Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

Out muscled and bullied all over the park (as we usually are against Rotherham). Expected us to be firing on a few more cylinders though and actually cause them some problems, but it was a walk in the park for the Millers.

Not really sure what MK will take out of that game, but we looked like 11 strangers that had never trained or played together. It’s a bit concerning to think we will start with that probable 11 against Bolton.

So is Teddy injured again? Any news about potential incomings, sorry if already mentioned.

Second half was better when we went with a flat back 4 with Eyoma Roughan at fullback - need more creativity in midfield would go 4-40-2 v Bolton with Duffy and Hackett wide and House and Walker up front

Whenever there's discussion of poor results in pre-season friendlies I always hark back to the summer of 1975:

A 1-1 draw at home to second tier side Oxford United was followed by a 1-0 defeat away to Southern League Chelmsford City. Two further defeats then followed in home games with third tier sides. First, a worryingly poor performance came in a 4-1 loss to Charlton Athletic which saw Dennis Leigh head into his own net and Sam Ellis miss a penalty. The final match was against Watford and an even poorer display saw a 1-0 defeat.

We went on to lose out on promotion by the narrowest of margins.

Conversely, I could point to the summer of 1986 when we scored 58 goals in 13 games and went on to be relegated out of the league.

Will never read anything into pre-season results.

But, I must say, I found our tactics when in possession to be completely baffling.

Didn’t understand the long ball thing at all.

Brown and Reeco - less said, the better.

Thought Mandroiu was our best player, overall. Showed some great touches and kept trying to keep the ball moving.

Felt sorry for House. Being isolated for one season is bad enough but it could well be two seasons. Poor bastard. Hopefully MK changes something up there, as I’ve never seen a formation be so negative when attacking.

Whenever there's discussion of poor results in pre-season friendlies I always hark back to the summer of 1975:

A 1-1 draw at home to second tier side Oxford United was followed by a 1-0 defeat away to Southern League Chelmsford City. Two further defeats then followed in home games with third tier sides. First, a worryingly poor performance came in a 4-1 loss to Charlton Athletic which saw Dennis Leigh head into his own net and Sam Ellis miss a penalty. The final match was against Watford and an even poorer display saw a 1-0 defeat.

We went on to lose out on promotion by the narrowest of margins.
The summer of '75 was a prelude to the record-breaking season, not the "narrowest of margins" season.

Apologies but I nitially put this in the wrong so ive copied it over.
Yes todays performance was dissapointing but; as already mentioned; it was a pre season friendly. A few points that I feel are relevent. I thought we pulled out of a few 50/50s today that could be down to the squad size (something Rotherham proabablty doidnt have to worry about) and the chance of injury the week before the season starts . I thought we kept our shape quite well and you can clearly see how we want to play. We had a few periods where we passed the ball well but we were far too open when we lost the ball and didnt get enough players behind the ball. We looked better when Roughan moved to wing back and both him and Sorensson played 10/15 yards further forward than the wing backs earlier. O'Connoer moving to the left also made us look more comfortable. I personnaly never saw us go to a 4 4 2. I liked the look of the midfield duo and think they will get better as they learn each others game. I also think we should try and give them the ball more rather than going long. They both look like they are capable of providing openings for the front 3. It wa sgood to Walker get some minutes and even with his few touches you can see he has a bit of quality about him. The final point is, these are all our players. No Rushworths, Johnsons etc. We need to take this into account when analysing these perforamce and give the team a bit of leeway whilst they settle into the season.

a very concerning display in my view. Despite a decent build up of games we look nowhere near ready for Bolton.

Brown, Hackett and Jensen unimpressive. Smith ok but did nothing exceptional. Defence overall looked very unsure with the two new defenders.

We only had one new defender?

Second half was better when we went with a flat back 4 with Eyoma Roughan at fullback - need more creativity in midfield would go 4-40-2 v Bolton with Duffy and Hackett wide and House and Walker up front
I can’t see Walker being read to start for a couple of weeks at least

Football fans are a funny bunch

Some comments from another friendly today from Bolton fans

".....the areas we know we have problems in and Evatt knows are still there"

"If I had to pick a worry it’s still up front"

".....we will see errors at the back....."

"....what matters is that we saw an awful error that led to a goal"

This was after beating West Brom 4-3 today.....oh and Bolton has Danny Nlundulu as one of their two main strikers.........!!

Today was meaningless in terms of what the season will bring however I enjoyed a game a football in the sunshine back at the Bank. Nothing else for us to worry about (any more than beating Boston 7-0 was any more for us to feel confident about).

Next Saturday, season starts,.