Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Sadly I’m starting to think exactly what I was thinking under MK. I just can’t see any style of play or tactical set up.

I know MS has had a busy start but you don’t need months on a training field to instill some kind of tactics. These are professional footballers after all.
Perhaps the common denominator is the players rather than the coach?

Is it now obligatory that all throw-ins in the "final third" are long ones? More imagination, variation and intelligence please. A tactic now well known to every team we meet, and handled.
We never have movement at throws, never take them quickly to apply any pressure or urgency, and rarely find a red shirt with them unless we are away!
Having Northampton giving it the Ole treatment after 40 minutes mustbesome form of nadir to our current situation. Embarrassing.

no shots on target. again.
expect another bright first five minutes to the second half, before everything is forgotten and we regress.

northampton are nowhere near the standard of bolton. yet we seem to manage to be not quite as good as the opposition, and get out-passed by them, regardless of league position.

digging quite a hole here, i would be worried about a run like exeter’s - which can take an age to overcome.

Sadly I’m starting to think exactly what I was thinking under MK. I just can’t see any style of play or tactical set up.

I know MS has had a busy start but you don’t need months on a training field to instill some kind of tactics. These are professional footballers after all.
Ah but apparently the poor little lambs couldn't possibly learn a new system without two unbroken weeks of training without a match.

Behind on the game because I joined late. I think we’ve actually been the better team and probably don’t deserve to behind in my opinion, but that doesn’t hide that we haven’t been great. We’re not out of this game but it is still difficult to see where the goals are coming from. I think our best chance is from a set play, well apart from the long throw which is a waste of time.

We still look too isolated on the ball and lacking in the final ball (which is an upgrade on Boxing Day where we rarely played a final ball). Northampton are very average so not out of this. Frustrating but the team seems to be on different wavelengths tonight.

5 at the back at home against f'ing Northampton. People can point to missing attacking players as much as they like but we don't even make up for our lack of quality with any quantity going forward. This system is an absolute joke. Just bloody change it now Skubala. Terrible to watch and for all the talk of signing players with physicality, we lose all our duels and have zero pace. Roll on next season.

They don’t even have to learn a new system. Just what their jobs are.

But they don’t seem to have a clue where they are supposed to play and what they should do with the ball.

An even game, and I like the idea of giving Lasse a chance up front, in my view Imps' most skilful player, if there was any plan to feed him the ball but, as always, Imps midfield are clueless at moving towards the box and creating chances. Easier to shirk responsiibilty and go wide, or from defence, boot it up in hope. It's always the midfield that's crucial, and it's weak.

Four times in the last 2 minutes we have had a Lincoln touch, only to give it straight back to Northampton.

We can 'bomb on' and 'pushed forward' as much as Jimmy wants, except we can't even get hold of the ball and make a pass.

Starting to think that near enough the whole squad needs a revamp. Defenders are incapable of making a pass, no athleticism, multiple injuries despite this being the most static Lincoln side in many, many years...

It's becoming a very bad habit of ours in recent games to flatter to deceive for the first 15 minutes and then just go flat and give the ball away far too regularly...

Whatever MS is trying to do, its not working. He's getting tactically outclassed... again! Get Duffy or Shodipo or Vale on!