Match Thread: Lincoln v Walsall | Page 3 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln v Walsall

"82' Nearly a hat trick of assists for Ginnelly but Raggett heads over from the corner."

"90' Beevers is brought on for Nathan Arnold to a standing ovation from Sincil Bank."

Enjoyable second half. Weak goal to concede but it acted as a catalyst and got us going. Our second goal was really nicely planned, straight off the training field. Ginnelly and Rhead very good when they came on, and it was nice that Lee Beevers got his moment even if he didn't touch the ball! A decent afternoon's work.

Interesting to hear Eardley dropped to left back second half? Might be a bit of experience to help with habergham missing and then to pressure Long for the right back position.

JT_LCFC - 30/7/2017 09:33

Interesting to hear Eardley dropped to left back second half? Might be a bit of experience to help with habergham missing and then to pressure Long for the right back position.

Bit of versatility certainly wouldn't go amiss.

JT_LCFC - 28/7/2017 18:33

Technically good, comfortable on the ball, good positional sense, talks to younger players, versatile switched from RB to LB after a Briggs went off still looked good

helgy - 29/7/2017 17:42

JT_LCFC - 28/7/2017 18:33

Technically good, comfortable on the ball, good positional sense, talks to younger players, versatile switched from RB to LB after a Briggs went off still looked good

Sounds pretty promising.

Palmer looked better today, but I doubt he'll get 10 in a season. Has he actually had a shot at goal?

Briggs was largely competent at LB and Eardley did just as well at RB. On those performances, both worth a deal as squad players at least, with Eardley probably a starter.

Another enjoyable, competitive friendly. I don't know how strong a team Walsall put out, but we were the better team overall.

Rhead was just a fat lump again. Why do we keep playing him? :pointy:

NottyImp - 30/7/2017 10:01

Palmer looked better today, but I doubt he'll get 10 in a season. Has he actually had a shot at goal?

Briggs was largely competent at LB and Eardley did just as well at RB. On those performances, both worth a deal as squad players at least, with Eardley probably a starter.

Another enjoyable, competitive friendly. I don't know how strong a team Walsall put out, but we were the better team overall.

Rhead was just a fat lump again. Why do we keep playing him? :pointy:

Palmer did miss a penalty in Portugal, so that's one :pointy:

Seen a clip of the Raggett goal, I thought it might have been a clever Rhead block but looks rather more like their defender just fell asleep !

Eardley really impressed me thought he looked really both going forward on the overlap and defending and Briggs looked decent too.
No one had a bad game for us and all played their part. When Rhead, Ginnelly and Anderson came on we appeared to step it up a gear.
Fully deserved the win as apart from their goal they barely had a shot on target.
Overall a very promising showing and the new faces look like their settling in well.
Pity Waterfall and Green didn't play.
Great to see Beevers get the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Eardley is interesting. Played regularly in the Premier League with Blackpool but has suffered from a string of bad injuries since 2013 (two cruciate ligaments, a dislocated shoulder, a calf, and a groin injury to name a few). Joined Northampton in January and, according to the match reports and player ratings in the Northampton Chronicle, played an important part in stabilising the side. Lost his place after missing a game while his partner gave birth and played only once more before being released. Therefore he was not released because he was rubbish. If he can do ok in League One, he would probably make a good squad signing for us if he can stay fit.

He looked very good and would another coup imho if we signed him.
Like you say Phil has played much higher up than div 4 but if looking a rebuilding club he could a lot worse than us with the Cowleys.
Capped 11 times by Wales as well.