Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City

It’s slightly contradictory how you say we didn’t go two up top but Rowe played well. You can’t have Rhead and Rowe in the 10.

No doubt it’s a conundrum but you have to take one or the other.

I get your point, but I disagree. We can say, and often have done, that we would prefer two up top, but JA played well. I do get what you are saying and totally understand your point....but I do like us playing two up top as with someone feeding it in to Akinde, it does, I believe, make him more threatening.

I think hes been unlucky to be out the team at all... our best midfielder this season.

Tend to agree with you but he does miss out in the height stakes sometimes and gets out muscled, but I do think the mid field competition for places has done him good. A very tricky player a good passer, great shot on him.

All of our central midfielders are different. Pett is the most skilful of all, is very creative and carries a goal threat; however, he is relatively lightweight and not so good defensively. O'Connor is really a combative defensive midfielder who scores the occasional goal from outside the box. O'Hara is the classic box-to-box midfielder, energetic and gets right into the penalty area. Frecklington was like that during his first spell at Lincoln but his ongoing fitness problems prevent it now. His game has become modified, and he largely operates in the centre of the pitch.

That gives us a good range of options depending on the opposition and the match situation. Last night was a great example of that: Mansfield faded badly as an attacking force in the second half and allowed us to replace the more defensive O'Connor with the more attack-minded Pett. That enabled us to dominate the last twenty-five minutes and ultimately paid dividends with an equaliser.

All of our central midfielders are different. Pett is the most skilful of all, is very creative and carries a goal threat; however, he is relatively lightweight and not so good defensively. O'Connor is really a combative defensive midfielder who scores the occasional goal from outside the box. O'Hara is the classic box-to-box midfielder, energetic and gets right into the penalty area. Frecklington was like that during his first spell at Lincoln but his ongoing fitness problems prevent it now. His game has become modified, and he largely operates in the centre of the pitch.

That gives us a good range of options depending on the opposition and the match situation. Last night was a great example of that: Mansfield faded badly as an attacking force in the second half and allowed us to replace the more defensive O'Connor with the more attack-minded Pett. That enabled us to dominate the last twenty-five minutes and ultimately paid dividends with an equaliser.

Fair comment.

Anybody who thinks privatisation is the answer to anything (other than lining the pockets of Tory donors) hasn't been paying attention for the last 40 years.

I am not saying privatise the BBC I am saying scrap it. I am afraid imo it is just a shadow of it's former self. Far too political and intent on following it's own agenda when it should be about providing good programmes that entertain people. It shouldn't be about ramming what they think you should believe down your throat. I have a brain I can think for myself I don't need them telling when, what and how I should think!

I think what you have ably demonstrated here is that Danny and Nicky have put together a very well balanced squad with options all over the park and no deadwood! When you look at someone like Flitcroft I think he just gets in the best players he can but probably doesn't have the masterplan like the one that the Cowleys work to and that is why they will go onto big things (hopefully with us ) and other managers will linger in the lower leagues and get success sometimes more by luck than judgement.

I am not saying privatise the BBC I am saying scrap it. I am afraid imo it is just a shadow of it's former self. Far too political and intent on following it's own agenda when it should be about providing good programmes that entertain people. It shouldn't be about ramming what they think you should believe down your throat. I have a brain I can think for myself I don't need them telling when, what and how I should think!

So when was the BBC at it's peak then Casperimp?

So when was the BBC at it's peak then Casperimp?

I don't think there was ever a peak so to speak but it's gone pretty downhill in the last few years! Why can't they just make decent programmes without it having to include some sort of political or moral overtone? All I want is to be entertained not given a lesson in how and what I should think.

Alias Chair is 5' 2" tall, Tom Pett is 5' 8" and Lionel Messi is 5' 7". All very good players!

It’s up to the individual if they are ‘influenzed’ by the BBC. If anyone is weak minded enough they can be influenzed by anyone. I actually think the BBC is a brilliant organisation and provide top quality drama and brilliant programmes. I confess I may be abit influenzed by Sir David Attenborough and am happy to admit it. Am I influenzed by their political diatribe, not at all, John Pionaar just doesn’t rock my boat.

I don't think there was ever a peak so to speak but it's gone pretty downhill in the last few years! Why can't they just make decent programmes without it having to include some sort of political or moral overtone? All I want is to be entertained not given a lesson in how and what I should think.

You have just proved my point. Very funny series but it finished 10 years ago nearly now :grinning:

Hey look there are still a few good programmes on the BBC I just think on a general level it's gone downhill.

Even Bake Off has gone to Channel 4 now. Although I have to say it's got better since it went there imo :grinning:

Nobody has to watch it! Mind you, you could always watch ITV , the channel that wets it's pants everytime those cheeky 'entertainers Ant and bloody Dec get a show. Dont get me started on Piers Morgan!

Culture is in permanent decline and it has been been ever since the first cave-person painted a design onto a cave-wall. ;)

BTW, if you don't like the BBC and TV generally, go to see some live theatre/music. It's great (although not cheap).