Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"To get the very best out of this potentially 20-25 goals a season striker he needs a partner.":

"I'm going straight to the elephant in the room. Play 2 up front from the start. I don't think that Tyler Walker enjoys the lone striker role though he gives it his all.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...25-goals-a-season-striker-he-needs-a-partner/

Dude, Where's Your Card? - Lincoln City v Oxford United:

Information about today's officials.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/dude-wheres-your-card-lincoln-city-v-oxford-united/

JM: "The most pleasing thing for me was the character of the players.":

Summary of Thursday's press conference with Jamie McCombe.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...hing-for-me-was-the-character-of-the-players/

"I can't fault his passion but he straddles the line between talking a good game and talking cobblers." (Who Are Ya?):

"I can't fault his passion but he straddles the line between talking a good game and talking cobblers. I'd rate his performance at 6/10 so far. The club has backed him in transfers, this is his squad now, so room for improvement."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...een-talking-a-good-game-and-talking-cobblers/

Am I the only one who sees Oxford as the epitome of what we should have achieved in the 1980s?

Lincoln were the lower division trailblazers - regular cup runs and a surge towards the Second Division after years in the doldrums.

Lincoln missed out on promotion, but Oxford made it a year or two later and went on to the First Division and a League Cup win.

That could so easily have been us. Possibly.

Current top scorers:
5: Tyler Walker
3: John Akinde, Harry Anderson
2: Bruno Andrade
1: Jorge Grant, Michael O'Connor, Jason Shackell, Harry Toffolo

Oxford:
5: Cameron Brannagan
3: James Henry (3 penalties)
1: Shandon Baptiste, Anthony Forde, Tariqe Fosu, James Henry, Jamie Mackie, Elliott Moore, Josh Ruffels, Mark Sykes, Ben Woodburn

Last edited:
Yellow cards:

EFL only (yellow cards are competition-specific):
3: Joe Morrell,
2: Callum Connolly, Harry Toffolo
1: Harry Anderson, Cian Bolger, Michael O'Connor, Jason Shackell
Total: 44 points from 9 games.

Only six clubs - Bolton, Rotherham, MK Dons, Peterborough, Wycombe and Gillingham - have better records than Lincoln, and they have all played fewer games.

Q: So which is the dirtiest team in League One at the moment?

A: Today's opponents Oxford United, with 96 points from just 9 games. Tranmere continue to stamp on their heels in second place with an entirely discreditable 94 points from 8 games.

Am I the only one who sees Oxford as the epitome of what we should have achieved in the 1980s?

Lincoln were the lower division trailblazers - regular cup runs and a surge towards the Second Division after years in the doldrums.

Lincoln missed out on promotion, but Oxford made it a year or two later and went on to the First Division and a League Cup win.

They had Robert Maxwell, we had Gilbert Blades...….

Remember seeing us draw 2-2 with OUFC in January 1984. They ran away with the old Div 3 as we finished mid-table. A few years later we were four divisions below them, and we didn't play them for over 17 years after that game.

It still makes me smile that the perception of Lincoln is long ball hoof. The Oxford fans aren't expecting us to have adapted to the Mapp way in time for this match. They may get a surprise when we line up 4-2-3-1 and play it on the deck as usual which I have read just happens to be the Mapp preferred style and formation also.

It still makes me smile that the perception of Lincoln is long ball hoof. The Oxford fans aren't expecting us to have adapted to the Mapp way in time for this match. They may get a surprise when we line up 4-2-3-1 and play it on the deck as usual which I have read just happens to be the Mapp preferred style and formation also.
Indeed, they'll think we've overhauled our style since yesterday tea time just for MA's arrival.

McCombe and Warrington are still in charge for this game, so will we see much change? If nothing else, I hope we have more drive than in recent outings.

Hopefully we get going before 4 o clock today
Thought he might go 442 and let the pair of them off the leash from the get go
Rochdale first half was the final leg of a few weeks despair at the possibility of losing DC & NC and it happening . Second half was the start of the new era- the contrast between the two was stark and it was like watching the Imps we've become used to.
With the uplifting feeling the fans have got with MApp coming in I hope the lads feel the same and today's game sees us back to our best.

Short memories them lot considering they had Ian Atkins as Manager for a while.

Remember seeing us draw 2-2 with OUFC in January 1984. They ran away with the old Div 3 as we finished mid-table. A few years later we were four divisions below them, and we didn't play them for over 17 years after that game.

Was that the match partly played in a torrential downpour?