Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

Lincoln will not get relegated this season. Bolton are miles behind, southend are awful and there is only one spot left and enough teams are worse than lincoln to fill it. The performance was very poor last night. Shrewsbury said break us down if you can and we couldn't. Lincoln passed the ball left and right and left again and then gave it away. Harry Anderson must be wondering what he has done wrong - the game was crying out for him. Two kids next to me fell asleep and I really couldn't blame them. Surely we need to attack as a home team. I hope that last night isn't a sign of things to come. Those two kids are normally excited at home games- 3pm or night kick offs. They will not be asking their dad to take them again if this continues. Bolton suddenly turns into a big game. Supporters will be expecting a win, as they are bottom, but Bolton have strengthened significantly. It will not be an easy game. Time for appleton to start earning his money.

Lincoln will not get relegated this season. Bolton are miles behind, southend are awful and there is only one spot left and enough teams are worse than lincoln to fill it. The performance was very poor last night. Shrewsbury said break us down if you can and we couldn't. Lincoln passed the ball left and right and left again and then gave it away. Harry Anderson must be wondering what he has done wrong - the game was crying out for him. Two kids next to me fell asleep and I really couldn't blame them. Surely we need to attack as a home team. I hope that last night isn't a sign of things to come. Those two kids are normally excited at home games- 3pm or night kick offs. They will not be asking their dad to take them again if this continues. Bolton suddenly turns into a big game. Supporters will be expecting a win, as they are bottom, but Bolton have strengthened significantly. It will not be an easy game. Time for appleton to start earning his money.

I would say Appleton is more than earning his money - he’s inherited an unbalanced squad mid-season, and faced some really tough fixtures. Drawing nil-nil at home isn’t the end of the world. Two weeks ago we were beating Sunderland.

Too much knocking it across the back for me, to my mind we need to play at a quicker tempo, I would start with both Akinde and Anderson on Tuesday night asGrant did nothing last night.

As an aside I suspect we would have heard a much different post match interview last two games under the previous regime

I would say Appleton is more than earning his money - he’s inherited an unbalanced squad mid-season, and faced some really tough fixtures. Drawing nil-nil at home isn’t the end of the world. Two weeks ago we were beating Sunderland.
This isn't aimed at you MR, but I'm still seeing this 'unbalanced' line trotted out and I'm still not sure why because it's a complete myth. Of course, we have injuries, which leaves you light in some areas but no more than you would during a normal season. In the squad we have:

2 GK's
2 RB's
3 CB's
3 LB's (one of which can play CB)
6(?) CM's
5 Wingers / '10's'
2 Strikers

There's cover everywhere by at least two players. You could sacrifice a CM for another ST but it doesn't need that much changing around in terms of numbers. If you were to people to split a squad up, it'd not look too far from the above.

The balance is basically fine bar, as I say, another ST. The 'unbalanced' line doesn't wash with me.

I had to suffer 70 minutes queuing getting across Sutton Bridge yesterday and then 90 minutes at SB, dont know which was worse. Think the Sutton Bridge 3 mile queue gave me more entertainment.
I am sure the match has been fully discussed above and no doubt Appleton is doing his best with Cowleys players. Thats the problem of course. The Cowleys gave us three fantastic years and left the Club in a far far better place than before they joined behind the scenes and the fan base they developed. Dont forget though we took a chance on them and gave them the platform to eventually move on to big bucks.
What does annoy me is that from what we have heard the Cowleys were unsettled during the summer, and should have left then, but still signed new players and loan players probably on the back of their reputation and then buggered off after a handfull of games. Individually we have a good set of players but not a team. On the evidence of last night Appleton has a long and difficult job ahead. UTI.

This isn't aimed at you MR, but I'm still seeing this 'unbalanced' line trotted out and I'm still not sure why because it's a complete myth. Of course, we have injuries, which leaves you light in some areas but no more than you would during a normal season. In the squad we have:

2 GK's
2 RB's
3 CB's
3 LB's (one of which can play CB)
6(?) CM's
5 Wingers / '10's'
2 Strikers

There's cover everywhere by at least two players. You could sacrifice a CM for another ST but it doesn't need that much changing around in terms of numbers. If you were to people to split a squad up, it'd not look too far from the above.

The balance is basically fine bar, as I say, another ST. The 'unbalanced' line doesn't wash with me.

Yeah fair enough.

I had to suffer 70 minutes queuing getting across Sutton Bridge yesterday and then 90 minutes at SB, dont know which was worse. Think the Sutton Bridge 3 mile queue gave me more entertainment.
I am sure the match has been fully discussed above and no doubt Appleton is doing his best with Cowleys players. Thats the problem of course. The Cowleys gave us three fantastic years and left the Club in a far far better place than before they joined behind the scenes and the fan base they developed. Dont forget though we took a chance on them and gave them the platform to eventually move on to big bucks.
What does annoy me is that from what we have heard the Cowleys were unsettled during the summer, and should have left then, but still signed new players and loan players probably on the back of their reputation and then buggered off after a handfull of games. Individually we have a good set of players but not a team. On the evidence of last night Appleton has a long and difficult job ahead. UTI.

It's difficult to blame them for doing their job right up until it wasn't their job any more. You could see right up to the Wycombe game that they were still well up for being Lincoln City. I didn't like their timing, it angered me and put the club in a very awkward position. But the fact is that despite them trying for jobs in the summer, the work put in on our team over that period cannot be faulted (except perhaps for that guy who hasn't even played for us yet). Had we had the funds for a couple more good signings, they might even have stayed.

Despite all the good work the Cowleys did in the 3 previous seasons, the fact that they have left us with an unbalanced squad is unarguable - lacking at centre back and up front - and beginning to show now in spades particularly up front.

I have been out of the loop a bit recently, but this is my take on it. We are only four points behind the play-off positions despite having played the other top thirteen sides bar just two, and despite having the disruption of losing our beloved manager five weeks into the season. We have also been without some senior players - Bostwick is a major loss, as is an in-form Pett and a fit Frecklington. That is a tough set of circumstances, especially for a recently promoted side. Although I only get to watch the majority of the games on iFollow, I can already see clear signs that Appleton is having an impact in terms of organisation and has stabilised the ship. That had to be the immediate priority before he could even start to consider how to make us more effective in forward areas. I think we have the right man in charge to pick this up and carry it forward, although it may take a while longer before the wins start to come regularly. Patience will be required this side of the transfer window at least, and we know he will have some money to spend. The second half of the season could be very interesting.

Despite all the good work the Cowleys did in the 3 previous seasons, the fact that they have left us with an unbalanced squad is unarguable - lacking at centre back and up front - and beginning to show now in spades particularly up front.
It's very arguable.

Aside from an additional striker, how exactly is it unbalanced? Being a man light in one area isn't unbalanced.

It's very arguable.

Aside from an additional striker, how exactly is it unbalanced? Being a man light in one area isn't unbalanced.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times some of us actually list the players and which positions they cover, someone will always keep bringing it up like the world's most pointless whack-a-mole game.

Lack of a centre half it is again, despite complaints last season that we'd wasted a squad place having too many (4) centre halves and that one had to fill in at right back. We currently have five players who can play centre half, six if Eardley's going to be used there.