Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

In my personal opinion that's the best all round performance by the Imps since the play off season. I don't think any player including the subs had a poor or even average game.
Skubala has instilled belief in the players and the brand at football we are now playing is starting to bear fruit. Amazing pressing not just from the front two but from midfield as well. He has managed to make us more attacking but also kept us solid defensively a very hard thing to do.
I would luv us to make the playoffs but really depends on others dropping points as well as us keeping on winning but I feel we might just come up short. But having said that even if we don't make it this season I am really excited about our prospects next season.
Get renewing your season tickets i think we are in for an exciting ride.
What I liked was how the midfield rotated in their roles, Bishop started off furthest forward, then Erhahon had a spell helping with the forward press.

When Shrews had the ball, they spent most of the time going backwards as they couldn't deal with the team structure and press facing them. Stevenage will be a different proposition but I sense the management/coaching team are getting better at developing appropriate strategies for different opponents.

Excellent tonight, really dominant and in truth the game should have been over by 25 minutes.

Really think we are getting it right in midfield, a midfield 3 with the quality we have is really excelling and McGrandles has been a superb signing. Not only for his own individual performances, but he has got Erharon firing again who has been equally superb lately. Slight concern with the gates dipping, still a tough time financially for people as the cost of living is still a factor and not improving.

Playoffs just out of touch for me this year, but really enjoying the current form.

The really pleasing aspect for me last night was the number of chances we created. After almost 3 seasons of negative tactics it was really pleasing to see us take the game at home to the opposition. What also should be noted is whilst Skubala is taking all the plaudits and rightly so but it should be pointed out that the undeafted run has coincided with the return of Chris cohen as coach with his first game being the Wycombe game when the unbeaten run started back in mid January

Just watched the highlights, so good! What a rocket by Hackett. Great to see so many chances.

Random quirk - did their keeper actually touch the Bishop pen? I think if not, the game should have been stopped as pen taker can't be the first to touch the ball again? Fun.

(Edit - notice also mentioned it above!)
I thought that watching the replay of the pen. Assume the ref knows the rules?

Just watched that interview - I’d be down in the dumps if i was a Salop fan.

Fantastic performance last night - but how will we fare against Mr Evans’ style of play?
It will be a completely different test and could well be a scrappy battle but I am very pleased to see that on the right day our players really can put in a dominating, skillful and exciting performance with not every match becoming an attritional, tactical game of chess.

Knowing that the team have that in their locker, makes it easier to accept when the style and calibre of opponent necessitates grinding out a result.

Just watched that interview - I’d be down in the dumps if i was a Salop fan.

Fantastic performance last night - but how will we fare against Mr Evans’ style of play?
One things for sure after watching last nights game Stevenage will try not to let us play like that. They will have a plan to cut off supply from our midfield, strong arm tactics ,tasty tackles, time wasting and the like. It will not be pretty like last night, it will be up to us to counter anything they chuck at us with Evans having his usual moan from the sidelines. MS will know all about that. Just hope we have a strong Ref. A game worth watching though for all the antics, and, hopefully a bit of footi from us ! Looking forward to it !
UTI.

One things for sure after watching last nights game Stevenage will try not to let us play like that. They will have a plan to cut off supply from our midfield, strong arm tactics ,tasty tackles, time wasting and the like. It will not be pretty like last night, it will be up to us to counter anything they chuck at us with Evans having his usual moan from the sidelines. MS will know all about that. Just hope we have a strong Ref. A game worth watching though for all the antics, and, hopefully a bit of footi from us ! Looking forward to it !
UTI.

Bobby Madley, so yes certainly a strong ref.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Players want to express themselves and so credit to the coaching staff as they certainly look like they are enjoying themselves now and have been freed from the shackles.
Obviously getting better players back from injury and better players in has been a major factor. McGrandles and Taylor, amongst others, were outstanding last night. We are getting the ball quicker into Taylor and I think we can improve that even more. There were at least a couple of times last night where a quicker ball and he could have been one on one with the keeper.
The quality of ball out from the back when we go long also seems marginally better. We are playing through midfield a lot more but also trying to hit areas rather than aimlessly punting towards a CF.

Hell of a first touch by Bishop to cushion Reeco's shot/cross.

The McGrandles cruyff turn on the byline is back!

Erhahon's pass to Reeco in the second half was a hell of a ball, albeit a couple of sloppy passes from him where he played them blind and didn't seem to get enough on them.

Most of our chances were actually created from the press rather than attacking moves (which isn't a bad thing, just making the point).

Skoobs and his coaches deserve a lot of credit for the way they have turned things around. It's great to see the players all looking like they are enjoying their football. Bishop has been a revelation under Skubala who is playing him in his best position and getting the best out of him. Roughan also looks to have regained his confidence and form.
I think other teams must be looking at us and scratching their heads before games because we seem to playing a completely different way to most others. We seem to have a fluid system were nobody is rigidly stuck in a position and told to stay there.
With the exception of Jensen obviously and Mitchell and O'connor who pretty much stay at the back . Sorrensen will be a full back one minute or pushed right up on the wing the next. Roughan can be at left centre half, left full back or pushing up as keft wing back. Hackett left back, left wing or down the centre. Erhahon and Mcgrandles alternate between attacking and defending but at times last night were pressing even higher up than House and Taylor. So we cannot really be defined as 3 at the back or 4 or 5 because it changes throughout the match.
I think last night was a prime example of this. But the most important thing is that the players all seem to embrace this and know exactly what they are doing.
That can only be down to good coaching.