Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland

Went yesterday hoping for a draw, and left the ground fully exorcised of the Cowley ghosts - moved into the new MA era and no looking back. UTI!

Had an (almost) front row seat for the best 15 mins or so I can remember from a single player, Bruno laying waste to them down the right. He dragged that second goal out of the rest of the team, he just wasn't letting Sunderland stop him. Wonderful.

Can't believe he wasn't MOTM, but what do the sponsors know.

Perhaps we need to talk about penalties, though.

Including pre-season, we have scored 3 out of 6.
Scored: Akinde, Grant, Walker.
Missed: Payne, Akinde, Walker.

Was out last night and missed the first 70 minutes of the game. Absolutely thrilled when I switched on i-Follow and saw we were 2 - 0 up. Just watched the whole game on i-Follow. The Imps were superb - best they've played for several weeks. Think it's fair to say they've bought into MAs management style, tactics, etc. Thought Sunderland were awful and really didn't live up to expectation. I especially thought they were dirty at times- twice Eardley was shoved in the face and the "referee" gave nothing. Were they that bad because they've decided they don't want to play for Jack Ross - certainly some of their supporters don't rate him. We they expecting to just turn up and we'd roll over after the last two or three weeks. Maybe Ross is a "Dead man walking". Apart from the strike that Vickers brilliantly saved they really didn't cause us any problems at all. Difficult to rate a MoM as most of the team played really well. For me O'Connor made the big difference - he was the glue that held the team's structure together, both defensively and going forward. Connolly is OK but tries to spray too many long balls around the pitch, which breaks up the compact structure of the team-play. Surely Posh won't be as bad as Sunderland? Will be a better test maybe. Interesting to see how MA sets the team up there as well. Never lost faith but the team has come together again much quicker than I thought. UTI?

I’m in LL and heard a few booing, no more than a handful near the half way line in Coop. Thought it poor as he’s a young lad and it doesn’t help...

At least 30% of the LL was Sunderland supporters. One was sat beside me, looking very unhappy from ko

I am a big fan of Akinde, nice bloke and he did well last season in Div 2, but he does need to up his game like most of the others now seem to be doing, if not we may only see the odd cameo from the bench until January. Same goes for Harry, such potential but does not deliver often enough going forward.Plenty to work on ! Feel much better today than Saturday morning after that team performance !

Where we were sat....we dared to say that perhaps Anderson has become, perhaps, a one trick pony?

We also dared to say that if a club comes in for Akinde in January...he will be off.

Of course we said it in hushed tones.....as we would hate to be unfairly called haters for daring to utter those words.

I’m in LL and heard a few booing, no more than a handful near the half way line in Coop. Thought it poor as he’s a young lad and it doesn’t help...

I’m near you then mate, didn’t think my ears were failing me just yet. ?

Best home result in a league game since we beat Manchester city 2 1 all those years ago I reckon?
Still can't believe that we've beaten Sunderland yesterday when you consider where we were just a few years ago.

That was a fantastic performance.

The massive difference was being so much quicker at getting the ball forward with purpose. Vickers rolling the ball out to runners and passers gave us so much more than hoofing into no man's land. Not once did I see that awful passing round the back giving the opposition time to reposition and frustrate the forward ball when it eventually came.

This was all clearly Appleton seeing the problems we were causing ourselves, and killing them dead.

The knock-on effect further up the field was having several men in or around the box during attacking phases, some in positions that had not been blocked or covered and creating space and options. This instead of Walker on his own surrounded by three defenders, Payne on the centre circle, the two wingers marked and hopeful balls into no one.

Individually, Grant and Toffolo were superb down the left - they are such good players. Andrade on the other side was at times unplayable - I can't see Anderson getting many minutes from this point onwards.

O'Connor gave us everything we have lacked, screening the defence and freeing up Morrell to get those forward passes going. Walker is a goal machine if you get the ball to him and Payne in an advanced position is his ideal foil (apart from when he gets in front and blocks a nailed-on goal...!)

when was the last time we had a home attendance higher than that?

Not answering your question I know but does this now mean that in the "all seated" era that v Sunderland are the top 2?

EDIT: Should also add these would be the "official" top 2. There were way more at the Brighton end of season game when we got promoted. People were sat on the steps in between each block.

Where we were sat....we dared to say that perhaps Anderson has become, perhaps, a one trick pony?

We also dared to say that if a club comes in for Akinde in January...he will be off.

Of course we said it in hushed tones.....as we would hate to be unfairly called haters for daring to utter those words.

Anderson does score goals though so he does have something in his portfolio to think about when selecting.

I’m near you then mate, didn’t think my ears were failing me just yet. ?

I'm in upper 1 so further from the middle than the Lizard's Lounge and we could hear booing. Much more than "a few." Was pretty noticeable. Benefit of the doubt head on, maybe it was booing taking O' Connor off as he had put in a sterling performance ;)