day!
:yehaa: :yehaa:

On those Swindon comments it sounds as though some of them are suffering the usual delusions of a team dropping down a division. They clearly have some talented players who can play but that alone doesn't get you anywhere, especially in League Two.

We were similar back in 1999/2000 - on paper decent enough individuals. On the pitch, sh1te.

Croozey - 17/10/2017 23:17

A good game. Enjoyed it. We looked solid at the back, although there were a few scary moments in the 2nd half. We also got forward and had a few good chances. I would like to see Whitehouse in for Knott, for the starting XI. I don't think Green is good enough. I thought Vickers had a good game, so did Sean Long, Bostwick and Raggett.

Green IS good enough; he just needs a break. JMD finally showed us his deadball capabilities. Really hope he kicks on from tbis.

Another player croozey writing off before his imps career gets going , shake your head man matt green is a good player , dont even think you go to games or maybe have too much ale :glug:

Well if he's good enough how come he consistently isn't scoring goals and consistently isn't playing well?

Croozey - 17/10/2017 23:17
I would like to see Whitehouse in for Knott, for the starting XI. I don't think Green is good enough. .

BBC Radio Wiltshire were pleased and a little surprised to see Billy Knott subbed, that says it all really.

...and yes Green is good enough.

I disagree he isn't playing well. He works tirelessly for the team in a role that is pretty unforgiving. He's lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal, that's all.

MaineRoad_96 - 18/10/2017 09:27

I disagree he isn't playing well. He works tirelessly for the team in a role that is pretty unforgiving. He's lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal, that's all.

Exactly this.

x3.

Bit lazy to make a judgement on his lack of goals without looking at what his actual role is on the pitch.

I agree that he works hard, possibly a bit too hard, but i'm struggling to work out if that achieves anything or whether he'd be better as an old fashioned number 9. It's obviously what he's been told to do though, so you certainly can't blame him for it.

Green has been an excellent acquisition IMO. Deserves far more goals than he gets and has been said above he's clearly lacking in confidence. The amount of work he puts in to each game is astonishing and I'm amazed he's still playing as many minutes as he is. He clearly needs a rest and us missing out on a 4th striker is only making it worse for him.

Does all his running achieve anything? Of course it does! Look how much territory he gains for us when he's pressing defenders. We often see the opposition put it out for a throw in a dangerous position because he's on them so quickly. On top of that he's very strong and is very good at holding the ball up. I just feel a bit sorry for him because he's often isolated with few options.

SIMJON - 19/10/2017 10:11

I agree that he works hard, possibly a bit too hard, but i'm struggling to work out if that achieves anything or whether he'd be better as an old fashioned number 9. It's obviously what he's been told to do though, so you certainly can't blame him for it.

The Cowleys are pretty "scientific" in their approach. What Green does get us is regular possession in the opponents half down the channels. from which we can potentially win corners and throw-ins. And while we have the ball, our oppos don't

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowleys have done their sums and decided that, in and of itself, is a good thing.