Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City | Page 46 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City

This referee must be really incompetent. Having been bought by Peterborough he allows us to take a two goal lead in the first half, including awarding us a penalty when he could have given Peterborough a free kick in the move that led to it.

Assuming he was bought at half time instead he then allows us to get a third without inventing a mysterious infringement. Fortunately for him we stick one in our own net and deflect one into our own goal before, finally, he gets the chance to award a penalty in the 95th minute, despite having several other opportunities as Clarke-Harris was falling over in the box like he was playing in his carpet slippers.

Gross incompetence. If I was McAnthony I'd be witholding the bribe.
Or his incompetence could have been his inability to manufacture Peterborough the point they needed until the 95th minute.
Incompetent and bought. Like I said earlier, that we have to ask says everything about his suitability as a ref.

If anybody can bring up the report from The Cambridge News, it states that Scully went from hero to villain, by giving away the last minute penalty!!!.
So their reporter wasn't even at the match!
It began with 'v' as in 'victim of a diabolical refereeing decision'.

I wonder whether Peterborough will do the decent thing and tell Szmodics to face the press to apologise for a shameful piece of cheating?

The irony for Szmodics is that as a failed Championship player at Bristol City, Peterborough will probably look to replace him along with several others in their team

Or his incompetence could have been his inability to manufacture Peterborough the point they needed until the 95th minute.
Incompetent and bought. Like I said earlier, that we have to ask says everything about his suitability as a ref.

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed and why do so many people think it's any more than just incompetence? It's cost us badly and none of us will probably ever see a decision so poor ever again, but hey, ho, there's no changing it.

It comes to something though when it's all over the rest of football fandom right now with supporters of completely unrelated clubs saying it's the worst they've ever seen too.

Who knows, it may even do us some good.

Slightly off topic but whilst we are on the topic of refs. Im sure i read somewhere their arent many full time refs when you look at the money involved in the game and the fact the game has got so much quicker is this one of the main problems.. only a thought and i could also be mistaken .

Last edited:
Corruption could have occurred at half time which would explain a lot. Including where he found 5 minutes of extra time.
The truth is we will never know if that was incompetence or he was bought. But that we have to ask the question means he should not ref any football games in the EFL again.

Spot on.
And let's not forget that Posh have just upped their turnover by many many millions.
And Barry Fry? Darragh MacAnthony??
Hmmmmmmmm.

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed and why do so many people think it's any more than just incompetence? It's cost us badly and none of us will probably ever see a decision so poor ever again, but hey, ho, there's no changing it.

It comes to something though when it's all over the rest of football fandom right now with supporters of completely unrelated clubs saying it's the worst they've ever seen too.

Who knows, it may even do us some good.

why is it a line that shouldn’t be crossed? Corruption has been rife in sports for decades and certainly in football. Why are we not supposed to speculate the possibility that this has occurred here. I am not saying it has but after seeing that decision I’m bloody curious as are many others.
What is so special about this line?

Of course he’s happy!!! What are you expecting of him?? That’s not the point I’m talking about. From my perspective, when he’s on all 4’s on the ground (immediately after he falls) he’s not appealing.
I only saw one player appeal ?

Ha ha, accepted - not that it needed to be.

To cheer you up @Harry1 here's the worst penalty award I've ever seen, a game I was present at. The score at the time was Elche 1 Real Madrid 1 in the 5th minute of the 3 minutes of stoppage time. The ref, who was standing right next to the players invoived decided that it was arch ****house Pepe who had been fouled. Ronaldo scored the resulting penalty to win the game.

It's the worst I've felt since Huddersfield - but at least it's still game on!

I
why is it a line that shouldn’t be crossed? Corruption has been rife in sports for decades and certainly in football. Why are we not supposed to speculate the possibility that this has occurred here. I am not saying it has but after seeing that decision I’m bloody curious as are many others.
What is so special about this line?

Because if Hopper had scored to make it 4-1 that would be game over for posh, look we didn,t win because of a howler from a referee, he made a mistake.

Of course he’s happy!!! What are you expecting of him?? That’s not the point I’m talking about. From my perspective, when he’s on all 4’s on the ground (immediately after he falls) he’s not appealing.

Fair enough. Don't even know why I'm arguing. Apologies.

Still seething tbh. Not about the chance of automatic, that was always a long shot, but being swindled out of a win over that lot. And making the MacAnthony-Fry-Ferguson 'axis of evil' sweat for a few days.

Slightly off topic but whilst we are on the topic of refs. Im sure i read somewhere their arent many full time fers when you look at the money involved in the game and the fact the game has got so much quicker is this one of the main problems.. only a thought and i could also be mistaken .

I remember Cowley saying when he was here that only the top two divisions are full time and that the rest are part time. Some referees especially in midweek will work full time jobs and drive straight to grounds to referee. Maybe that doesn't apply fully with Saturday games, but if referees were full time the competency should in theory increase. Its a move I would like to see in League One and Two, but probably wont happen