Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rochdale | Page 31 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rochdale

On the day the best side won and it could have been by a lot more goals. The loss of the injured players is beginning to show in our performances but that is to be fully expected. You don’t play like we did today on purpose and Tuesday v Gillingham we start again.

A bad day at the office to say the least, some unbelievably poor stuff today. Although he made a couple of good saves, Palmer's distribution was terrible again - I noted six occasions when he either panicked on being closed down (1), hoofed the ball out of play (2) or hoofed it straight to a Rochdale player (3). Our midfield was totally overrun, Jones looked like he has never played before, and some awful set pieces from him. Jackson got himself the wrong side of the Rochdale attack with frightening regularity, and Edun got away with a blatant penalty. Every ball bounced off Morton, invariably ending any chance we had of building an attack. Bramall gave the ball away repeatedly and looked very uncomfortable, while Poole actually passed the ball back to Palmer from near the edge of the Rochdale area. Everything looked panicky and hurried, we do not react well when a side closes us down quickly.

I am sure Bridcutt will start against Gillingham to restore some order in the centre, today there was none.

Here's a positive thought: perhaps the worst performance of the season is now behind us.

I agree with this in part, but it's a huge fall and not a great starting point for next season in terms of momentum.

Hopefully the team morale is still good for the remaining fixtures. Appleton must be tempted to rush Brodcutt back to the first team, important that he doesn't!

Yep - plus I would guess no Rogers (higher loan), no Johnson (Forest squad minimum), Palmer (Champ club)? I guess we just have to hope that Mapp can find the same standard of loan - been a lot more hits than misses with signings but I think the quality in the squad has presented such a huge opportunity...

Gillingham on Tuesday is going to be tough too and in Vadaine Oliver, they've got one of the most in-form forwards in the division at the moment.

Right then Im off to rustle some tea . I hope no one is expecting nothing special . Fucking going to dig something out from the bottom of the fridge freezer. Bland and unappetizing as the Imps today is in order. You know , a spicy potato wedges type of thing . Who knows I might strike gold and discover a Findus crispy pancake imprisoned in furry ice lurking under the scattering of loose veg. Boun appetito per la mia familgia ...ha!

Personal opinion - need to cool the opinions on Bramall and Poole a little bit. I think it is more jarring because they have both been thrown into the side and they were both poor today BUT Bramall will be an asset in games where our chances just come on the transition and I massively disagree that Eyoma is better technically than Poole even if his end product was rank today.

I think they could both be reasonable players.

Totally agree re Eyoma. Poole is adequate defending, but hasn't a clue going forward.
As I wrote in another post, Poole passed back to Palmer when 30 yards from the Rochdale goal, unbelievable when you are 2-1 down. Even my other half squealed when he did that, and she was reading a book at the same time.

Personal opinion - need to cool the opinions on Bramall and Poole a little bit. I think it is more jarring because they have both been thrown into the side and they were both poor today BUT Bramall will be an asset in games where our chances just come on the transition and I massively disagree that Eyoma is better technically than Poole even if his end product was rank today.

Disagree. Eyoma is streets ahead of Poole technically and in every department of play.

Meanwhile, I'm better than Brammal (and so is Roughan).

Could we go back to T.J. and Young Ruffian as starting backs, quality early season.
I think MA has been mindful of Roughan's inexperience and confidence, after subbing him early at Blackpool he doent want another going- over.

TJ hasnt been the same since his illness and I suspect his fitness and energy stats will back that up.

Integrating new players in the mid season can be difficult, it's not until the next season you can fully appreciate what they bring.

But Poole and Bramall, after promising recent games, both took a relative step back today.

TJ and Tayo at full back on Tuesday with Bridcutt back?

Yeah I agree.

People also saying that eyoma is better going forward, the lad will do anything but shoot on goal. He even said himself that as a centre back he has been having to learn how to cross (which has done superbly well).

Today Rochdale pressed hard and our midfield offered very few options off the ball.

We shall see, 2 of Mapp's poorer signings for me.

For the second Saturday in succession I ended up watching two games at the same time which means it isn't really easy to watch either.

But... it looked like Rochdale were much the better side. I'm very happy with this season but recent performances have shown we're not a side likely to go up. That's not a knee-jerk reaction to a poor defeat from a poor performance, it's just there's something missing still.

When we were well on top on Tuesday, and much the better team, we surrendered the initiative and dropped points, which were glossed over. Today, the usual game went out of the window, all too rushed, always chasing it and Tuesday looks like the opportunity which was missed.

It's very inconsistent. We go from looking like classy league leaders in the first half of one match, to panic-stricken and clueless in the first half of the next.

I'm not too down about it, there's still a lot of the season left to go and I expect the play-offs, but I doubt we'll be able to overhaul the more experienced, calmer sides - this season.