Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

That's why we all love footy though, it's unpredictable. Don't think anyone can argue they weren't better than us on the day mate.

Totally agree. They were the better team by far on the day.Their league position though doesn't indicate that they play like that every week.

Best side i have seen this season,organised,fluid, confident on the ball..........there again we were total dogsh1t.

so difficult to make a judgement of any value.

Last edited:
I'm amazed anyone thinks Oxford were that good. Any team would have looked good against us on Saturday. Reckon Southend would've beaten us probably by 4 and we wouldn't have scored.

I'm amazed anyone thinks Oxford were that good. Any team would have looked good against us on Saturday. Reckon Southend would've beaten us probably by 4 and we wouldn't have scored.
They took their goals extremely well. All bar the last one required a very decent finish... in that regard it is a bit of a one off.

Any Sunday league team on the Cow Paddle would have hammered us on that display. I bet today's video analysis will be lively for the squad. UTI !

Any Sunday league team on the Cow Paddle would have hammered us on that display. I bet today's video analysis will be lively for the squad. UTI !

Interesting to know if they're made to watch it, or if it's all about the season starts here with a fresh start. I'd have thought the latter and try to move on quickly and get off to a positive start.

My non-football watching wife came up with a succinct comment the other day, along the lines of this:
“It is the same group of players isn’t it? Then why are they playing so badly without the Cowleys? Is it because there is no one on the side of the pitch - ie. a teacher - telling them what to do? That really sums up footballers - shows how few brain cells they have if they cannot perform their jobs without someone on the sidelines telling them what to do and how to do it.”

She makes a very valid point.

My non-football watching wife came up with a succinct comment the other day, along the lines of this:
“It is the same group of players isn’t it? Then why are they playing so badly without the Cowleys? Is it because there is no one on the side of the pitch - ie. a teacher - telling them what to do? That really sums up footballers - shows how few brain cells they have if they cannot perform their jobs without someone on the sidelines telling them what to do and how to do it.”

It's League 1, it's a big step up from League 2. We are a small fish in this bigger pond, we almost certainly can't afford a squad that can compete at the top end of the table and our results have been flattered by playing 2 of the sides that are worse than us at home and a smash and grab away at Rotherham. The reality of the slog that this season is going to be appears just to be dawning on some of our fans.

Mrs Imposter makes a valid point , Sometimes a good player could be made into a very good player or even great player by having great spacial awareness , some dont, hence a good coach sees what the player doesnt and as such has to tell them what to be looking for

Is it because there is no one on the side of the pitch - ie. a teacher - telling them what to do? That really sums up footballers - shows how few brain cells they have if they cannot perform their jobs without someone on the sidelines telling them what to do and how to do it.”

It could be they were instructed to only do what they were told. One remembers John Beck getting very annoyed if his players didn't do so - even if they'd scored a wonder goal (Bos v Mansfield).

We're definitely struggling with being a half-finished project. The Cowleys clearly wanted to transform the way we played this season and signed lots of "ball-playing" players to do this.

But then, they left. It's a bit like someone half-finishing an Airfix kit and then handing it over without the instructions "Here you finish it".

MApp's job is to strip the kit back, reverse-engineer the instructions and build from scratch to improve the construction, reliability and function of the model.

We're definitely struggling with being a half-finished project. The Cowleys clearly wanted to transform the way we played this season and signed lots of "ball-playing" players to do this.

But then, they left. It's a bit like someone half-finishing an Airfix kit and then handing it over without the instructions "Here you finish it".

MApp's job is to strip the kit back, reverse-engineer the instructions and build from scratch to improve the construction, reliability and function of the model.
Getting the decals on was always the tricky bit!!

I think the half done airfix kit is a good analogy. For me, they've added some of the nice decals and fluffy bits but not really put the engine and main chassis into place. We've signed a lot of nice frilly players but when we were first promoted to L2 we made sure we had the core, brought in people like Bozzy. Next year another addition like that in shackell and people like freck, O'Connor who helped provide the hard to beat framework.

A L1 standard version of some of those players was missing this year imo. Potentially even a l1, ball playing standard of that. Some of last year's 'engine' aren't looking quite as good. Then you can add your Payne's and grants. Straightway there's the glaring issue of not having the players who can get the good ball players enough ball...

I think the half done airfix kit is a good analogy. For me, they've added some of the nice decals and fluffy bits but not really put the engine and main chassis into place. We've signed a lot of nice frilly players but when we were first promoted to L2 we made sure we had the core, brought in people like Bozzy. Next year another addition like that in shackell and people like freck, O'Connor who helped provide the hard to beat framework.

A L1 standard version of some of those players was missing this year imo. Potentially even a l1, ball playing standard of that. Some of last year's 'engine' aren't looking quite as good. Then you can add your Payne's and grants. Straightway there's the glaring issue of not having the players who can get the good ball players enough ball...

There's a youngish lad at Peterborough who apparently isn't wanted. Endless work-rate, tiger in the tackle but the perception is he can only play sideways and not forward. Might be worth a look in January...