Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

We've looked pretty decent going forward, but defensively a weak shambles. Errors all over the place. Midfield needs bulking up for next year.

Not sure there are many of this team I would be interested in keeping for next year.

Bit of a schizophrenic half that. Defensively sloppy at times but also played some pretty tidy football. We are struggling with the physicality of Wigan but some good movement has opened up some chances for ourselves. I think we will need Hopper or Marquis in the second half but I’m pleased MA dropped them as I think he sent an important managerial message. We can still get something from this.

HT. Do not despair, we’re still in this. Looked quite slick moving forwards at times. Not so hot at the back. But the same can be said if Wigan. Next goal important!

Let's get a p*ssed off Marquis on in the second half. We can create chances and win this.

How is Maguire still getting selected, surely Hopps or Marquis is a better option than this fraud?

That apart, Poole looks out of position as our centre backs have been awful, but I recognise there’s nobody else left who is fit.

Impressed with Bishop & Fiorini but it was always gonna be a big ask today against a very streetwise Wigan side.

Our experienced centre backs were weak and hesitant for the second Wigan goal, both awful for the first.

There's an issue today with our most experienced players as, once again, Maguire offers more problems than solutions.

If we can keep it like it is we've still got a chance, especially with some forward options on the bench, but I don't trust us to not to concede at least once more.

I always listen to the other side's commentary as it's invariably better - though slanted the other way - but I have to say that Wigan's is hilariously biased, real one-eyed stuff. Just the other side of the Hortin coin, though.

HT. Very entertaining half in which we’ve played some lovely football at times. Given away two very sloppy goals - defenders just went to sleep twice. Shows why Wigan are top when they can take advantage clinically of the two mistakes we’ve made at the back. Maguire is actually playing quite well for a change. We are looking like a team for a change instead of eleven strangers like they have sometimes. I think Jamie Robson is struggling a bit against the physicality of the Wigan strikers and may need to come off. Cullen is doing a pretty good job but maybe Hopper would be a bit more effective, particularly at winning FKs (though the ref doesn’t seem that interested in giving FKs). Fiorini having another good game. We aren’t outmof this yet and could quite easily score a goal or two - hope MA instills the belief and tells them to go for it.

They look so strong in the air up front which is troubling considering we’ve probably got our strongest headers out

In other news Scunny 0 Mansfield 3.
Have a feeling they’ll be two leagues apart next year

Hopefully we can conjure up a 2-2 draw here, though I think the final score is more likely to be 1-3. Wigan need to win and probably will.

Think Mr Hortin outdid himself today - at one point him and Thommo were having a talk about the difficulty of reading the numbers on the Wigan shirts. He went on to say they don’t have that problem with the Lincoln players as they know who the players are 😳🙈 😂🤣

We have done well first half. Made two sloppy defensive errors which proved costly. Need to make a change up front to compete against a tall physical defensive unit