Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s

Finally got round to watching the game on i-Follow. That was a bizarre game. When the teams came out Man U looked like a team of schoolboys with American football numbers on their backs. The game almost played out like the Imps were too scared to tackle them for fear of breaking them in half. We certainly didn't give them a physical game, which I expected a bit from the players making a bid for the first team. Thought Aaron Lewis had a reasonably good game and has proved himself a good enough deputy for Eardley. Melbourne had quite a steady game also, but wasn't tested physically like he would be in L1. Too early to tell for Hesketh as he's not fully fit/match sharp yet, but showed some bright touches. Big John didn't impose himself at all against their young CBs - disappointing as he's been playing well this year coming off the bench. The oddest performance for me is Harry Anderson. Since the Cowleys departure he just seems to have lost his mojo. I wonder if its because he believed in them so much he would run through brick walls for them, but he now looks a bit lost. Maybe he needs some psychotherapy to get his brain back on track and realise he's a pro footballer - these things happen but he's still got the ability - he just needs to believe in himself. Think Andrade needs to take over until Harry can get himself motivated again.

I thought Anderson started slowing down a bit in their final games.

It's really weird how he had a strong run then his form completely drops, even allowed for the fact he's a young winger and wingers are inconsistent in their prime! Never seems a gradual decline with him.

It’s consistently happened with Anderson since he came here- fantastic starts, tails off towards mid season

I think because Harry has been with us for such a long time it's easy to overlook that he's still only 22 years old so in many ways still a young lad learning his trade. Realistically the only manager he's known during his career is DC so his leaving may have affected Harry more than other players who have seen managers come and go.

I think because Harry has been with us for such a long time it's easy to overlook that he's still only 22 years old so in many ways still a young lad learning his trade. Realistically the only manager he's known during his career is DC so his leaving may have affected Harry more than other players who have seen managers come and go.

It's a good point, well made. Definitely something for the coaches and Harry to look at.

Maybe Harry Anderson's 'burn-out' is down to him doing a fair amount of defensive work as well. No doubt about his contribution & helping Eardley out, but is having to defend impacting on his blistering pace attacking FBs (ie, is he too knackered to get past them because he is coming forward from the RB position sometimes & doesn't have the stamina to do both?).

Shock Horror - 22 year old burns out after a dozen games???

Or Shock horror, 22 year old winger has odd game when not on top form??

Take your pick.

The fact he scored more goals in first half of the last 2 seasons, may have many reasons or none. It is hardly conclusive evidence of anything.

If it does suggests anything - it might have more to do with how teams defended later in season when we were in or around top of the league.

Anderson is best in open games, when he finds space to run into and can also get on the end of things in the box. Packed defences reduces this and his long range shooting isn't his forte.

Have n't detected any particular tail off in Anderson's performances after Christmas myself.

He may only be 22, but the counterpoint is that he has already played 177 games in professional football. For what it's worth, I think he has been affected by the Cowleys' departure more than anyone and will have to rebuild in his own mind.