Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Problem is we'll recruit more of the same as that's 'the model'. We need some muscle and some nouse in the side.
Agreed. Also players like Eden that can keep the ball, find a team mate, and track play up and down the pitch. We put effort in, but not in areas that are effective and productive. We need that mix of experience and a little flair. Those players that can make the right decisions on and off the ball. But then, everyone wants those players, and we don’t have the pockets.

First time in SB for nearly 2 years, thought we were about to witness a change in fortune but always looked vulnerable against a side who played with pace throughout.

2 goals I see credited to Twine, and a near assist for the 3rd, so Bottler Boyson has to be their MotM.

I thought we played well, I dont think anyone had a 'bad' game but too many made mistakes at crucial times and we were too deep and ineffectually so 2nd half, in the end the luck went against us as we always looked like scoring whenever we got into their box, but they got the ball fall just right for the 2nd and the deflection for the 3rd. Fine margins but, you make your own luck.

I agree, but we can't play long ball either. Quite a conundrum.

Yes a conundrum and I wouldn't want to see long ball after long ball. However, we have to play to our strengths and not ask players to do what they can't. We invite trouble and pressure on ourselves and at times end up going down a rabbit warren. You can play out from the back with the right players and that costs, that is why we are in league 1 and if things don't change we'll be in league 2, I doubt playing out from the back in that leauge will give us the results we desire.

Didn’t think Ref got too much wrong actually, and wasn’t a contributor to our downfall.
The players are playing to their ability, and we can’t fault the effort. They are just not up to standard collectively. It isn’t going to change for the better on it’s own. As a few have been saying for a while, this is a squad that needs a major overhaul. Effort alone isn’t going to get us through at this level.

Sometimes worse when you play well and get beat.

We have a massive fight on our hands, January is massive - and lessons learnt from an abysmal summer.

We can play out of the back at times very well, first goal started with a superb pacy, accurate pass from Poole.

But the decision making sometimes is suspect, that happened last season too..

The difference is ball retention further forward, where we really miss Grant, Johnson and Rogers.

What I liked from the 1st-8th minute was that we pressed MK Dons back. As soon as we went 2-0 up, we lacked presence anywhere on the pitch. We got the ball forward, but no one up to tap in the crosses. No one to put pressure on opponents bring the ball forward. I feel sorry for our back line, they have nothing in front of them to give them protection. Nothing at all. A weakened defence is going to make errors if the ball is being carried right up to the front door all game. Midfield support to the forwards and defence is woeful. Not tracking back, standing off and not getting a challenge in, failing to hold the ball going forward. While I was expecting the likes of Fiorini and Sorenson to need development, I was expecting much more from Bishop and Maguire.

Didn’t think Ref got too much wrong actually, and wasn’t a contributor to our downfall.
The players are playing to their ability, and we can’t fault the effort. They are just not up to standard collectively. It isn’t going to change for the better on it’s own. As a few have been saying for a while, this is a squad that needs a major overhaul. Effort alone isn’t going to get us through at this level.
He got the match changing decision wrong, Twine raised his hand to McGrandles, eight in front of us. That's a straight red, not a yellow.

Then compounded it by finger wagging after the Bridcutt 'handbags' moment.

Yes we contributed by poor defending, but MK should have been down to 10.

The recruitment in January is now absolutely crucial. Especially as Mapp said in the week we wouldn't see Hopper or Walsh until February. 1 or 2 in won't be enough we need 4 or 5. And they need to be able to bed in straightaway , which is highly unlikely.
Obviously financing this will not be easy, we have players on long term contracts who are simply not good enough. I can't see us shifting any of them easily.
Plus if you sell your better players like Scully to finance it you are going to weaken an already poor team.
Somebody needs to burning the midnight oil to come up with a mini miracle to stop this slide into danger.

He got the match changing decision wrong, Twine raised his hand to McGrandles, eight in front of us. That's a straight red, not a yellow.

Fair enough. It didn’t look like a red on iFollow. That’s even more annoying then!

He gently pushed McGrandles. Never a sending off. Then he got pushed over by Bridcutt for trying to get the ball from the net. Also never a sending off.

What can MA do to change things for the Rotherham game? Can’t think of too many options open to him. I’ll be happy if we can keep it down to 0-4, which sums things up. Better that we are away I suppose.

What can MA do to change things for the Rotherham game? Can’t think of too many options open to him. I’ll be happy if we can keep it down to 0-4, which sums things up. Better that we are away I suppose.

He could react to the situation that unfolds in front of his eyes. Give a bit of guidance, substitute the players that are underperforming. Try and nullify the obvious areas of strength for the opposition. Spot their weaknesses and exploit them. General football management really.

Well, that was depressing. As soon as they pulled a goal back it was all so predictable - but the crucial point of the match was Fiorini not making it 3-1.

We did well in midfield in the first half, but after the break couldn't keep up the same standard. Whether that was down to Milton Keynes' efforts I can't say, but Bishop hardly seemed to be in the game after the break and it was no surprise when he went off.

Fiorini had done all right until that missed chance, and although it seems silly to say so, one almost wonders if his substitution was a sort of 'punishment' for missing it.

I too thought Draper should have been on earlier.

I'm still waiting for the inquest on how Twine was left on his own to score their crucial first goal. Eyoma was nowhere in sight, and by the time McGrandles ran back it was too late.