Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

After that one chance for House early on, Lincoln created nothing. Second to the ball 90% of the time, lacklustre, disjointed, slow, lacking ideas, unable to cope with being pressed, poor defensive midfield... I know it is only pre-season, but that was basically our first team and this was the final friendly. Rotherham are what the best sides in L1 will be like. If Bolton watch that game back, they will be drooling in anticipation.

MH - Imps disjointed, uncomfortable in possession, trying to force things a bit. Didn't track runners for Rotherham third - poor goal. Not concerned but only week away from season. Play like that v Bolton we will get beat. No continuity, on field partnerships - disappointing.

a very concerning display in my view. Despite a decent build up of games we look nowhere near ready for Bolton.

Brown, Hackett and Jensen unimpressive. Smith ok but did nothing exceptional. Defence overall looked very unsure with the two new defenders.

He actually said the net cost (loss) was £20k a season excluding staff time preparing it.

Completely unrealistic to keep it going.
Exactly was I was saying , a loss loosing product for the club. Only winner for a small number of collectors.... btw for those who have a Imps v shrews programme for the last game of last season, keep in good condition, as the last printed match prog it will be worth something to a collectors.

Brown off. TJ on. Roughan to LB.

Possibly how we will start at Bolton.
Clear sign today of what happens when you swap defensive wing backs for attacking wing backs, and have an inexperienced lcb as well… against a stronger team.
I am expecting Bolton to be quite close to Rotherham in quality.

question for the coaching team is why are we continuing to float high balls from defence to attack when it has brought zero joy for the first 60 minutes.
unless he haven’t worked on any other way to work the ball into the final third

Looked to me that the new recruits need some more time to fit in
Not sure we’ve got our pre season right tbh as the step up has gone from Boston to Rotherham with the last half an hour against Grimsby
We are where we are
Hopefully some incoming ??
August looks a tough month as it stands

I don’t think you can read too much into this no more then you could if had won.

Rotherham are clearly a better side

Also difficult to understand the motivation for matches like this - for all we know the chasing shadows will do them some good.

Although the purpose of pre-season games is to get minutes in legs, a big part too is to integrate new signings into our style of play and for players to develope understandings with each other.

We lost Rushworth and Poole from our regular back 6 of last season, so it was vital during these games for the defense to work with Jensen and Brown and gel. Today they looked like a bunch of strangers.

Our centre backs did not seem to know when Jensen was going to come for crosses. Brown wasn't showing correctly for passes out of defence and didn't get forward once. All six looked shaky - and that concerns me when defence was our strong area last season.

Hopefully we are much better at Bolton.

So we only scored the first goal in one pre season game ie Boston away. That has put the cat amongst the pigeons for the where will they finish competition?!

What concerns me is the lack of cohesion, creativity, and understanding between the players. L:eek:oked like a bunch of individuals rather than a TEAM gelling together.