Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City

Technically and physically, we were fine first half.

Once Stevenage changed formation and tempo, they just bludgeoned us out of the game. A goal was then always likely, the one we conceded was incredibly, frustratingly bad, at least 2 defenders and Jensen lost where the the ball was, as it rolled rather than pinged around the goal area.

Hopefully Skubala will have learned a lot from that and develop his tactics accordingly. But he'll also learn that in this league there's a range of playing styles to deal with.

You're right, first half we were fine as we weren't put under any pressure. As soon as they changed their approach in the second half we couldn't cope.

You can have all the good intentions to play all the nice football you want but if you can be bullied out of a game physically and you can't defend set pieces you're easy beats.

You go all the way to the top of the tree in this country, Man City, they're physically dominant first and foremost.

Physically isn't just being able to stand your ground against a big bloke, it's being quick, it's being agile, it's stamina. Assets our squad lacks.

It's not all done and gloom clearly. Hopefully MS has the acumen and vision to find a way for this squad to be successful, I think he's got a hell of a job on though given the fact the club have been very clear about the way they want us to play

It's not all done and gloom clearly. Hopefully MS has the acumen and vision to find a way for this squad to be successful, I think he's got a hell of a job on though given the fact the club have been very clear about the way they want us to play

I have to agree with that. Its hard to get out of this league by playing good football without a strong physical presence. We just don't have that physical side, and I'm not sure the board want us to be a direct physical team either.

I lost count of how many times today Smith, Mandroui, Burroughs and especially Vale ended up on the grass after being outmuscled.

If it wasn't for several TJ blocks (best game he has had for some time), a decent Jensen save, and our left post, we could easily have lost that second half 4 or 5 nil.

You're right, first half we were fine as we weren't put under any pressure. As soon as they changed their approach in the second half we couldn't cope.

You can have all the good intentions to play all the nice football you want but if you can be bullied out of a game physically and you can't defend set pieces you're easy beats.

You go all the way to the top of the tree in this country, Man City, they're physically dominant first and foremost.

Physically isn't just being able to stand your ground against a big bloke, it's being quick, it's being agile, it's stamina. Assets our squad lacks.

Results end of.
Anyone want to disagree after that?

Was at the game today and not sure what people mean about us having a significantly better first half. Maybe better than the second but only by a sliver. If it weren't for far too many last gasp clearances we were set to lose that one 3-0. Not pointing fingers per se (especially not at Skubala) but I thought that was a horrid watch. We had nothing on them.

Today was not too bad especially the first half. At least we did attack.Until we learn how to defend set pieces and get the injured players back. I am afraid days like today will continue whoever the coach Is. We have to give the new coach a chance to put his own stamp on the team sort out the set piece issue, get the injured players back and we will be fine.

I'm not an Evans fan, but it has to be agreed that he has a style of play that succeeds at this level, and that he can get players to run through brick walls for him.

He also out coached us at half time with his two substitutions and a change of system that we had absolutely no answer to.
I meant the dark arts
We need to learn a few. Learn to be streetwise.

Teams will have no fear to have a go at us. They'll know we have no forward presence. Vale did ok but what else have we got. Sorry but Adelekun and Makama will not have opposing managers worrying. Mandroiu got a few bits ok but not enough to be having other clubs knocking on the door to buy him for megabucks. Smith playing out of position but for a big player never knocks the other players to the floor. Going to be a tough couple of months and no guarantee that any of the other forwards come into the team and hit the ground running.
Happy with the new managerial appointment and could see what he was trying to do today. Going to have to stick with the team and give them the best support we can.

Some crazy posts on here. Wrong choice manager etc. ffs. I realise we are a results business but it’s 1 game away against a play off challenging team. He has had a few days to work with the players plus he still has several to come back from injury
The major difference I noticed is we played a more attacking style. This provided much more entertainment for us fans than the do not lose mentality
I am certainly looking forward to what he does with a full squad and several weeks with the team
Let’s get rid of this negativity and get behind the lads

To take any positives from today it would have at least been an eye-opener for Skubala.The goal we conceded was so similar to many more this season we just cannot defend from corners that needs to be sorted out. Another Jekyl and Hyde performance of two halves. Why can't we put together two decent half's of football? Again that is something else he needs to deal with.

One of the biggest problems he has got which he will really struggle with is lack of forwards imparticulary a lack of physical presence up front. Vale may well be injured anyway but even if he isn't despite him putting plenty of effort in he is just too lightweight. With no real pressure on the opposition defence the ball just keeps coming back at us. I struggle to see how he can sort that out at the moment it will be interesting to see what he can come up with.

But whatever happens he will need time and fans patience to help him through this baptism.

Why is it ? Why has he got the job ? His amazing success at leeds u21 ? That was mark jackson and before him carlos corbean , his 2-2 draw at old trafford ? Way out of his depth i imagine he was the cheap option

"i imagine he was the cheap option"

I cannot believe someone saying that in relation to this board.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s then perhaps. But whether or not you agree with the board's choice of MS, it is totally laughable that you claim MS was chosen because he was a cheap option. That is not how this board works as any sensible supporter who follows the club will know.

That sentence just makes any other comment you make look totally ridiculous, even if you were trying to give your honest opinion on the choice.