Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"We might not be winning games yet but the performances are an improvement.":

"We need to put the positive things we've done in the Manchester United U21s game and the Blackpool game into the Sunderland game. We might not be winning games yet but the performances are an improvement prior to Michael Appleton taking over."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...-yet-but-the-performances-are-an-improvement/

MA: "We have just got to make sure we apply the pressure at the right times.":

Michael Appleton presented with an aura of calm authority ahead of the much anticipated Sunderland fixture this weekend.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...ure-we-apply-the-pressure-at-the-right-times/

Lincoln City v Sunderland - Prepare For Touchline Tantrums:

Information about today's match officials.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/lincoln-city-v-sunderland-prepare-for-touchline-tantrums/

"With Sunderland, he has struggled to instil a winning mentality within our side." (Who Are Ya?):

"Jack Ross is still developing as a coach in English football, with Sunderland, he has struggled to instil a winning mentality within our side. We rarely lose games, but we also draw way too many, failure to deliver promotion this season will see him lose his job."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...o-instil-a-winning-mentality-within-our-side/

Looking forward to this one and will be setting off for the fair county just after 11 in the morning. Was one to really look for when the fixtures were announced and shows how far we've come
To put it in perspective on the corresponding first Saturday in October fixture list in 2016 Sunderland were playing a Premier League game at home to WBA whilst we had a home league fixture against Braintree
Not expecting too much but this could be our Man City game from the last time we were in this league

Also looking forward to this game for a couple of reasons. Hoping the lads can find the back of the onion bag today.
This could also be the last game can attend for a few months.

Looking forward to this one. Up early, out with the dog, back for brekkie, "Frampton Comes Alive" playing loud. As live albums go, this more than stands the test time. Three hours work; should get away for 11.30. Expecting nothing, a point would be great, three would be off the scale. Come on City.

Last edited:
Interesting to see what team is picked. I suspect will revert to experience, although of course don’t have the same knowledge of how MA thinks than previous incumbents so may be surprised.
Expect to still see Vickers but think he needs an error free performance as Smith is running him close. Lewis is one who might get a game due to his energy. I think Harry A might be on the bench with Grant & Bruno starting, Hesketh not fit enough to start yet.
Although wouldn’t be my pick expect Connolly to start over O’Connor.
Right watch me get all of this wrong

I think the changes I would make would be bring in Smith for Vickers, Lewis for Eardley and Grant for Anderson and most importantly MOC for Connolly. Hesketh looked lively the other night, so if things aren’t going well give him a chance from the bench.

The issue with Lewis is he’s not available after today due to his U21 call up. Do you change it today knowing you have to change it back next week? If it wasn’t for the call up I’d bring him in but I think the timing might be unfortunate.

Right, I'm heading to work for a few hours, then back home to play FIFA! It's time for a better match day routine!

We're playing Sunderland at home in the league today, crazy!
Let's get behind them ALL today and enjoy this!
My daughter is such an Imps fan now she's going late to her best friend's birthday party at nandos.
As she said " not missing this one, we're playing Sunderland! "

Good luck to everyone today and I hope you all enjoy it, we badly need some encouragement. UTI.

Just as a footnote Bob Dorrian`s father actually played for Sunderland so there`s a good chance he will be wearing a brand new half and half scarf......special order from Andreas Carter.

Enjoy it today Bob,you earn`t it................Carshalton just a distant memory?

Who would ever thought it little old Lincoln playing the mighty Sunderland in the league.
Taken 20 years since the 1999 cup game.

I frequently work up in Sunderland and one of my many acquaintances called Ben is a season-ticket holder up there. I'm rather hoping we don't lose!

Good luck to everyone today and I hope you all enjoy it, we badly need some encouragement. UTI.
We certainly do - and I hope your prediction of a 1 - 4 loss is way off the mark as your 2 - 1 win prediction against Oxford was ??