Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

A very good point. I overestimated them and underestimated us. I feared a bit of a hiding may have been on the cards prior to kickoff. I'm sure plenty will say they weren't all that but there were two teams on the pitch and it was us that blunted their attacking threat. The discipline and organisation shown is very encouraging and if maintained will be the difference between a comfortable season and relegation scrap.

We had a handful of nice attacking passages in each half but that dried up once Bishop and Adelakun went off, and had no other option than to shore up at the back, which we did emphatically.

I was nervous in the first half with TJ's presence but he was as equally assured as the rest of the back line in the second. That will give him a lot of confidence, which i think he in particular needs to be at his best.

Early days and can only be based on the few matches I've seen of him so far, but Rushworth looks very good indeed. He looks very assured and it was pleasing to see him hold on to most of what came his way. No parrying it out or fumbling. That makes a huge difference in not giving corners away or rebound chances. I never had that same confidence in Griffiths.

There's no getting away from he fact we are very light up top. We have to hope Vernam and Mandroiu will make a difference. And let's hope Scully is just ill, else we'll certainly have to do more shopping. It does worry me he wasn't mentioned post match. I may have missed any pre-match talk of him but no news feels like bad news.

A good day and one which should go a good way to steadying peoples pre-season nerves.

Sounded like exactly the sort of performance needed to go to a tough away fixture and get a point. Tactically aware and astute and pretty much a mistake free game apart from Rushworth's charge for which he made amends..

Sounds like the entitled Pompey lot think they should have done better against a side who they think will struggle this year.........bunch of bankers !
Well done MK and the squad.

A very good point. I overestimated them and underestimated us. I feared a bit of a hiding may have been on the cards prior to kickoff. I'm sure plenty will say they weren't all that but there were two teams on the pitch and it was us that blunted their attacking threat. The discipline and organisation shown is very encouraging and if maintained will be the difference between a comfortable season and relegation scrap.

We had a handful of nice attacking passages in each half but that dried up once Bishop and Adelakun went off, and had no other option than to shore up at the back, which we did emphatically.

I was nervous in the first half with TJ's presence but he was as equally assured as the rest of the back line in the second. That will give him a lot of confidence, which i think he in particular needs to be at his best.

Early days and can only be based on the few matches I've seen of him so far, but Rushworth looks very good indeed. He looks very assured and it was pleasing to see him hold on to most of what came his way. No parrying it out or fumbling. That makes a huge difference in not giving corners away or rebound chances. I never had that same confidence in Griffiths.

There's no getting away from he fact we are very light up top. We have to hope Vernam and Mandroiu will make a difference. And let's hope Scully is just ill, else we'll certainly have to do more shopping. It does worry me he wasn't mentioned post match. I may have missed any pre-match talk of him but no news feels like bad news.

A good day and one which should go a good way to steadying peoples pre-season nerves.
Well they spoke about Scully pre-match so would just have been going over old ground

Typical that Griffiths couldn’t keep a clean for us last season but he keeps one against us. Great point today, well played City.

Not a game for the football purist but a very gritty performance all round. Certainly a point I would have taken at the start and although chances were almost non-existant at both ends, we defended very well and, if we keep that up, we could be a tough nut to crack, away from home.

Brilliant support - was it really only 481? Especially 2nd half, singing non-stop and winding up the Pompey lot - excellent!

UTI

Excellent away performance today- all players including subs put themselves on the line.

First half perhaps gave them too much respect although our high press is evident and does unsettle oppositions (of the few games we've seen it in so far). Not too many chances for either side.

Second half we defended as well but felt TJ and Robson tried to put further forward creating more space- certainly had the ball in the box more often (or it felt like it).

Great away performance against a team which will be top half this season. Solid, resilient and tenacious.

481 Imps made some noise (second half particularly) and it gets noticed as MK has said more than once.

Of interest was MK having his arm around Maguire and then pushing him to the front of the team as they applauded the away end after final whistle- almost as if to say "he's still an Imp so get behind him".

Somehow, I've never got to Fratton Park in 41 years- journey felt almost as bad as Exeter but parking in a school on Milton road for £6 then a 5 min walk to the ground was a cinch. Nice old ground and it is obvious when the crowd really get behind the team, it is impressive. Reminded me of Portman road a bit. Won't be 41 years before I go back (unless of course they, or us, are not L1 next season).

It looks like we've reached a watershed where the Echo don't even bother with match day coverage now.

I actually emailed the Editor of the Echo after the Exeter game complaining about this. I had a very defensive reply from a Steve Wollaston saying the Echo had someone at the game and had published team news prior to the game, a full match report, and manager's comments.

When I told him on the Sunday that there was nothing on the Echo website apart from an old article following the Blackburn friendly, the Exeter articles magically appeared - which Steve said might be due to a "caching" problem.

I have no idea if the same happened today, although I see an article has just appeared with some manager comments from MK and DC.

So, either they are covering LCFC but just don't know how to publish the articles correctly, or have severely cut back their coverage and just don't want to admit it.

I actually emailed the Editor of the Echo after the Exeter game complaining about this. I had a very defensive reply from a Steve Wollaston saying the Echo had someone at the game and had published team news prior to the game, a full match report, and manager's comments.

When I told him on the Sunday that there was nothing on the Echo website apart from an old article following the Blackburn friendly, the Exeter articles magically appeared - which Steve said might be due to a "caching" problem.

I have no idea if the same happened today, although I see an article has just appeared with some manager comments from MK and DC.

So, either they are covering LCFC but just don't know how to publish the articles correctly, or have severely cut back their coverage and just don't want to admit it.
Good for you to proactively contact the Echo. I fear it may be too late but it really is the thin end of the wedge.

It also makes me wonder if they await generic or pooled material and cannot publish until it arrives some time after the games.

They’re just being even more professional and dedicated than last year 🤔🙄😡🤬

Excellent away performance today- all players including subs put themselves on the line.

First half perhaps gave them too much respect although our high press is evident and does unsettle oppositions (of the few games we've seen it in so far). Not too many chances for either side.

Second half we defended as well but felt TJ and Robson tried to put further forward creating more space- certainly had the ball in the box more often (or it felt like it).

Great away performance against a team which will be top half this season. Solid, resilient and tenacious.

481 Imps made some noise (second half particularly) and it gets noticed as MK has said more than once.

Of interest was MK having his arm around Maguire and then pushing him to the front of the team as they applauded the away end after final whistle- almost as if to say "he's still an Imp so get behind him".

Somehow, I've never got to Fratton Park in 41 years- journey felt almost as bad as Exeter but parking in a school on Milton road for £6 then a 5 min walk to the ground was a cinch. Nice old ground and it is obvious when the crowd really get behind the team, it is impressive. Reminded me of Portman road a bit. Won't be 41 years before I go back (unless of course they, or us, are not L1 next season).
I have no problem with Maguire and I don't have a problem with Michael Appleton.Good result today.