Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Poor old Regan having to do the post-mtch inteview shortly - we weren't good enough, we have to do better, repeat, repeat

That's not what he said at all- in fact the complete opposite. He said "we were comfortable throughout the game, they never looked like scoring, we are excellent at defending set pieces" (all true) and "we are really disappointed and frustrated that we conceded a deflection in the last minute" Nowhere did he say "we weren't good enough".

Very frustrating night. Great start and superb goal from Danny but then just sat back and let MK have the ball all night. Two other good chances in the second half from Danny and Boyes but MK had a good effort off the line and drew a superb save from Carl before that last min equiliser . No more than they deserved but we should never have allowed it to happen. 😡
Finish on a positive. Still unbeaten at home, 8 without a loss I think and another point away from the bottom four.
onto Sat and Oxford UTI 👊💥👏😳

its MK’s way. Once we’re ahead, Sit on the lead.

Sat on my couch watching, I have nothing but admiration for those fans that have turned up week after week to watch this dire stuff throughout this freezing miserable winter. Especially tonight.

Its hard enough to watch on TV sat in comfort.
Me too, first home league match I've missed for a long time. Easier, cheaper and marginally less painful than rushing over after work.
2 decisions today. First to not go, second to not bet on the draw at 1-0 up. 50% success rate!!

Christ that was nearly as bad as the away game at their place a month or so ago. We really are a boring negative team to watch with entertainment limited to say the least. MK will put a positive spin on that yet again but he’s getting more bleeding annoying with every bullsh*t interview he gives. Stop being so back foot negative and defensive you boring, predictable snowflake.

Promising night which started so well and ended so disappointingly.

We were excellent in the first 25 mins, total control, looked like we would see a comfortable win. Diamond and Mandriou looking good on the wings, Teddy running the centre- defence absolutely rock solid and Rushworth with nothing to do at all.

For whatever reason we started to concede possession which turned the game around into a nullfied battle in the middle and the last 20 mins were both quiet in terms of opportunity and quiet in terms of intensity. MK are a very high possession team- they had 50% possession against Ipswich last Saturday- they hold possession very well. So it wasn't a surprise to us that they began to control possession.

Second half. they probably had a couple of half chances and we had 3 or 4 half chances but apart from a good reaction save from Rushworth, neither goalkeeper was really put to the test.

Frustrating to concede in the 89th minute to a set piece but the clowns who booed a team unbeaten at home all season and now unbeaten in 8 games- same clowns who booed the L2 winning team on the last game of the season 4 years ago because we were 3-0 down to Colchester at half time- just embarrassing.

Not sure what is going on with Diamond- he seems a very frustrated player at the moment and 2nd half particularly he just lost his head. There is a good player in there somewhere but probably not at Championship level.

Stats show 15 attempts on goal (MK and Imps) and 6 on target. Not a game I'll remember but I remember there are dozens upon dozens of games I'll not remember over the years. This is just another. For the record though- we haven't lost a single game all season when we have scored first.

A point gained- definitely. Two points dropped- it feels like it this time.

Frustrated, disappointed but pragmatic.

Christ that was nearly as bad as the away game at their place a month or so ago. We really are a boring negative team to watch with entertainment limited to say the least. MK will put a positive spin on that yet again but he’s getting more bleeding annoying with every bullsh*t interview he gives. Stop being so back foot negative and defensive you boring, predictable snowflake.

OK, you're right on the points you make, but there is no need whatsoever to get personal.

For every Derby Ipswich we have a MK Dons and FGR
We manage to lose control of the game without any real opposition to the style we set on
Encouraging start and the press looked like paying dividends every time
Wonder strike and the 3 points would come with a couple of more goals
Oh Dear that was Doncaster Gillingham kind of frustration last season in the second half and most of us I’m sure had the exact sense of this will end up a draw
We sat far to deep with no outlet and as other have said Diamond and Mandriou both excellent players but don’t do the basics well enough to help the team out
Football eh!

The possession stats are absolute bullshit.
They may have had the ball that amount of time but at least 90% of it was in their own third and around the halfway line. They never troubled our 18 yard box never mind our keeper in the fist half.

Second half they were better and had some decent technical players but my god we should have put the game to bed way before their equaliser.

Fantastic goal from Mandroiu but again although what he did he did well he didn't influence or dominate the game enough for the amount of talent he has.

We are so lacking upfront it's unreal and I'm sure the relevant people know this. I know I'm talking with hindsight here but Plange just offers nothing. Fair play to him I can't fault his effort but he just is not up to this standard which is surprising considering the moves he has had.My opinion is that we should of given Kendall this time and opportunity to see what he can do after all Kennedy was before the match talking about having our own players and not loanees of which Kendall is a goalscorer and one of our own.

In summary, great start and brilliant goal.
Not a lot more happened first half apart from seeing if MK could break the world record for most sideways and backwards passes in 45 minutes of football of which I'm sure they were pretty dam close.

Second half they had a bit more intent and we had enough attacks that should of seen them off.

The feeling and talk around me was that it would end 1 each, you could just sense it and Rushworth made one good save and we headed one off the line before the inevitable happened and they equalised.

Not a great game to watch but yet again we fail to win at home against a team that really wanted battering.It was two nice teams who were incapable of hurting each other. We really do need to add a nasty streak to our play as well as play pretty football or the better teams in this league when we play them will just steamroller us.

I love being hard to beat. Really solid team we are at the moment and that's a progress from last season.

Trouble is we haven't got enough tools up front to win games. Only one striker. Not bad but not very effective wingers.
Desperate defending of one goal lead isn't also the best way to win games as we have seen today. Being too negative isn't helpful.
So small margins though. They didn't score that late goal or we got one more as we could and probably should have and we're laughing. Sound and safe in mid table.
Now with two points dropped we are somewhere between.
Hate football sometimes lol

[QUOTE="clanford… No more than they deserved but we should never have allowed it to happen. 😡 …Finish on a positive. Still unbeaten at home, 8 without a loss I think and another point away from the bottom four.
onto Sat and Oxford UTI 👊💥👏😳[/QUOTE]

And probably another low scoring draw.

We may be impressively unbeaten at home, but the problem we have created is that every team in League One knows a point is in the offing at Lincoln. When is a fortress not a fortress?

We have an excellent goalkeeper and some excellent defenders. But I don't care how good they are. If you allow the opposition ,even one as poor as MK Don's, nearly 70% of the possession they will eventually create some chances. It was obvious about ten mins into the second half that we had decided to sit back and hold the one nil. These tactics baffle me against poor teams like this. Every one in the ground was expecting them to equalise. I fully realise we have a pathetically physically weak forward line that kept giving possession back to MK Don's and this doesn't help. Hopefully these and other problems will be rectified In the summer.
However, I think we will crawl our way to mid table safety this season.
I am also willing to make a bold prediction that it will be a draw on Saturday!

MK has already alluded to knowing what the squad needs, and this is surely integral. I think tonight again demonstrated where the weaknesses are.
Every manager can bleat about knowing what their squad needs, it’s his job to coach, motivate and tactically prepare the players we have at this moment. At this moment MK has shown he is a one trick pony as a coach. We have seen so many times the total negativity that seems to be brain washed into the players whenever we go ahead to sit back, stop pressing, let them have the ball and hope they don’t score and we might win 1-0 because we have decent defenders and a top class Keeper. Do we ever work on any attacking phases of play other than kick it long to Poole and hope he wins a flick on header.

They were awful. One of the worst this season in the away end. Small in numbers and barely even supporting their team. Plastic club with crap fans. Is there anything worse than this ...

Every manager can bleat about knowing what their squad needs, it’s his job to coach, motivate and tactically prepare the players we have at this moment. At this moment MK has shown he is a one trick pony as a coach. We have seen so many times the total negativity that seems to be brain washed into the players whenever we go ahead to sit back, stop pressing, let them have the ball and hope they don’t score and we might win 1-0 because we have decent defenders and a top class Keeper. Do we ever work on any attacking phases of play other than kick it long to Poole and hope he wins a flick on header.

MK knows what he wants, but it will take time. Not one window, but several, a bit like previous managers. He knows what he wants unlike MA.

MK might be too pragmatic (or negative if you like) but you're not very positive neither lol sorry no offense, just saying.
I don't like what we've got in the end but if we didn't conceded that late equaliser then it would be another three points and another clean sheet and I would love it. Football..
I think he is doing ok with the squad at his disposal

The first half was the epitome of tedium where we were out bored by the opposition. No idea why they played like that when they desperately need wins, they were losing and they proved in the second half with the help of the substitutes they had some threat.
Second half was a little more entertaining mainly due to Sorenson's identical twin making an appearance on the right. That was easily the best 40 minutes I have seen him play. Would want to see him there again but could potentially see him as standout on the right side of midfield whereas before today seeing him as a standout anywhere would be unthinkable.
Poor old Plange was mercifully replaced by House and we looked stronger. The central forward is so isolated in that system it's a thankless task and a testament to House that he does it so well.
Montsma will make a difference, should allow the midfielders to move forwards a bit more and if Virtue is close to fitness you would have to think him, Bishop & Erhahon would all be on the pitch at the same time.