Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

Not too much I want to say about that, I can't be arsed, which appears the same attitude the team took today. It would be wrong to single out individuals for a bad performance. They were all shite.

That aside, I'm not as concerned as the result suggests. It probably highlights how reliant they are on being managed properly. From Monday, they will be.

I will say this, though, these players are capable of much better. It's time they got over the Cowleys and grew some balls.

This is the key now. We have skillful players who will perform when the going is good but do they have the gonads to do it when they're not. Thinking about our squad I'd suggest that the two Harrys and Bos look like they'll stand up to it. Possibly O Connor and Pett plus Freck should he ever play again but others have to have a question mark over them in that regard

This is the key now. We have skillful players who will perform when the going is good but do they have the gonads to do it when they're not. Thinking about our squad I'd suggest that the two Harrys and Bos look like they'll stand up to it. Possibly O Connor and Pett plus Freck should he ever play again but others have to have a question mark over them in that regard
Yep, easy to say we have leaders when the going is good. Apparently took Appleton a few games to work out who the real characters were, and who the defeatists were, at which point he ‘accelerated the process’ of the make up of the Oxford squad. We might be in for something similar

But if we play like that frequently we will be back in League 2. It was a fucking disgrace. Hopefully MA is the man to polish the turd that the Cowleys left us. 2 weak keepers, an absolute lack of pace at centre half, no fucker in the middle who can tackle, 1 and a bit strikers and 87 ‘attacking midfielders’. Sorry I forget the knackered fullback and the midfielder we signed cause he’s a nice lad but ain’t good enough to actually play. No wonder DC legged it, he laid the turd and realised it can’t be polished. Twat.

So we seem to have gone to the best squad ever assembled at this club after the Southend game to a turd of a squad.
Who on here would have thought that we would sit top half of League 1 today three years ago
Today was a terrible performance and result but matches like this do come along and as a long term City supporter I've had to endure them with far worse players than we currently have
Bit of perspective needed chap

No leadership on or off the pitch, knew we would be in trouble with no Bossie and O'Connor , midfield over run, reminded me of the Crewe home defeat two years ago, 1-4, but much worse. Fans, fantastic, stuck as a whole with the team, doing my best to forget ! Only just realised Dickie was playing for the other lot.

So what changes will Mapp make ? I know his oxford side played roofe in the number 10 role ,thats all i know will big john lead the front walker behind ? 41311 ?

So we seem to have gone to the best squad ever assembled at this club after the Southend game to a turd of a squad.
Who on here would have thought that we would sit top half of League 1 today three years ago
Today was a terrible performance and result but matches like this do come along and as a long term City supporter I've had to endure them with far worse players than we currently have
Bit of perspective needed chap
Said similar in the pub after, are we the team that won 4 0 v Southend or the one that lost 6 0 today or something in the middle?
One for Appleton there

Payne seems skilful on the ball but is his passing and shooting good enough?
Would Grant be better in that position?

So may be next match:
Smith
Eardley Bostwick Bolger Toffolo
OConnor Morrell
Anderson Grant Andrade
Walker

(If Bossie fit)
Lewis also an option for either Eardley or Anderson

Payne seems skilful on the ball but is his passing and shooting good enough?
Would Grant be better in that position?

So may be next match:
Smith
Eardley Bostwick Bolger Toffolo
OConnor Morrell
Anderson Grant Andrade
Walker

(If Bossie fit)
Lewis also an option for either Eardley or Anderson

I think Andrade is better in that position the Payne. Could they swap?

i don't think it is the one up front that is the problem, it is the effectiveness of the other ten, and creating chances. decent set pieces.
oxford only played one up front today, as i assume did man city.
There's no urgency or intent in the side. We just don't seem to have an idea of what we are trying to achieve when we have the ball. Paasing the ball for the sake of it, no plan or attacking ideas. Donny away was the first sign of this, pretty triangles in the wrong areas often ends up with ugly results.
Today was like watching us under Alan Buckley. Keep the ball at all costs, even if it means them scoring so that we can have it back!

Issues I have with the previous management duo.

1) Having a squad that was ridiculously unbalanced. 10 midfielders and two strikers. They had the option of keeping Adebayo-Smith so as he could learn his trade by being a regular sub, or even the odd start or two.

2)Saying one thing to the club and players, then running out at time which, let's face it, was hardly ideal.

There are others which relate to tactics...and I fully believe, that since Christmas, their lack of ability to adapt and the fact that they were on their worst run ever, made us too easy to beat. That, over time, has affected the confidence of the team.

Thankfully I am hoping Mr Appleton can turn things around. It will take time, however, and we need to have plenty of patience.

And can JAS be recalled ?
Well he is not playing much currently. He was on the bench when Boston played at Kettering recently and did not feature - came on towards the end of their next game and today came on in the 82nd minute in their FA cup game at Stamford and is now cup-tied.